Sign in to follow this  
Plok

RA2/YR Modding tools

After viewing Landmine's modding tools for Generals thread, I thought the similar thing had to be done with RA2, for the sake of consistency.
If you know where to find more, post the links here.

Red Alert 2 patch v1.006
Latest official patch for the base game.

Yuri's Revenge patch v1.001
Latest official patch for the expansion pack.

XCC Utilities 1.47
The Alpha and the Omega when it comes to manipulating .MIX archives.

XCC Utilities 1.21
Same as above, save that it's a version that doesn't tamper much with registry files, but has far less features.

FinalAlert 2 Yuri's Revenge 1.02
The most frequently used map editor, made by Westwood-authorized fan programmer Matthias Wagner. This version supports ecachemdXX.mix files.

RA2/YR Cleanup Tool
A program that deletes all files in the RA2/YR folder that aren't part of the regular install. Can be configured to remove maps and savegames too.

Open Source SHP Builder
A handy Paint-style program for creating and modifying infantry/building sprites, cameos, GUI and more.

Voxel Section Editor III
For creating vehicle voxels. Note that the beta will require Internet connection on the first run.

OS HVA Builder
For creating .hva files that can even make voxel animations, like for the Mammoth MK.II from TS.

3ds2VXL
Program for converting 3D files into voxels. If the program asks for missing DLLs for whatever reason, download them here.

RAD Video Tools
All RA2 videos are in .BIK (Bink) format. This program is used to convert .bik to .avi and vice-versa.

RA2StrEdit
CSF editor for the string tables, allows you to modify the display names of units/buildings.

LaunchBase (includes Ares 0.1)
A launcher that can run unmodded RA2 and YR, as well as various mods made for it.

Ares
The popular modder-oriented extension DLL for YR.

VK Home
VK's place. Home to the NPatch for YR, and other tools.

RA2 FNT Editor
A tool used to edit the FNT files in RA2 and YR.

Infantry Animator
A small program which displays infantry art sequences according to your art.ini file. Handy when you're modifying or making new infantry.

CLEAN RA2 INI FILES
CLEAN YR INI FILES

Edited by Plokite_Wolf
Updated some download links

LOL. Do these people even exist? I mean, XCC Utilities 1.46 crashes the least and has the least bugs.

*glances at Editing Source*

v1.21? Now that's cobwebware :P

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

Since we don't already have one of these, perhaps this ought to be pinned for the newbies (not that they are abundant).

You sure about that?

EXHIBIT A - January 5th - Dartheon asks for help with making some infantry look like Cosmonauts and others unbuildable

EXHIBIT B - January 22nd, 2011 - Rudger123 versus Civilians as enemies

EXHIBIT C (Zero Hour) - February 18th, 2011 - Soldier5689 asks for making non-regular units playable.

Just an example, might have been more.

When the next C&C is officially announced, we'll have more cases like that

Oh, one more thing:

RAD Video Tools

All RA2 videos are in .BIK (Bink) format. This program is used to convert .bik to .avi and vice-versa.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

I didn't say they didn't exist, I said they weren't abundant... :rolleyes:

And I pinned your topic, so it's not like I didn't think it was at all necessary, so quit having a party with my offhand comment.

I still use 1.21.

Huh, really? I use v1.47 :P

this link appears to be broken :(

Sorry, I just used the link stated on YR Argentina. I tried to Google it now, but no one seems to have mirrored it. If someone finds it, please post the link here.

Huh, really? I use v1.47 :P

But, the last version is 1.46! Seems Olaf is giving someone a free beta :P

Haha, you caught that one quickly. Yeah, I've tested stuff for him before, usually related to the C&C1 map editor in the pack.

As for 3ds2vxl, I found it here on PPM, and the GUI update by IcySon is here on Revora. You may need accounts on PPM and Revora to download them.

Man, I thought the lad vanished since his 1.46 release...

I hope he has fixed the bug when opening .BIG archives with many subfiles, so only a certain number of them would be visible properly, and others were just listed as "File Type: unknown", but could still be extracted in a readable form if they were a part of Generals/Zero Hour. :P

You don't need an account on PPM to download but on Revora you do. Also when you use the program try not to run anything while the program is converting, that might freeze your PC. Another one is right here.

• Upvote 1

RA2/YR Cleanup tool

Cleans up your game from any files that don't belong to the original installation.

I've just downloaded Ares again (the first time didn't download correctly) and have been reading the manual, and I must admit, I think I am actually liking Ares now.

Anyway, perhaps Ares should be added to this list too...

Also, perhaps topics such as this should be made for each modding forum with tools geared toward those games. Made by someone familiar with modding the respective games.

I've just downloaded Ares again (the first time didn't download correctly) and have been reading the manual, and I must admit, I think I am actually liking Ares now.

Anyway, perhaps Ares should be added to this list too...

Also, perhaps topics such as this should be made for each modding forum with tools geared toward those games. Made by someone familiar with modding the respective games.

I'll put Launchbase instead. View the first post for updates.

Ares does have a standalone download. Probably out to be added.

NPatch too, but I don't recommend it really.

I have Ares 0.2. kekeke

[EDIT] Added Ares, VK's place and the FNT Editor.

Yes, but standalone Ares isn't the brightest idea ever unless you know EXACTLY what to do with it.

Should update the links. XCC 1.47 is out and more stable than 1.46.

I think the link still works, just the file got updated when the new version was released.

The Infantry Animator has nothing to do with adding or removing units. For that, you need XCC Utilities and Notepad.