Nyerguds

Crash research

Can you PLEASE type out these addresses next time? It's really annoying to copy them from an image.

Anyway...

1. 004dbc4f: Already in the list. Related to hiding/showing/drawing the mouse. No idea unless you tell me what you were doing with it at that time.

2. 004af358: Not a clue. Something happening in HouseClass__AI.

3. 004b686f: Interesting. Traces back to a function used to draw strings in a list (used by both the New Missions and music lists). I edited some code related to that to implement custom mission side prefixes. Though the name string doesn't seem excessively long or anything, so I don't see any real reason for it to crash.

4. 004dbc4f: This is the same as the first one.

If you attach the actual bin+ini pair I can at least debug it.

The only thing I can immediately tell you about that mission is that the aira teamtype is useless and can be removed. Airstrike triggers accept no teamtypes.

I've encountered a strange freeze about 3 times now that is accompanied by no error messages or anything. Basically, I'll be in the middle of a game, and the sound starts stuttering, and the screen just freezes. After this point, I can't do anything. Nothing works, including Alt + tab, windows key, ctrl + alt + del, or alt f4. I have to shut my computer down cold and start it back up again... Has anyone else experienced this? I have not had this problem in any other game I've played on my computer, so I don't think it's a hardware issue. It is strange that the game completely crashes my computer, with no possible way to recover it without shutting down improperly.

System Specs:

Pentium 4 2.8Ghz

Geforce 7800 GS 256MB

SB Audigy 2 soundcard

Windows XP

No, it's not that strange, not with Windwos XP. Try reinstalling the game, that worked for me if you read this topic a few pages back. If it doesn't, I suggest you drop XP for Seven, at least your computer won't completely crash anymore.

Edited by Kamikave

Um, I've been running the game on XP for ages without any such issues. The whole system just freezing and not being able to tab out is definitely not normal, especially with cnc-ddraw.

Unfortunately, XP is much more easy to crash than Seven. I've lost count on how many times I had to reboot my computer because of a game crash under XP. It happened once with 7, in three years, including when C&C crashed without error message.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the game solved it for me. I never knew what went wrong. Which is why I think the problem might not come from the game.

Edited by Kamikave

Well, multi-core can apparently cause problems on old games, but I heard cnc-ddraw generally solves that. There IS a SingleCPU= option in ddraw.ini though.

The Pentium 4 2.8Ghz is single core, though...

I tried disabling Hyperthreading on my CPU, and so far I haven't seen any crashes. It could be luck though. I'll post if it happens again.

Ah... My first game in a while, and it crashes...

"Application Error C&C95.exe

The instruction at 004dbc37 referenced memory at 00081bf8

The memory could not be written

Click ok to terminate the application"

Do you know this one ? I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. Just building my base in covert ops Infiltration, as usual...

Edit : Today, the game didn't crash, but, whenever I accessed the in-game menu, the mouse was frozen. I had to quit the game the hard way. I think I'll reinstall the game very soon lol

Edited by Kamikave

Eh, that address is listed in the first post, so, yes, I know it. From what I've seen, it might be related to scrolling.

Oups, sorry. I didn't check the first page. I guess it's already on your bug list then (or it will when you find out what the problem is).

Hi, just had a crash.

Instruction at 00498f6b, referenced memory at 0000004b

Happened when playing the Need for Speed mission from Solo's mission packs (Nod mission #212), seemingly at the exact moment when I completed the construction of a stealth tank.

PC details: Windows 7 64 bit, Intel Celeron P4500 (dual core @ 1.87 GHz), 3 GB of ram, video card's Intel HD Graphics, and C&C is at 1.06c r2

I'm having late game crashes with W7 (too) ... I'll take notes of the crash msgs ...

\edit

I've took a quick look at the INI file and didn't notice anything.

We'll wait for Nyerguds then ...

Edited by Solo

The error seems to be in "reinforce_action". It's an obvious null pointer error; register eax is zero when it should contain an object.

The area is marked as probably related to transport helicopter reinforcing, but I guess with this new info, it's probably the C17 reinforcing then.

---

Oh. It's both. There is code checking if the reinforcing unit is a C17, and if so, it looks for an airfield to connect it to.

The odd part is, the crash here is the fact the reinforcing unit is a null pointer. So, for some reason, the C17 reinforcing the unit is never created.

I had a funny crash yesterday, on CnCNet, at the begginning of the match.

gj5EGhz.png

An integer divide by zero was encountered at andress 0042c8ed

No westwood, the math rules still applies to you guys.

It can be all CnCNet related, dunno, but I chose to post here.

----

Spec of the comp:

3rd Gen Intel Core i5 3210M @ 2.5Ghz

Mobile NVIDIA GeForce 630GT W/ Nvidia Optimus (Intel HD Graphics 4000)

Atheros AR5BWB222 Wireless adapter.

4gb 1600Mhz DRR3 Memory.

Windows 7 x64 SP1 (Up-to-date).

Huh, weird... that's the very start of the main game loop... meaning, the launching of the ingame listening logic, I think.

Seems to be passed on to something related to Timer class... coming right after a check for the send rate.

0042C8D4      cmp [005405CA], 2 ; EnableSendRate

If this was on CnCNet5, then maybe the cncnet hacks are the cause... I suggest you pass this on to iran.

FunkyFr3sh said on the IRC that it's "the 6 player crash". Apparently there's a known bug in the cncnet5 spawner that crashes at the start of a game if there are 6 players.

So, yeah... no idea beyond that. I don't know what hacks they made for that spawner.

You could've mentioned some details about the multiplayer game itself, btw... that's far more useful information to me than your PC specs.

FunkyFr3sh said on the IRC that it's "the 6 player crash". Apparently there's a known bug in the cncnet5 spawner that crashes at the start of a game if there are 6 players.

So, yeah... no idea beyond that. I don't know what hacks they made for that spawner.

You could've mentioned some details about the multiplayer game itself, btw... that's far more useful information to me than your PC specs.

Yep. It was a 6 players game. Well, if it is a know bug, let's just wait for the fix, or try to get more information about the bug.

Hi Nyerguds,

I'm back to ... creating trouble business: I got CTD and here is the message:

Instruction at 00498f6b, referenced memory at 0000004b.

Ironically, it's the same that HeavyLobster got 1year ago.

I'm creating this cool set of triggers - when you civ.evac with a Chinook, it activates a reinforce trigger to bring the next Chinook for the next civ. evac.

Sadly, you can see the outcome in the picture.

Specs

Here are the triggers
CIV1=time,reinforce.,0,goodguy,SKY1,0
CIV2=Civ. Evac.,Reinforce.,0,goodguy,SKY2,2
Teamtypes
SKY1=goodguy,0,0,0,0,0,7,0,0,0,1,TRAN:1,2,move:10,move:23,0,0
SKY2=goodguy,0,0,0,0,0,7,0,0,0,1,TRAN:1,3,move:10,move:24,move:23,0,0
Also
Buildlevel=15
34=badguy,afld,256,1199,0,NONE
35=badguy,afld,256,1711,0,NONE
Map
Theater=winter
X=1
Y=1
Width=52
Height=40
[Goodguy]
Allies=goodguy,special,multi2,multi4
Credits=100
Edge=east
[badguy]
Allies=badguy,multi6
Credits=900
Edge=north

System

W7 - 64bits SP1

i5 - 2400 CPU @3.10 GHz, 8Gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD5450

Before the crashes I was testing the reinforcements using TIME trigger, every 15, and the Chinooks were coming in but not being able to land, there was a Chin there. So it seems all the Chins decided to come back in the next trials under a new trigger ... ehehhehheeh

I've seen a similar case happening when you set your money to 1 million, and you start the game, it starts counting the money, then you quit the game, when you come back right after, the engine is crazy still counting money from the previous session. I didn't do it for fun, I was testing missions and the lunatics authors set it to a million...

I'm gonna make a copy of this WIP mission here, in case you wanna make some tests.

post-7289-0-16904300-1382832337_thumb.png

blocked reinforcements crashing the game is a known issue. The fix? Simply don't do it. <_<

Also, I think civ evac is one single state. Once it's activated, I doubt it'll be reset to Off status to be used again.

Hi,

I got this after "mission accomplished" in Nod's Sudan M3:

post-7289-0-29204600-1413150105_thumb.jpg

Specs

CPU: Intel Core I5-2400 @ 3.10GHz

RAM: 8Gb

GPU: AMD Radeon 5450

Can you PLEASE type out these addresses next time? It's really annoying to copy them from an image.

<_<

It is typed: click on the image, copy the name ...

Huh... that's the stretching table code, to stretch the 320x200 animations to 640x400. Maybe a video with a missing VQP file or something?

By the way, your game settings and game setup are infinitely more useful than your PC specs. What resolution was this played on? Do you have videos installed? What language was the game set to?

I admire the patch You work on but lately, I got the strange error. 

After the initial installation, I get an error that "Application need elevator". But when I run CCSetup everything seems fine... as long as I don't run the game itself. The "instruction" and "memory" numbers are different each time I run the game. Most often it is as above, but sometimes the instruction and memory error is "fffffffff". I reinstalled the game several times without any result. 

Windows 8.1 x64

4 GB RAM 

Intel Integrated Graphics 4 Family

EDIT: 

Message for my future self and others with the same issue. 

1. Go to Your laptop manufacturer website and download a graphic driver. 
  2. Download proper driver. 
  3. Open "Device Manager" and install the driver using the inbuilt installer. 
  4. VOILA!
Edited by Traymen
Found solution

I don't know if you're still monitoring this but I figure I'd post it in case someone else has the same problem.

The instruction at 00000000 referenced memory at 00000000

The memory could not be read from

(useless, I know)

Caused by running this patch under windows 8.1 with windows 95 compatibility mode enabled with default settings, or with CnC D Draw disabled, as well as with any other options I tried.  It seems to be related only to using windows 95 compatibility.

Crash occurs when starting the game.
Windows 8.1
CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.24 GHz
MEM: 16 GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070