Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

15 Years of Command & Conquer - A Video Retrospective

Our friends at CNCSaga.de have posted a new fan made video that takes a retrospective look back at the 15 year history of the Command & Conquer franchise. You can watch this new video below.

For those Command & Conquer fans who don't consider Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight to be part of the series, here's a link to different version of the same video where it doesn't make an appearance at all.

Lovely. Though I would have preferred more stellar editing (MLG-esque if you know what I mean). And I miss Hell March 2 (my fave version). Or the music could've been a bit more epic (not that I have anything against using C&C tracks). >:D

THey seem to ignore all the expansions...

THey seem to ignore all the expansions...

We haven´t ignored any critic from the last video. That is not right, what you think. We have taken every critic to heart and had transposed them. Sadly, we couldn´t transposed everything. And to the topic Sole Survivor: Firstly: It was only a Online-Game-variation from Tiberian Dawn. So it was not a great part in the C&C-History. Secondly: It was not really published. Thirdly: If we are going to implement Sole Survivor, then we must integrate Tibeian Incursion and "Tiberium". The Video would be too long.

We haven´t ignored any critic from the last video. That is not right, what you think. We have taken every critic to heart and had transposed them. Sadly, we couldn´t transposed everything. And to the topic Sole Survivor: Firstly: It was only a Online-Game-variation from Tiberian Dawn. So it was not a great part in the C&C-History. Secondly: It was not really published. Thirdly: If we are going to implement Sole Survivor, then we must integrate Tibeian Incursion and "Tiberium". The Video would be too long.

I don't think he was referring to Sole Survivor.

Secondly: It was not really published. Thirdly: If we are going to implement Sole Survivor, then we must integrate Tibeian Incursion and "Tiberium". The Video would be too long.

Sole Survivor was released to the general public, it is not on the same boat as Incursion, Continuum or Tiberium.

I find it amusing that they even made a version without C&C4. Just goes to show how far the series has fallen.

Sole Survivor was released to the general public, it is not on the same boat as Incursion, Continuum or Tiberium.

Not in germany.

It was released, but only in the USA. Where it failed to generate enough interest. Whish is why they didn't release it in the rest of the world. Still, I got a copy :P

But anyway, Sole Survivor didn't even cross my mind when I was watching this. I'm talking about the actual game expansion packs. About C&C: The Covert Operations, RA: Counterstrike, RA: The Aftermath, TS: Firestorm, RA2: Yuri's Revenge, Generals: Zero Hour, C&C3: Kane's Wrath, and RA3: Uprising.

Seems like a LOT of C&C history you skipped there. Especially on TS: firestorm, which is one of the best pieces of the C&C storyline in my opinion.

It was released, but only in the USA. But I was just talking about the game expansions. About C&C: The Covert Operations, RA: Counterstrike, RA: The Aftermath, TS: Firestorm, RA2: Yuri's Revenge, Generals: Zero Hour and C&C3: Kane's Wrath.

Seems like a LOT of C&C history you skipped there.

THIS GAMES are all ADD ONs! Not the reale game. we have only the maingames, look the video now is 9:56 Mins, waht can we do for the add ons, all parts 10 sec? I dont think so.

A lot of them add important parts of the storyline, that's all I'm saying.

It's a shame you didn't include the expansions, because as Nyerguds said, they are pretty important. Firestorm was important storyline, Zero Hour was superior gameplay, and some would say Yuri has better CGI.

Still, Merry Christmas and thanks for all your hard work.

THIS GAMES are all ADD ONs! Not the reale game. we have only the maingames, look the video now is 9:56 Mins, waht can we do for the add ons, all parts 10 sec? I dont think so.

You can give them each about 21 seconds since the normal Youtube limit is 15 min.

I saw some expansion units in that video...

I also saw the pre-release Avatar cannons.

the normal Youtube limit is 15 min.

Since when?

15 years of C&C is a lot of time, lots of games and lots of fan reaction, I recently did a research on Gamespot (which has been around since 1996) to see how well the franchise has scored amongst the fans, as you may know maximun score is 10 and lowest is 1.0, here is what I got:

Command & Conquer

9.0 (3,488 votes)

Command & Conquer: The Cover Operations

7.2 (525 votes)

Command & Conquer Red Alert

9.1 (5,733 votes)

Command & Conquer Sole Survivor

6.4 (121 votes)

Command & Conquer Red Alert: Counterstrike

7.4 (861 votes)

Command & Conquer Red Alert: The Aftermath

8.4 (1,146 votes)

Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun

8.2 (4,203 votes)

Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun: Firestorm

8.2 (1,540 votes)

Command & Conquer Red Alert 2

8.8 (9,492 votes)

Command & Conquer Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge

8.7 (4,050 votes)

Command & Conquer Renegade

8.1 (3,018 votes)

Command & Conquer Generals

8.6 (8,105 votes)

Command & Conquer Generals: Zero Hour

8.9 (7,915 votes)

Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars

8.9 (12,377 votes)

Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath

8.3 (2,537 votes)

Command & Conquer Red Alert 3

7.7 (4,189 votes)

Command & Conquer Red Alert 3: Uprising

7.0 (549 votes)

Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight

3.9 (2,040 votes)

It's interesting to notice some things:

-Except for ZH no expansion has surpassed it's original game.

-Older games not necesarily had the highest amount of votes, but none newer games, so the votes are not really affected by the amount of time past.

-While recent EA C&C games have the lowest scores, WW C&C games had their own drawbacks.

-Zero Hour and Tiberium Wars are the EA C&C games with highest scores, Generals and Tiberium Wars have the major amount of votes, thus making the Generals and Tiberian sagas the strong points of EA, while RA3 and Uprising were just good at best.

-Games with the lowest scores, Sole Survivor and Tiberian Twilight, are those which went too far away from the RTS mechanics, not actually the C&C formula, but RTS in general.

-C&C 3 has been the only sequel which has surpassed it's predecessor.

-Except for RA2, no light-hearted designed game has managed to do better than more serious themed and realistic releases.

-The overall score of the franchise goes from 7 to 9, with RA being the only game with surpassing it, while C&C4 is the only one going below 5.

It may be interesting if we could get also the info about how much money was required to develop these games and how much they made.

-Except for ZH no expansion has surpassed it's original game.

No surprise there. Whereas Generals was a bit disappointing, Zero Hour is a pretty decent game.

Still, in my opinion, every expansion exceeded its original.

Since when?

YouTube made that change 2 or 3 months ago

-Zero Hour and Tiberium Wars are the EA C&C games with highest scores, Generals and Tiberium Wars have the major amount of votes, thus making the Generals and Tiberian sagas the strong points of EA, while RA3 and Uprising were just good at best

How can Generals be better than RA3???? :o

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

@Plotkie, it's not necessarily better. It's just that more people seem to have paid attention to both games. Strong points in the sense that they have more attention received, and have (possibly) more fans. In my opinion, Tiberium Wars was really pretty good, and Zero Hour really made Generals fun and enjoyable (and balanced some issues out). RA3 is still pretty fun, so is Uprising, but it deviated greatly from the resource gathering method pioneered by C&C (namely, harvesting) and replaced that system/method with a method that's far too similar to, say, Rise of Nations, or maybe Warhammer 40,000.

While you can actually have your own personal opinions I am showing you factual information, I am not saying that you are wrong or right about what C&C is better, but from an strictly statistical point of view the numbers has the best argument for showing how much the franchise has been socre through the years, you may dismiss this data in favour of your personal point of view, but so far as we know it's a more reliable source to see the whole picture.

And besides there are too many "C&C died for me with X game in X year".

How can Generals be better than RA3???? :o

It was in my opinion...

It was in my opinion...

Mine too, and the data supports our point of view so... that means...

YOU EA BETTER LISTEN TO US BCS WE REFLECT THE OPINION OF YOUR CUSTOMERS WHO MAKE YOU EARN MONEY! :hate::angry:

onizukarage.jpg

Well, jokes and nerdrage aside, it seems Generals is the main reason why EA decided to keep going with the C&C franchise, so, I guess in some way thanks to Generals we have C&C3.

Edited by General Kane Nash

@Kane Nash, I'm not dismissing the statistical facts. Hehe. Actually, I agree with it; I'm just trying to say why I agree with it, and the possible (though not necessarily correct) reasons why the facts were, well, that.

Haha, nice one Kane Nash. Some good old GTO treatment is exactly what EA needs IMO :P

Generals/Zero Hour better than RA3? Still holds true today. Even C&C3 has more votes than RA1. I believe now that EA still has no idea where to left off in C&C now since Generals and I will guarantee now that EA has forgotten what they did to C&C Generals/Zero Hour. When will EA ever make Generals 2?