Sign in to follow this  
CCHyper

Project Update: 5th April 2011

Yes it is. Although XCC mixer can't play it, it is still there when converted with VQAtoAVI.

any idea on the codc/bit rate? has anyone tried an mpeg movie with red alert? i'm starting to think red alert could support mpeg audio too.

I'm telling you now, RA95 will not play anything other than WWAUD. Don't waste your time. The game supports MPEG video playback yes, but it requires the MPEG to be a older version format and will only play if a VQA is not found and a internal variable is set to "true".

I have a dumb question :

I tested RA + , the no cd doesn't work all the time and it adds numurous files in the game folder to the point it is a real mess.

So I deleted it, and I'm currently playing with my original french version (installed through Dosbox) with Red Alert 3.03 Patch Installer - multilanguage, made by Nyerguds, and once I kill explorer.exe (to fix the colors), it works perfectly.

Of course, Hifi's hi res launcher doesn't work, and that's why I'm asking : is patch 3.04 based on RA+ ? Or the original ?

My patch is based on the original RA95 3.03 released by Westwood (or leaked, but you know what i mean). I have my own NoCD code that works perfectly, aswell as the patch contains my own high resolution code, with the addition of HIFI's code that helped me fix the cell drawing bug and allow me to complete my patch feature.

RA95 3.03 plays old format MPEG videos, so what codec was around in 1996? Use that.

I tested RA + , the no cd doesn't work all the time

You sure? My copy of RA+ works 100%.

My patch is based on the original RA95 3.03 released by Westwood (or leaked, but you know what i mean). I have my own NoCD code that works perfectly, aswell as the patch contains my own high resolution code, with the addition of HIFI's code that helped me fix the cell drawing bug and allow me to complete my patch feature.

RA95 3.03 plays old format MPEG videos, so what codec was around in 1996? Use that.

That's great, thanks.

As for the codec... the only one that I know of from that period, aside from mpeg and quicktime, is bink format (used for hexen II, 1997)

EDIT : Oh yeah, there also was Real format. But if you're looking for the codec used by westwood, it was something they created specifically for the game, there is no codec available.

You sure? My copy of RA+ works 100%.

Yes, I'm sure. When it works, I get a message "you don't have enough space for savegame etc..." but the game launch anyway.

But sometimes, it ask for the cd, and don't launch. So even when it works, it's far from perfect.

Edited by Kamikave

Yes, I'm sure. When it works, I get a message "you don't have enough space for savegame etc..." but the game launch anyway.

But sometimes, it ask for the cd, and don't launch. So even when it works, it's far from perfect.

That only happens on RA.exe (DOS) to me. RA95.exe should work like a charm. You downloaded that from CnC-Comm or from one of N3tRunn3r's lost websites?

From cnc-comm, I think. I remember I had to rename ra95.dat into .lcf and ra95.lcf into .dat or something like that to get the no cd to work. And even then, like I said, it didn't work all the time.

About the original Red Alert, it's been years since I played it, and in the meantime, thanks to Nyerguds :P, I got used to C&C 95 speed (building time, tank speed, projectile etc...). And when I got back to RA, I was surprised, as everything seems to be way faster. I tried to slow down the game speed, but then it became way too slow, then I tweaked building time and some unit speed in rules.ini to match C&C, but I don't get the same feeling in the end (I don't know the settings of C&C).

Is it possible to make a mod a something so that RA match C&C speed ?

Oh, and by the way, if you need a french translator for your patch, I'm here ! :)

Edited by Kamikave

From cnc-comm, I think. I remember I had to rename ra95.dat into .lcf and ra95.lcf into .dat or something like that to get the no cd to work. And even then, like I said, it didn't work all the time.

:o Maybe his CnC-Comm release is different or there was an error while uploading...

EDIT: You might be running WinXP SP3/Vista/7, and RA+ is set to compatibility mode for Win95? Try setting it to Win98.

Oh, and by the way, if you need a french translator for your patch, I'm here ! :)

Actually, I might join the translation team too, if you need a Cro-translator ;)

You might be running WinXP SP3/Vista/7, and RA+ is set to compatibility mode for Win95? Try setting it to Win98.

I have win 7 64 pro. But I don't like to modify these compatibility settings. I have a lot of old games, and aside of some modified games (like Nyerguds patch for C&C), that are modified to use these compatibility settings, all the games I tried to launch with comp settings never worked. Not once. So I think of it as a useless feature of recent Windows. Besides, RA is working pretty well without RA + (thanks to Nyerguds patch 3.03), so I don't really need it.

As for the speed of the game, I decided to keep the original speed (cursor in the middle in the menu), the one I said was way too slow, and I cut in half the build time in rules.ini. That way, its close enough to C&C 95. I'm used to play C&C 95 in a faster setting, but oddly, it fits...

Edited by Kamikave

Full RA+ is basically 3.03. I believe the no-cd in it depends needs a optical disk drive with a disk in it to work, just that disk doesn't need to be red alert.

Also, where can we find 3.04 stuff besides redalert1.com (which I realize is hifi's website, with hifi's patches, but does contain Hyper's -LAN hack and an obstinately new executable)?

The patch isn't released yet.

And the definition of a no cd, is that it doesn't rely on any optical drive. That's why I deleted it. It's absurd to have the movie files in the game folder for when the no cd works, and the CD in a drive for when it doesn't (emulated of course, I'd like to preserve the real cds as long as possible).

Edited by Kamikave

The no-cd crack is simply not done properly. It removes the checks on the contents of the CD in the drive, rather than disabling searching for the CD altogether.

The problem is most likely caused by the fact WW themselves botched up the previously perfectly working "-cd" command line parameter's no-cd mode in v3.03.

Patch is still being worked on, most updates are discussed in the CNCNet IRC before anything is discussed on forums.

^ Hyper's way of saying "I can't be arsed to post here" :P

• Upvote 1