Sign in to follow this  
CCHyper

Project Update: 5th April 2011

More like, the "load info" seems to be skipped if it reads the filenames from the internal "local mix database.dat" file rather than from XCC's internally stored list.

OK, that would explain why XCC mixer has started faster and faster over the years as I have edited more and more *.MIXs.

Adding the retaliation campaing mode to red alert is that what i hoped for. CnC retaliation was my first CnC game. Now playing it in window mode with win7 x64 looks awesome... now the only thing missing is a suitable background theme^^.

now the only thing missing is a suitable background theme^^.

Save for the remixes, the Retaliation soundtrack is pretty much the same as it was in the PC/DOS Red Alert, only with altered names :P So you won't be missing out much

Save for the remixes, the Retaliation soundtrack is pretty much the same as it was in the PC/DOS Red Alert, only with altered names :P So you won't be missing out much

Isn`t PlayStation RA have better quality sounds than the computers one?

The retaliation missions are the same as the red alert expansion missions. If the audio is better on the ps1, I am guessing it's in a format the windows version can't (yet) read. I know the soundtrack CDs feature better audio if less tracks.

Isn`t PlayStation RA have better quality sounds than the computers one?

Actually, I never played Retaliation, but the track The Valley, which is a different name for Voice Rhythm 2, has the same compression error at 3:47 as its PC/DOS original.

That's a bad sign. So even if the ps1 audio is in a higher quality codec, it looks like it was converted from the Lossy pc version

The Red Alert engine can not handle high sampled audio, unless you rewrite the audio engine. Then if you do, all audio samples would not play, everything would have to be re-encoded.

Well if you re-write the entire audio engine I assume you could have it read audio samples with different bit-rates and codecs. However if the engine can't handle better audio as is, it probably isn't worth looking at the retaliation audio.

---------------------

Also, 3.04 pre-beta, redaler1.com. Was there an announcement for this stuff? any change-logs or other development information?

Edited by Sonarpulse

www.redlaert1.com is not related to me nor the TFD patch. Its HIFI's page for RA95 related things.

As for the audio, Frank's site has them all in stereo :P

Problem is there is no WWAUD converter that allows stereo and 44100. So one needs to be rewritten.

well I guess we should redo the audio engine then.

www.redlaert1.com is not related to me nor the TFD patch. Its HIFI's page for RA95 related things.

Since I posted I learned of the build.txt README in his download, so I now know what patches are in there.

Not just the engine, a actual converter tool to make the effects and audio tracks the higher sample.

Wait, the tracks on his website are probably mp3, and red alert already had mp3, and presumably thus 44100 (at least only for mp3 ) support. right?

Edited by Sonarpulse

and red alert already had mp3, and presumably thus 44100 (at least only for mp3 ) support. right?

How did you get to that conclusion?

Of course but to get really nostalgic and to get this feeling of the old times back it has to be perfect. Getting the briefing and after that you choose one of the 4-5 missions per part of the game in the map of europe. I mean it is not changing the gameplay of the missions but this was awesome too and part of the style.

Do it for mother russia :ra2: ^^

Woops, I was thinking of mpeg movies, which RA 3.03+ does support. Then again, the audio in that codec would be like mp2 or something?

The audio in RA1 is in .aud format and can be converted nicely to a 352 kbps .wav.

Magnet Link (torrent) (Could a mod remove the http:// from the magnate URI?)

Megaupload: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4SCP2JFB

Original Post: http://www.cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=1612.0

Been working on this for a while. Optimizes the RA *.mixs, including the movies. Downside is modified *.mixs do not contain file descriptions.

Hi Sonarpulse, one thing that is not clear for me yet, do i still need the TLF_RA95.exe and .dat files to run The Lost Files extra videos? Or can i just use the normal RA95?

The audio in RA1 is in .aud format and can be converted nicely to a 352 kbps .wav.

Still Mono though :P

Is audio stored in *.VQAs? or in separate audio files. Never saw any separate audio files, but XCC mixer never played the sound so i figure it's plausible.

@Spinvis:

you still need need the RA95_TLF_(TFD).exe and *.dat files, unless you use http://forums.cncnz.com/index.php?act=find...&pid=188774 or some other version of the game with an expanded movie list. The *.dat as always is the real executable, with the movie list hacks already in it. RA95_TLF_(TFD).exe and RA95_TLF.exe are just launchers that respectively apply and remove the no-cd switch from the TLF *.dat before starting the game

If you want to play hires or use some other launcher that adds features:

1. run RA95_TLF_(TFD).exe and quit the game -- to apply the no-cd

2. rename RA95TLF.dat to RA95.dat (backup the old *.dat of course) -- so the other launcher uses the TLF *.dat

3. run the other launcher to play the game

I did not include any executable because there is no best executable yet, only a bunch of different versions with different patches and their own strengths and weaknesses. Redalert1.com is starting to create some order, but that did not exist when I made the torrent.

Is audio stored in *.VQAs? or in separate audio files. Never saw any separate audio files, but XCC mixer never played the sound so i figure it's plausible.

Yes it is. Although XCC mixer can't play it, it is still there when converted with VQAtoAVI.