Sign in to follow this  
Stan

horizontally spawned missiles

Hi everyone,

(Three questions :yr: ) My plan:

I want to make a Dreadnought clone that fires its missiles directly horizontally. The ship should not pull the missiles up into firing position first, and fire them so they fly very low above the surface and hit the targets on their side. A cruise missile if you want.

I'm having problems getting that to work. I suppose its all about the DMISLxxx= functions in [General].

So I gave it

DMislPitchFinal=0

so it flies of horizontally, and

DMislAltitude=92

so it flies very low. I figured I'd give it the same height as the Dreadnoughts PrimaryFireFLH in the art(md).ini

So far so good, the missiles are actually spawn horizontally,

BUT now they don't hit their target, instead they fly above it/ fly through it/ miss it and then fly infinitely straight until they hit a cliff or leave the map. I then gave it a very high ROT (DMislTurnRate=20) and it hits them, but it's kinda ugly - when the missile is above the target, it does a very abrupt vertical turn down onto the target. That's not the solution I want, the missiles should hit them on their side, not from above. So my question is:

What values do I need in the DMislxxx= functions so I they launch and fly horizontally (or near horizontally) and so they hit targets from their side? Is it special altitudes, or pitches, or is entirely impossible or what?

===============

Also:

I'd like the missiles to have weak homing abilities. That's ROT, right? But neither DMislTurnRate nor the launcherweapons projectile-ROT seem to work. I know that this is doable, I saw it before in a mod - a deployed V3-kinda clone vehicle launched (spawned- ) missiles that followed their targets; it even hit aircraft type vehicles! Here the code of my Dred-clones launcher weapon and its projectile, if that means anything:

[CruiseMissileLauncher]

Damage=500

ROF=100

Range=30

MinimumRange=5

Spawner=yes

Projectile=InvisibleCruise ;InvisibleHigh

Speed=15

Warhead=Special

OmniFire=yes

Report=BoomerAttack1

Bright=yes

[invisibleCruise]

Inviso=yes

Image=none

SubjectToElevation=yes

SubjectToWalls=no

SubjectToCliffs=no

ROT=100

Acceleration=1

Now how do I get the missile to follow targets?

===============

And lastly: I'm using a new bigger voxel for the missile. But the ... smoke ... is not coming from the new voxels end now, but from the center. What do I do?

Edited by Stan

A spawned missile will never use the projectile stats since it's... a spawned missile. The only thing I can think of right now is setting DMislLazyCurve to yes like the V3 has. That makes the missiles a bit more accurate but if that doesn't work, the game probably wasn't meant for your idea. Besides, this might work better with a regular weapon, rather than a spawner type.

For the last one, change DMislBodyLength, which is measured in leptons.

Alright so,

DMislLazyCurve=yes actually did the trick; I can use pitch = 0 and it still hits the targets perfectly, so it really works now. Thanx Doc

Now, two noob-questions left:

- How do I make it follow units again? [Projectile] is useless, but DMislTurnRate= doesn't effect anything either. Or is that simply impossible? I could've sworn this worked in a mod, Endless War I believe, where a deployed ICBM-launcher vehicle downed my harriers.

- And that with DMislBodyLength= also doesn't change the position of the smoke trail. Alternatively, do you know if and how I could just get rid of the smoke trail entirely?

Thanks again Doc

Edited by Stan

I'm really not sure how you would make a homing rocket with a spawned missile. I doubt it's even possible based on the logic of the weapon. It's meant to be a rocket that flies towards a destination. So think about the Dreadnought and V3 for a moment. Not once have their rockets followed a target so it would be reasonable to assume this just wouldn't be possible.

For the smoke trailer, find your rocket's art and remove Trailer or set Trailer to a blank SHP.

Ok,

I suppose I'll give the ship a secondary with normal missiles and give its projectile the same image as the primary with some ROT, then fiddle around with the verses so primary fires only at buildings + secondary firing only at units. That should work.

Alright, thanks for the help.

Edited by Stan
  • Upvote 1