trunkskgb

How to play C&C 95 on a 64 bit OS

Like the topic suggest I am trying to find out how to install and successfully run Dawn on a 64 bit system. When I used to play on XP I had to change the compatibility settings and install an XP patch to play but it won't even launch the setup.exe file on my 64 bit OS.

I looked around the forums here the other night and saw one or two topics and one of them said something about a setup manager but I can't seem to find that topic again.

I have the Worldwide Warefare pack, I'm aware of the OpenRA(source implementation) and the free download of Dawn on the EA website. I just want to get this game installed again on my PC so I can play. I'm not really worried about playing online , but if I can I might. I'd rather just get the missions and I would be fine with those. :)

My specs are

Win 7x64

ATI 5800 series

6 gig ram

intel core i7 930 proc

Well, the CD installers simply don't work anymore, since they're 16-bit programs... but there are still ways of installing it, if you don't mind downloading a bit more...

C&C95:

RA95:

That's it. All done :)

OK, I got Dawn to work fine now. Thank you very much. However when I launch the game, the main screen is distorted with all sorts of colors. Once I select to play the game, and come back to the screen, it's fine. It's a weird problem, not a big deal but if there is a fix I would like to know how.

Also, I noticed that none of the movies loaded. Is that because it's a free download and it's been nerfed?

I got RA to work as well. I downloaded the "- Red Alert 3.03 patch created by Westwood Studios, edited by Nyerguds to add TFD support and extra fixes (EXE installer)... like you said. I also this too.....

- RA1 v3.03 Network DLL Patch v1.00 created by Scorpio9a, edited by Nyerguds for RA 3.03 (DLL)

Did I download the right one and what is the 2nd one?

Also, I noticed that none of the movies loaded. Is that because it's a free download and it's been nerfed?

I believe the videos add an extra GB or something. I believe there's a place where you can download them but I'm not sure where.

OK, I got Dawn to work fine now. Thank you very much. However when I launch the game, the main screen is distorted with all sorts of colors. Once I select to play the game, and come back to the screen, it's fine. It's a weird problem, not a big deal but if there is a fix I would like to know how.

...not sure what could cause this, unless the DirectX compatibility is acting up. Did you install the 1.06c patch as I instructed?

Downloading CnC-DDraw (link is on my patch site) probably fixes that though. Note that it needs some configuring; it runs the game in windowed mode by default.

Seriously. Read, people. At least Plokite_Wolf got it.

If you want to play with your CDs, go to the game folder and open "conquer.ini", and change the "NoCD=1" to "NoCD=0". In the other case, I advise downloading the movies pack from the same page.

And if that didn't do it, then the Digiex page could've given a couple of clues...

Download: Complete No-CD game installation pack (v1.06b revision 2, no videos, all music included): 98.8 MB

Download: Videos Addon (original English videos): 467.6 MB

Just un-rar the video addon to your install folder and you can now play through the campaign complete with all the cut scenes.

If you have the original CDs or ISOs, and prefer using them for videos, just go to the folder where you installed the game, open the file conquer.ini in notepad and change the line NoCD=1 to NoCD=0.

As for the rest...

I got RA to work as well. I downloaded the "- Red Alert 3.03 patch created by Westwood Studios, edited by Nyerguds to add TFD support and extra fixes (EXE installer)... like you said. I also this too.....

- RA1 v3.03 Network DLL Patch v1.00 created by Scorpio9a, edited by Nyerguds for RA 3.03 (DLL)

Did I download the right one and what is the 2nd one?

You didn't need to download and install the dll. Again, you need to learn to read better. The last paragraph of the Red Alert 3.03 patch explanation says:

It contains the Snow Theater 'Smudge' Graphics Fix and Aftermath mission "Situation Critical" fix (both made by MrFlibble), and also has options to install extras like the normal-sized infantry, the network DLL patch, and, for the German version, game uncensoring.

So yeah, the network patch is already in there, and if you had looked at the install's options while installing you should even have seen it in there. Seeing as you so obviously didn't, let me assure you, installing it is enabled by default.

Ok, I pretty got Dawn all squared away and I've made it to the eleventh mission tonight. Thanks a bunch Nyer. I also want to say that the save files I have for the missions that I downloaded EONS ago, still work. I also have a file called C&C Gold Edit that is kind of like Tib Ed, only it's for Dawn only. That still works for your patched version of Dawn. If you want it I could upload it somewhere.

Once I finish with Dawn I will play Red Alert. :)

Thanks again.

Be careful with using savegames... some missions have special options that are now saved in savegames. Seeing as the original game didn't load or save those in savegames (but rather, just checked on side and mission number to enable them), they will not be there in older savegames.

This includes the fact helicopters stay passive in Nod mission #7C, and the fact the Advanced Comm. Center is capturable in Nod mission #12. Seeing as both of those are vital to accomplishing the mission, you might want to restart savegames you got of these missions :P

Oh, and I know about Gold Edit... better not to use such tools, since they edit the game's exe directly. You can do some serious damage with it. Especially since I'm going to make sure they won't work on future versions, simply by giving C&C real ini rules files.

Oh really? Well so far I've just been breezing through the game without having to use those files. I did skip 2 missions I think and I turned to the saved files, but I didn't have any problems with them.

As far as the CnC editor goes, I don't change much. Just some prices and speed of units. The light tank is ridiculously slow in Dawn and I set it to the same speed as the APC. That's about all I do with that, but it's good that you may include an ini file to work in the future.

I've seen your name a lot recently on these forums that are trying to revive this game, you seem to be the #1 guy, so keep up the good work!

Hopefully, I'll soon have the time to implement a complete text-based modding system, meaning you won't need that kind of tools anymore.

What other kind of ideas you have up your a sleeve? A map editing tool perhaps? Working skirmish(as in...AI deploys MCV and builds a base)? Or is that too much code?

I was reading a topic of yours here....http://forums.cncnz.com/index.php?showtopic=13910.... and I was interested in the color scheme. Where do I got to edit that? I looked in my directory but I only had one file I could mess with, the "conquer" file which is configuration settings.

Heh, that's because you're missing a step there. To view all of C&C's internal files, you need XCC Mixer, from the XCC Utilities pack, which can open the game's .mix archives. Some of those, like general.mix and sc-000/sc-001.mix contain the missions ;)

You can get that pack here. Click on "Utilities" in the sidebar, and download the "XCC Utilities" pack from there.

Missions are the files of the name type SCG01EA.INI, where the G (Goodguy, GDI) can also be B (Badguy, Nod), or M (Multiplayer maps), the number after that is just the mission number (larger than 19 means Covert Ops), and the EA prefix can also be EB, EC, WA, WB, WC (for normal missions). Every mission or map is a pair of files though; each one is both a .ini and a .bin file. The .bin is the raw terrain in a binary file, the .ini is a text file describing which units, trees, walls etc to put on it, together with other settings and mission programming.

XCC Utilities contains a map/mission editor, btw. A guide to using this tool, XCC Editor, can be found here:
http://www.cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=435.0

Note that if you start messing with these, you should really make file extensions visible in your Windows -_-

As for working skirmish, really, I've said this multiple times, I'd love to do that, but it's completely impossible. The C&C1 base building AI is dumb to nonexistent.

I don't claim to know much about coding a game, but if you write up an INI file here eventually, couldn't you set up the AI functions of a skirmish there? I know in Red Alert that all the functions of the AI are in the INI file. I know that's a different game but I was just wondering about it.

I don't think that is possible. Sorry. :(

... couldn't you set up the AI functions of a skirmish there? I know in Red Alert that all the functions of the AI are in the INI file....

You could set it up in the ini files BUT you still need the functions to call upon from the exe file, and this is the problem, he would more or less be starting from scratch which is a lot of work. It is do-able but without the source It would take a long time to implement even with a team of experianced people. In the sort term it isnt worth it and with out some sort of revalation it doesnt look like it will be worth it in the long run.

The functions just don't EXIST. RA has AI settings in its rules.ini. Sure, I could copy all of those settings into some ini file and dump it into the game folder. Guess what the game will do with a bunch of ini keys it never heard of? That's right, it'll just plain ignore them. Obviously.

New keys added by the 1.06 patch shouldn't be taken for granted; every single one of them means I personally wrote the logics for the game to read it, AND for the game to change its behaviour accordingly. The only exceptions to this are the new rules.ini and conquer.ini options which were leftovers from old Westwood beta testing stuff.

The only thing I could do in the map's ini is make scenario scripting in it, and then, frankly, I'm just making a single player mission, not skirmish. And even then, base building (actually, REbuilding) logic doesn't even work for more than one AI. The buildings don't have an owner set in the script, so all AIs with a construction yard actually end up COMPETING over the build spots. I've seen this behaviour myself; you destroy a building of the green AI, and immediately, a building of the orange AI pops up in its place. If you try to make em all build bases, you have a huge chance one ends up with too many power plants and no refineries, and another one has built all refineries but has no power or production faclities. And if they're hostile, they'll even start destroying eachother's stuff built in the wrong base.

On top of that, if we talk about multiplayer-based skirmish, multiplayer mode ignores 90% of all mission scripting. Any unit pre-placed on the map, or created by an AI, will ignore any orders that it was given, and immediately go attack the most northern opponent. Add to that the fact that any waypoint put on the map (to serve as path to guide AI patrols and attack groups) will also serve as possible player start location, and you're starting to scratch the tip of the iceberg of what kind of mess we're facing here.

I'm not doing it. It's really that simple. The AI for RA1 was pretty much completely rewritten to make it more autonomous, and that's something I simply can't do in C&C1, especially not without thoroughly screwing up its normal single player mission behaviour.

For make an AI MCV Deploy, simple put "Unload" in the action. You can put in max (i think) 6 Houses into a Mission (there is 10 houses in the game) but just ONE of then can build things... (due there's not the name of the owner in the [base] section

For the Color section: You can read how to do it here: http://forums.cncnz.com/index.php?showtopic=13910

(read the 2nd post)

collorplay.png

A small play with that.

Nyer: Remember you removed the Blossom Tree of the village on GDI Mission 8 B, so the previous Savegames will be WITH that tree.

(btw nyer, you should add the "Fixed: Wchat launches C&C95 in Load game menu" in your v1.06c topic development. =D)

Edited by pichorra

-There's no restriction on how many houses are used in one mission, and I explained that multiple AIs with (re)building WORKS, but not as it should (because of the lack of ownership settings in the rebuilding list). For initial base buildup this could maybe be somewhat controlled by ordering the list correctly (list order = build priority) in pairs of buildings so each of 2 AIs builds one, and, that way, make the bases perfectly equal in content, but even then I wouldn't bet anything on them building everything correctly and not switching a few buildings once in a while. And when the attacking and REbuilding starts it'll be the same mess anyway.

-Did you actually get a game running with WChat though? If not, there's little sense in mentioning it. Personally I've never gotten a WChat game to work. And if you DID get a game going, I'm still going to look into correctly centering that window first :P

-There's really no need to repost the colour schemes stuff here; if he wants to ask stuff about that, he should just post it in the 1.06c dev thread or in solo's colour schemes topic in my forum.

Hi guys, I'm having a very infuriating issue with playing C&C95 on my win 8 64 bit os!

I have already installed the 1.06 patch but it still isn't displaying properly (Sidebar not showing so can't build anything) and mouse issues (Scrolling way to fast)... I've also been through the c&c95 setup program to set it up to my resolution but that didn't help, tried compatibility through properties and again it didn't work and disabled scaling

NOTE: It almost worked before I installed the 1.06 patch

Any ideas?

Also my specs are:-

• AMD A8-6500 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (Quad core)
  • AMD Radeon HD 8570D (4gb)
  • 8 gb RAM
  • WIN 8.1 64 bit
  • 1 TB HDD

Guest Rabbit

Are there any particular errors that are popping up, or is it just not starting? Any details might help.

Are there any particular errors that are popping up, or is it just not starting? Any details might help.

Mouse scrolling ridiculously fast, sidebar not appearing so unable to build anything... The game runs fine apart from them issues

Sidebar not appearing?! Ehh, all you need to do to make the sidebar appear is pressing the [tab] key, or clicking the "sidebar" button with your mouse. It normally pops up on its own when you get construction options. I never heard of a problem with the sidebar opening before.

As for the scroll problem, the CCConfig tool has a "limit frame rate" option, which should handle it. In fact, the tool specifically says that it helps to fix the fast scroll bug.

If the sidebar doesn't show up you might need to enable the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" compatibility setting on C&C95.exe. if that doesn't work you need to lower the DPI scaling setting for Windows.

You think it just plain falls off the side because of cut off image?

If that's the case, well, SatansApostle89, you should really have described that better -_-