Sign in to follow this  
Wee_Ooh

So...what's the deal with TFD on Win7?

Nearly every game has some kind of error for me. Is it just me?

C&C95's colors don't display correctly. (Already saw the other thread on this, so I'll give that a shot.)

Red Alert has the same problem.

Tiberian Sun used to come up with an error that said something along the lines of "Some DLL files missing. Please reinstall.", but I just tried it again and it went to a black screen with an error message that said "Failed to initialize. Please reinstall.". Now when I click on it nothing happens at all. >_>

Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge does absolutely nothing when I click on it.

Renegade works! :D

Generals/Zero Hour works, but I can't seem to play games over LAN with my brother on an XP machine.

I have the unofficial 1.3 patch if that makes a difference. Do I have the worst luck, or what? >_>

Uninstall everything, remove leftover registry keys, run CCleaner, reboot and run another install of it.

If that fails, reinstall Windows. That fixes everything.

Uninstall everything, remove leftover registry keys, run CCleaner, reboot and run another install of it.

If that fails, reinstall Windows. That fixes everything.

How convenient! :D

Yeah, I'll give that a shot. I've gotta get a new disk first, though. Old ones broken, and apparently my friend's doesn't install correctly. >_>

Not worth reinstalling Windows, though. >_>

Nearly every game has some kind of error for me. Is it just me?

C&C95's colors don't display correctly. (Already saw the other thread on this, so I'll give that a shot.)

Red Alert has the same problem.

Tiberian Sun used to come up with an error that said something along the lines of "Some DLL files missing. Please reinstall.", but I just tried it again and it went to a black screen with an error message that said "Failed to initialize. Please reinstall.". Now when I click on it nothing happens at all. >_>

Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge does absolutely nothing when I click on it.

Renegade works! :D

Generals/Zero Hour works, but I can't seem to play games over LAN with my brother on an XP machine.

I have the unofficial 1.3 patch if that makes a difference. Do I have the worst luck, or what? >_>

Uninstall everything. Reinstall everything AS ADMINISTRATOR. Run any patches AS ADMINISTRATOR. Run the games AS ADMINISTRATOR.

Are you running the games through the TFD menu, btw? If not, your problem with RA2 might be that you try to run game.exe directly rather than running RA2.exe

As for C&C1, install 1.06c patch, add 1.06c hotfix, install CnC-ddraw.

As for RA1, install 3.03 patch, install CnC-ddraw.

Nyerguds to the rescue :thumbsup::)

Oh yes. He is the unofficial messiah of the legacy C&C games. Btw, TS and FS work fine for me on Win 7 Ultimate Edition, x64. No need to run it in admin mode, in fact. >:D

Haven't tried RA2 on 64 bit yet though, along with RA1 and TD.

Running as admin often clears things up, imo. But sometimes a little compatibility mode (which mode actually depends on the circumstances) will also be helpful. Did that for SC1, which was having display issues with Win 7 Ultimate Edition x64 for me; cleared the issue up.

I confirm that TFD works on 64-bit W7 considering I have W7 Pro x64. I do run as admin though, just to be safe. YR is mandatory for Ares though. :P

Uninstall everything. Reinstall everything AS ADMINISTRATOR. Run any patches AS ADMINISTRATOR. Run the games AS ADMINISTRATOR.

Are you running the games through the TFD menu, btw? If not, your problem with RA2 might be that you try to run game.exe directly rather than running RA2.exe

As for C&C1, install 1.06c patch, add 1.06c hotfix, install CnC-ddraw.

As for RA1, install 3.03 patch, install CnC-ddraw.

I was hoping you'd reply, oh Lord of Old C&C Games. :P

I am an administrator, as far as I know. >_> Is there a way to check?

And, yeah, good call. I had actually tried running the game directly rather than through TFD menu, but I clicked game.exe. XD Oh well. So I guess RA2 works. Thanks. :D

I am an administrator, as far as I know. >_> Is there a way to check?

You don't be administrator, you run as administrator. Confusing, yes, Windows is stupid, I have no idea why this is so.

You right-click on an exe, go to properties, then compatibility, should find something to do with running as administrator. Alternately, you can run the Compatibility Wizard, select your program and do the same thing.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 do not make you a true administrator. You're still a limited user; however, with admin accounts you can elevate to admin permissions without any hassle. Hence why "Run As Administrator" is required.

40.jpg

Hmm. That's pretty retarded.

Was it the same way with XP? I never had any administrator problems with XP, so I just assumed it would be the same with 7. >_>

By the way, thanks for the help, guys. I'm not completely computer illiterate, honest. :P

There's a reason why Vista and 7 changed the way accounts work, and it was XP's full administration account setup. That led to far too many malware infections so they made a valid change.

Everyone knows Windows XP has the security of a wet cardboard box. Part of that was the way it handles its admin/user accounts.

Problem is, all those win98/XP era games count on you having full rights on everything... which is where the problems appear :P

So choose:

XP, which lets you play hassle-free, but is unstable and highly susceptible to malware and all those other nasties...

Or 7, which has a small (otherwise negligible hurdle) in running games, but is perfectly stable and hard to bring down (malware and other nasties-wise).

Never had much problems on WinXP personally. I just run Malwarebytes Antimalware once a week and I don't download stuff from dubious sites :P

I think the only problem of WinXP is that it's on the market for too long. Wait a bit and Win7 will become as vulnerable as WinXP.

I just run Malwarebytes Antimalware once a week and I don't download stuff from dubious sites :P

MBAM FTW.

Avast. Can't go wrong with it. >:D

And I can bear with the constant Run As Admin stuff in Win7. Plus it's a lot more stable than XP (no more nightmarish blue screens of death, crashes, etc.). I can bear with the irritation of not being able to play some games or quickly jump into games rather than have to reformat my drive every, like, 9 months or so.

Plus it's a lot more stable than XP (no more nightmarish blue screens of death, crashes, etc.).

I've had this hard disk with Windows XP SP3 for more than a year now and I still haven't seen a BSoD on it yet. I think stability is a relative term. It depends on how you use your computer, do you harass the graphics card with these latest games which are really system-hungry, and which antivirus software do you have installed (avoid AVG, it's useless)

Is it that hard to create a download link that works for windows 7? ....oyy I give up as well unless someone has a download link that actually works- tried every version, patches, etc., none of them work on windows 7. ITs not worth 24 hours of hacking my own pc to get this to play..

Helps to purchase the disc instead of pirate it. My brother has W7 and TFD works just fine so I don't what the deal is.

Guest Stevie_K
Is it that hard to create a download link that works for windows 7?

You definitely shouldn't expect us to. But if you ask kindly and brief your case in a reasonable fashion, we might be able to give you some suggestions on a solution.

ITs not worth 24 hours of hacking my own pc to get this to play..

Stop lying.