Sign in to follow this  
tripleshu

Game freezes after trying some of the new 1.06c options

I split off this topic because it's unrelated to the crash research

-Nyerguds

Game freezes after trying some of the new 1.06c options in the mission and rules ini files.

I'm not sure if this is the ideal place to post this, since what I am experiencing is the game freezing, with no crash or error window appearing after the freeze, so mods feel free to move this post if there is a better location for it.

First the general details. I downloaded the complete No-CD 1.06b r2 version of Command and Conquer Tiberium Dawn off of Nyerguds website (http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cnc95upd/cc95p106/), and after installing it I downloaded and installed the 1.06c r1 patch and the 1.06c r1 hot fix. I start up the game without trying to modify or edit anything, and it runs just fine on my Windows Vista (service pack 2, U.S. version) machine. Of course I was interested in trying out some of the new options Nyerguds included in the 1.06c patch as well. Specifically, during the single player campaign missions I wanted to have access to the full tech tree, so during a single player mission I would be able to be able to build all the units and structures that can be built in a multiplayer game. So I downloaded XCC editor in order to modify the 'rules' and 'mission' 'ini' files with the 'CustomBuildLevel' and 'RemoveBuildExceptions' options.

I used XCC Mixer to extract the 'rules.ini' file from 'updatec.mix' and the 'mission.ini' file from 'general.mix'. I used Wordpad to edit the the 'rules.ini' file, though the only thing I did was set 'CustomBuildLevel' to 'Yes', and to add in 'RemoveBuildExceptions', so now the 'General' section of my 'rules.ini' file looks like this:

[General]

; --== User interface options ==--

TrueNames=No ; Show true names for civilians and civilian buildings

TreeTarget=No ; Show attack cursor on trees (shows on invincible ones too)

SafeScrolling=No ; Disable scrolling up when on the options or sidebar button

BetaSounds=No ; Use the beta sounds from ZOUNDS.MIX

NoEgoScreen=Yes ; Don't show the score screen after winning a mission

RepeatBriefVid=Yes ; Replay the briefing video when restarting a mission

; --== Game setup options ==--

LANPlayers=6 ; Set number of LAN players

ParanoidAI=No ; AI players in LAN/Skirmish will not trust each other

CustomBuildlevel=Yes; In campaign, read buildlevel setting from the mission file

RemoveBuildExceptions=Yes

; --== Game behaviour options ==--

WheeledRotation=No ; Makes wheeled vehicles not turn on the spot like tanks

SeparateHelipad=No ; Build helipads without helicopters, for only $300

MCVUndeploy=No ; Construction yard undeploys to MCV when you sell it.

NoBibs=No ; Disable concrete foundations under buildings

CombatIQ=No ; Units scatter when attacked (also applies to tanks)

TiberiumOverrun=No ; Should make tiberium grow faster, but it doesn't work,

; and instead stops all spawning of tiberium on new cells.

Funpark=false ; Enable hidden dinosaur missions mode

After saving the modified 'rules.ini' file I use XCC Mix Editor to insert it back into 'updatec.mix' (after I insert it, I press the save button and then the compact button in the XCC Mix Editor, and then close the editor).

Then I opened up the 'mission.ini' file for editing with Wordpad. Since I first wanted to just see if I could get the 'CustomBuildLevel' and RemoveBuildExceptions' options working, I didn't try to modify all 15 GDI and all 13 NOD campaign mission files, instead I tried to modify just the first GDI mission (I chose the first GDI mission since it gives the player an MCV, while the first NOD mission doesn't). I found the 'Basic' field for the first GDI campaign mission in the 'mission.ini' file, and changed 'BuildLevel' from 1 to 96 (I chose 96 because multiplayer maps which enable the player to build the full tech tree usually have their 'BuildLevel' set at 96), and then added in the 'CustomBuildLevel' and 'RemoveBuildExceptions' options, so the 'Basic' section of the first GDI campaign mission in the 'mission.ini' file looks like this:

[bASIC]

CarryOverCap=-1

CarryOverMoney=0

Intro=x

BuildLevel=96

Theme=No theme

Percent=0

Player=GoodGuy

Win=CONSYARD

Lose=GAMEOVER

Brief=GDI1

Action=LANDING

CustomBuildlevel=1

RemoveBuildExceptions=1

After saving the modified 'mission.ini' file I used XCC Mix Editor to insert it back into 'general.mix'.

I started C&C95, selected 'start new game', and selected GDI, and then started playing the first GDI campaign mission. The game ran fine, but after I deployed the MCV to check to see if I could build the full tech tree, I found I could only build what could normally be built during the first GDI campaign mission (power plant and barracks only, and at the barracks I could only produce minigunners). I also tried restarting the mission, but the result was the same. So the game was operating as if I had never added in the 'CustomBuildLevel' and 'RemoveBuildeExceptions' options into the 'rules.ini' and 'mission.ini' files.

I thought maybe it wasn't working because I also needed to change the 'BuildLevel' and add the 'CustomBuildLevel' and 'RemoveBuildeExceptions' options to the first GDI campaign mission 'ini' file, 'scg01ea.ini', as well. So I extracted 'scg01ea.ini' from 'general.mix', and (as I had done in 'mission.ini') under the 'Basic' section set 'BuildLevel' to 96, and added in the 'CustomBuildLevel' and 'RemoveBuildExceptions' options there as well, and then inserted the modified 'scg01ea.ini' file back into 'general.mix'. Incidentally, unlike in the 'mission.ini' file which only had one 'Basic' section for the first GDI campaign mission, I found two places in the 'scg01ea.ini' file where there was a 'Basic' section for the mission, and one of them already had the 'CustomBuildLevel' and 'RemoveBuildExceptions' options and the 'BuildLevel' at 96 set (which I assume it got from the 'missions.ini' file), but the second 'Basic' section in the 'scg01ea.ini' file did not have these settings, so I edited in those settings to that second 'Basic' section as well.

After inserting the modified 'scg01ea.ini' file back into 'general.mix' and starting C&C95, this time though when I selected 'start new game' and selected GDI the game froze (it froze on the screen where you can select the GDI or Nod emblem after you select 'start new game' from the main screen). There was no windows error message or BSOD (blue screen of death), the game just froze, and all I could do was start the task manager (which just said 'application error' for 'C&C95') and stop the 'C&C95' application. I tried starting the game again but again it froze at the same place. Of course I am sure modifying the 'scg01ea.ini' file definitely is the cause of this problem, since if I start a new game and select NOD instead of GDI, the game runs fine, and since of course if I change the 'Basic' settings in 'scg01ea.ini' back to their original state, I can then start a new game and select GDI and it starts the first GDI mission and the game runs fine without freezing or any other problems.

I am guessing it probably isn't even necessary to modify the specific mission files (like 'scg01ea.ini'), and that I must just be doing something wrong when modifying the 'rules' and 'mission' 'ini' files. I'm sure it's probably something very simple, but I'm just too dumb to figure it out. I would be very thankful if anyone can point out what I am doing wrong when trying to use the 'CustomBuildLevel' and 'RemoveBuildExceptions' options in the 'mission.ini' and 'rules.ini' files.

Finally, I would like to thank Nyerguds for the 1.06c patch. I may not have been able to get the 'CustomBuildLevel' and 'RemoveBuildExceptions' options working so far, but it's still great to be able to run C&C TS at 1024 x 768 resolution on a modern PC.

Don't EVER put missions back into general.mix. EVER. In fact, never modify any of the original game archives. Missions (and any other ini files) work fine from the game folder, and for the rest, there's the sc*.mix addons system.

In fact, this is probably what messed up your game. Unless you use "XCC Mix Editor" (NOT "XCC Mixer") to put that file back, the mixfile usually gets converted to the Tiberian Sun mix format, which C&C1 can't read. In which case, indeed, it hangs or crashes with an Out of Memory error.

For the rest...

• Mission.ini is just the campaign briefings file. It's not related to the actual missions. Don't bother editing it.
  • What do you use to change these files?? There is only one [basic] section in each mission file, and mission.ini doesn't have a [basic] section at all. Did you open it in a map editor or something?
  • Buildlevels set in multiplayer maps are 100% ignored. Don't use them as a basis for anything.
  • The only useful build level higher than 15 (the highest campaign mission number) is 98, where you can build commandos and chinooks and such.

and finally... instead of messing with the game files, try typing "topoftheline" ingame and then building a structure :P

Don't EVER put missions back into general.mix. EVER. In fact, never modify any of the original game archives. Missions (and any other ini files) work fine from the game folder, and for the rest, there's the sc*.mix addons system.

In fact, this is probably what messed up your game. Unless you use "XCC Mix Editor" (NOT "XCC Mixer") to put that file back, the mixfile usually gets converted to the Tiberian Sun mix format, which C&C1 can't read. In which case, indeed, it hangs or crashes with an Out of Memory error.

For the rest...

• Mission.ini is just the campaign briefings file. It's not related to the actual missions. Don't bother editing it.
  • What do you use to change these files?? There is only one [basic] section in each mission file, and mission.ini doesn't have a [basic] section at all. Did you open it in a map editor or something?
  • Buildlevels set in multiplayer maps are 100% ignored. Don't use them as a basis for anything.
  • The only useful build level higher than 15 (the highest campaign mission number) is 98, where you can build commandos and chinooks and such.

and finally... instead of messing with the game files, try typing "topoftheline" ingame and then building a structure :P

I extracted the 'mission.ini' file from the 'general.mix' file located in my game directory ('C:/Westwood/C&C95') using XCC Mixer, and that's also how I also extracted the 'rules.ini' file from 'updatec.mix'. After extraction I then edited the files using Wordpad, and after editing put them back in 'general.mix' and 'updatec.mix' using XCC Mix Editor. I edited the first GDI campaign mission, 'scg01ea.ini', the same way, using XCC Mixer to extract it from 'general.mix', editing its 'BASIC' section with Wordpad, and then putting it back into 'general.mix' using XCC Mix Editor. I found 67 sections marked 'BASIC' or 'Basic' in 'scg01ea.ini', though the only one I changed the buildlevel, and added the 'CustomBuildlevel=Yes' and 'RemoveBuildExceptions=Yes' to, was the 'BASIC' section that specified the brief as being 'GDI1' and the Player as being 'GoodGuy'. All the other Basic sections either listed something else for the brief, or they listed the player as being a multiplayer (i.e. multi1, multi2, etc.), or they listed a Nod brief and the player as 'BadGuy'. So in that one 'BASIC' section which was originally:

[bASIC]

CarryOverCap=-1

CarryOverMoney=0

Intro=x

BuildLevel=1

Theme=No theme

Percent=0

Player=GoodGuy

Win=CONSYARD

Lose=GAMEOVER

Brief=GDI1

Action=LANDING

, I changed it to:

[bASIC]

CarryOverCap=-1

CarryOverMoney=0

Intro=x

BuildLevel=98

Theme=No theme

Percent=0

Player=GoodGuy

Win=CONSYARD

Lose=GAMEOVER

Brief=GDI1

Action=LANDING

CustomBuildLevel=yes

RemoveBuildExceptions=yes

, and then saved 'scg01ea.ini' and put it back in 'general.mix' using XCC Mix Editor. When I started a new game and started the first GDI campaign mission though, the tech tree was what it would normally be for GDI mission 1, and I could not build any higher level structures or units. I extracted 'scg01ea.ini' back out of 'general mix' to check that the editing I had done to it had been saved, and it had been but I also noticed that the 'scg01ea.ini' file was about twice as big as the first time I extracted it, and that is when I also noticed the second 'basic' section for the first GDI mission (i.e. a basic section that listed the player as 'goodguy' and the brief as 'GDI1'), and changed the build level and added in 'CustomBuildLevel=yes' and 'RemoveBuildExceptions=yes' to that 'basic' section as well. When I put the 'scg01ea.ini' file back in 'general.mix' using XCC Mix Editor, and tried starting a new game starting with the first GDI mission, that is when the game froze. Looking back, with the 'scg01ea.ini' file being twice as large on the second extraction, it seems likely the file probably got corrupted on the second extraction.

I uninstalled the game and did a clean reinstall, and after strarting a new game and starting the first GDI campaign mission I tried typing 'topoftheline' in-game, and it did then allow me to build a higher level in the tech tree, but I still couldn't build the highest level units (orca, mammoth tank, chinook, commando) or the highest level structures (advanced guard tower or advanced communication center), and strangely the only wall I could build were sandbag walls (no barbed wire, chain link, or concrete).

Sorry for my inexperience, but when putting in the 'CustomBuildLevel' and 'RemoveBuildExceptions' options in to enable acess to the full tech tree in the campaign missions, which '.ini' files exactly should I edit, and exactly which 'basic' section in those '.ini' files should I be adding the 'CustomBuildLevel' and 'RemoveBuildExceptions' options to? Thanks for all the help. I definitely appreciate it.

and after editing put them back in 'general.mix' and 'updatec.mix' using XCC Mix Editor.

Which part of "never modify any of the original game archives" didn't you understand? Don't put any files back into the mix files; they work by just putting them in the game folder.

I uninstalled the game and did a clean reinstall, and after strarting a new game and starting the first GDI campaign mission I tried typing 'topoftheline' in-game, and it did then allow me to build a higher level in the tech tree, but I still couldn't build the highest level units (orca, mammoth tank, chinook, commando) or the highest level structures (advanced guard tower or advanced communication center), and strangely the only wall I could build were sandbag walls (no barbed wire, chain link, or concrete).

Hm, it seems that code is still quite buggy in Revision 1. It's already fixed in my internal version for the next release though.

Sorry for my inexperience, but when putting in the 'CustomBuildLevel' and 'RemoveBuildExceptions' options in to enable acess to the full tech tree in the campaign missions, which '.ini' files exactly should I edit, and exactly which 'basic' section in those '.ini' files should I be adding the 'CustomBuildLevel' and 'RemoveBuildExceptions' options to? Thanks for all the help. I definitely appreciate it.

-The mission files are the "scg01ea.ini" type files. There should be only one Basic section in them, and if there are more, C&C will only read the first one anyway. Simply extract the mission file to the game folder and LEAVE IT THERE, and that version in the game folder will be used instead of the version inside general.mix.

-CustomBuildLevel is already globally activated, in rules.ini. You don't need it. To increase the build level of a mission, just change the BuildLevel option in the mission's ini.

-RemoveBuildExceptions only really has an effect for Nod, since they have locked units like the SSM and chem warriors. For GDI the effect is just that a captured Nod construction yard will allow you to build the obelisk and temple, which are normally blocked.

Which part of "never modify any of the original game archives" didn't you understand? Don't put any files back into the mix files; they work by just putting them in the game folder.

Sorry I didn't clarify. I was just trying to answer your question about how I had originally mofidied the files (i.e. what I had done before I had started this thread last Sunday). I of course didn't try to modify general.mix or updatec.mix again after your post about not to modify any of the original archive files.

-The mission files are the "scg01ea.ini" type files. There should be only one Basic section in them, and if there are more, C&C will only read the first one anyway. Simply extract the mission file to the game folder and LEAVE IT THERE, and that version in the game folder will be used instead of the version inside general.mix.

-CustomBuildLevel is already globally activated, in rules.ini. You don't need it. To increase the build level of a mission, just change the BuildLevel option in the mission's ini.

-RemoveBuildExceptions only really has an effect for Nod, since they have locked units like the SSM and chem warriors. For GDI the effect is just that a captured Nod construction yard will allow you to build the obelisk and temple, which are normally blocked.

I had played the vanilla version of the game (without anything edited) last night until I got to GDI campaign mission 3, where I saved the game. So tonight when I tried to edit a mission file, I decided to try editing the buildlevel on the third GDI campaign mission file, 'scg03ea.ini'. I extracted 'scg03ea.ini' from 'general.mix' into the game folder, and opened it up for editing with Wordpad, went down to the first 'BASIC' section I could find and changed the buildlevel to 98. I also extracted the 'rules.ini' file from 'updatec.mix' into the game folder, and opened it up for editing to make sure the 'CustomBuildLevel' line was set to 'Yes' (which it was). I started the game and loaded my save game file for the 3rd GDI campaign mission. In that save game I had not deployed my MCV yet, so after loading the game I deployed it to see if I could build the full tech tree, but again I could only build the normal tech tree for this campaign mission. So I tried restarting the mission to see if that would do anything, but as soon as I clicked restart the game froze. I alt-tabbed out and Windows was showing this error message:

Application Error: C:\Westwood\C&C95\C&C95.exe

The instruction at 004ce0cb referenced memory at 00000000

The memory could not be read from

Click on OK to terminate the application.

So for some reason it's still freezing on me, even though I didn't try to put anything back into the 'mix' files.

In case you wanted to see it, here is the first 'BASIC' section I found in the 'scg03ea.ini' file and edited by changing the buildlevel to 98 (changing the buildlevel from 3 to 98 was the only editing I did on it).

[bASIC]

CarryOverCap=-1

CarryOverMoney=20

Intro=x

BuildLevel=98

Theme=No theme

Percent=100

Action=x

Player=GoodGuy

Win=GUNBOAT

Lose=GAMEOVER

Brief=GDI9

Hm, it seems that code is still quite buggy in Revision 1. It's already fixed in my internal version for the next release though.

Great, any ETA on when the next release will be out?

Again, thanks for all your help.

A savegame does not need the ini to run, so it doesn't read information from the ini either. You have to restart to see changes in the mission. The ini is only the start situation of a game after all. If you add an extra unit in the ini it won't magically appear in a savegame of the mission either :P

The error you got (address 004ce0cb) was on the "Ascii to Integer" function, meaning conversion of text read from the ini file to numbers (like that buildlevel value). Something must've been really wrong in the ini. Can you zip and then attach the actual file, so I can see for myself exactly what could've caused this?

By the way, which program do you use to edit the ini files? Because you seem to seriously mess them up on your edits somehow.

Great, any ETA on when the next release will be out?

Not really. I need to find a french translator -_-

The error you got (address 004ce0cb) was on the "Ascii to Integer" function, meaning conversion of text read from the ini file to numbers (like that buildlevel value). Something must've been really wrong in the ini. Can you zip and then attach the actual file, so I can see for myself exactly what could've caused this?

I zipped my 'scg03ea.ini' file, but it was bigger than the 1.5MB attachment size limit, so I can't attach it.

By the way, which program do you use to edit the ini files? Because you seem to seriously mess them up on your edits somehow.

I use XCC Mixer to extract the '.ini' file out of the '.mix' file, but I couldn't find a way to use any of the XCC Utilities programs to edit the actual '.ini' file after it was extracted, so I just use WordPad to edit the '.ini' files. I know I'm probably just missing something really simple that explains why I keep messing up the '.ini' files when I edit them, but I've never tried to edit C&C files before, so I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm sure my inexperience must be trying your patience, but I definitely do appreciate all the help so far. Thank you.

Edited by tripleshu

I zipped my 'scg03ea.ini' file, but it was bigger than the 1.5MB attachment size limit, so I can't attach it.

Woah, what? It should never exceed 16 kilobytes. Yours is 100 times as big as it should be.

I use XCC Mixer to extract the '.ini' file out of the '.mix' file, but I couldn't find a way to use any of the XCC Utilities programs to edit the actual '.ini' file after it was extracted, so I just use WordPad to edit the '.ini' files. I know I'm probably just missing something really simple that explains why I keep messing up the '.ini' files when I edit them, but I've never tried to edit C&C files before, so I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm sure my inexperience must be trying your patience, but I definitely do appreciate all the help so far. Thank you.

It's definitely your saving that messes them up. The .ini files are plain simple text. Just use Notepad for them.

Yours is 10 times as big as it should be.

Nice math skills. :P

1.5 MB = 1500 kB

1MB = 1024KB

ergo

1.5MB = 1536KB If we are going to be exact

Well yes, that is technically true, however most hardware companies use the metric multiple these days rather than binary, so it makes the whole thing kind of fuzzy.

My point was the difference of 10 and 100 though, not exactness, otherwise I would have also indicated that 100 x 16 = 1600, not 1500.

Meh. Too tired for math at the moment. It's still way too bloody big for an ini file :P

Anyway, fixed, the only thing wrong now is Nmenth's quote Hah.

Woah, what? It should never exceed 16 kilobytes. Yours is 100 times as big as it should be.

Ugh, my stupidity knows no bounds :rolleyes:. I knew I was definitely doing something wrong after Nyerguds pointed out that '.ini' files should of course just be a few KB, but when I would extract the '.ini' files they were around 3MB in size. Just as I knew it was going to turn out to be, it was something very simple that I was screwing up. It's embarrasing how dumb what I was doing was, but it was so dumb I deserve to be flogged for it so here it is. In XCC Mixer you select a '.mix' file, and in the right side of the program window it shows all the files (including any '.ini' files present) in that '.mix' file. I thought then all I had to do was select extract and save the '.ini' filename that I wanted to extract out of the selected '.mix' file. But of course what was actually happening is that I was extracting (and renaming as an '.ini' file) the entire '.mix' file, not just the particular '.ini' file I was after. After Nyerguds pointed out the '.ini' files should only be a few KB in size after extraction, I went back and played around with XCC Mixer again and found out once a '.mix' file is selected you're then supposed to go into the '.mix' file by double-clicking it (I should change my screen name to 'moron' :rolleyes: for not having realized that to begin with). Then of course all the files in that '.mix' file, including any '.ini' files, show up on the left side of the program window, and then the '.ini' file can be extracted from there. I'm sure everyone's wondering how anyone can be so dumb as to screw up something so simple. All I can say is I have never done any C&C editing before and never used any XCC utility before. Sigh :rolleyes:, maybe I should just sell my PC and only keep things I can operate properly, like light switches and alarm clocks.

Needless to say everything works fine now. I can extract a campaign mission '.ini' file, set the build level to 98, and then when I play that campaign mission I have access to the full tech tree, though there are a few quirks. For some reason I can't build chem troopers, even if I put the 'RemoveBuildExceptions=1' option in the mission's '.ini' file, and even if I have built all the prerequisite structures (construction yard, power plant, hand of Nod, refinery, comm center, obelisk, temple of Nod). Additionally, if I am playing a GDI campaign mission I can build Orcas and Chinooks, but not Attack Helicopters, even if I have built a helipad and captured a Nod construction yard and built or captured a Hand of Nod. Likewise if I am playing a NOD campaign mission I can build Attack Helicopters and Chinooks, but not Orcas. Also, in a GDI campaign if I capture a Nod construction yard and build a Nod Temple I get the nuclear strike, but in a NOD campaign if I capture a GDI construction yard and build an Advanced Comm Center, I don't get acess to the Ion Cannon. No big deal though, and still being able to build virtually the entire tech tree in the campaign missions is a lot of fun. Of course I would like to thank :thumbsup: Nyerguds :thumbsup: for the superhuman amount of patience he has shown in helping this dumb newb out (and hopefully this will be the first, last, and only thread I start over something so stupidly simple a 4-year old could have figured it out).

Edited by tripleshu

For some reason I can't build chem troopers, even if I put the 'RemoveBuildExceptions=1' option in the mission's '.ini' file, and even if I have built all the prerequisite structures (construction yard, power plant, hand of Nod, refinery, comm center, obelisk, temple of Nod).

Hmm, is that in a GDI or a Nod mission?

By the way, the only prerequisite of the chem troopers is the Temple.

Additionally, if I am playing a GDI campaign mission I can build Orcas and Chinooks, but not Attack Helicopters, even if I have built a helipad and captured a Nod construction yard and built or captured a Hand of Nod. Likewise if I am playing a NOD campaign mission I can build Attack Helicopters and Chinooks, but not Orcas.

That's normal. There's no way to do that except capturing a helipad from the other side. After all, just like you need an enemy CY to get their construction options, you need an enemy helipad to get their helicopter construction options. It's just a side effect of the fact the buildings are the same for both sides, unlike the Barracks / Hand of Nod and Weapons Factory / Airstrip.

Also, in a GDI campaign if I capture a Nod construction yard and build a Nod Temple I get the nuclear strike, but in a NOD campaign if I capture a GDI construction yard and build an Advanced Comm Center, I don't get access to the Ion Cannon.

Really? Huh. I should look into that. I think I can trace down where superweapons are given now, since I got the crate pickup code that gives them.

Maybe it was blocked because you actually own an Advanced Comm Center in Nod mission 12 though. Though it really shouldn't matter at all since you win the mission from the moment you capture it.

Of course I would like to thank :thumbsup: Nyerguds :thumbsup: for the superhuman amount of patience he has shown in helping this dumb newb out (and hopefully this will be the first, last, and only thread I start over something so stupidly simple a 4-year old could have figured it out).

Eh. No problem. I'm used to it. At least you figured out your problem.

By the way, about that problem... I usually use this (much easier) method for extracting files from a mixfile:

xcc-copy-extract.png

Hmm, is that in a GDI or a Nod mission?

Both, I tried it while playing NOD mission 2 and GDI mission 3 (after I had captured the Nod Construction yard and Hand of Nod), but in both cases even after I had a Hand of Nod and built a Temple, I still couldn't build chem troopers. I thought it was strange, because I could still build every other high level unit (chinooks, commandos, SSM launchers, etc.).

That's normal. There's no way to do that except capturing a helipad from the other side. After all, just like you need an enemy CY to get their construction options, you need an enemy helipad to get their helicopter construction options. It's just a side effect of the fact the buildings are the same for both sides, unlike the Barracks / Hand of Nod and Weapons Factory / Airstrip.

Ah, I see now, yes that makes sense.

Really? Huh. I should look into that. I think I can trace down where superweapons are given now, since I got the crate pickup code that gives them.

Maybe it was blocked because you actually own an Advanced Comm Center in Nod mission 12 though. Though it really shouldn't matter at all since you win the mission from the moment you capture it.

After my post last night I realized I hadn't added the 'RemoveBuildExceptions=1' line to the Nod mission's '.ini' file, so maybe that had something to do with it. I'll add that in and try playing the mission again to see if it makes a difference.

Eh. No problem. I'm used to it. At least you figured out your problem.

By the way, about that problem... I usually use this (much easier) method for extracting files from a mixfile:

xcc-copy-extract.png

Thanks, I 'll definitely use that method the next time I extract files.

Superweapons aren't part of the normal build logics. Their enabling seems to be handled completely separately.

As for the file extraction, the big problem is that most people aren't even aware that xcc has that second file browser, and even if they know the Copy functions, they just think anything converted or copied with them "ends up in the XCC folder" (which is simply the default location of both file browsers). Copying in those browsers works both ways, btw; the only restriction is that you can't use the Copy commands if the other side has an archive opened.

Superweapons aren't part of the normal build logics. Their enabling seems to be handled completely separately.

Yes that's exactly what I found, because even after I also tried setting 'RemoveBuildExceptions=1' in one of the Nod mission '.ini' files, I still wasn't able to get the ion cannon (again even after capturing a GDI construction yard and building an advanced comm center). It's kind of weird though that the program allows the player to get the nuclear strike during a GDI campaign mission, but they can't get the ion cannon when playing a Nod mission. Of course this result could just be due to some weird artifact of the original code. Afterall, I'm sure when WestWood originally wrote it, they didn't anticipate people editing mission files a decade and a half later on PCs using an editor program and versions of Windows that hadn't even been created yet. :)

As for the file extraction, the big problem is that most people aren't even aware that xcc has that second file browser, and even if they know the Copy functions, they just think anything converted or copied with them "ends up in the XCC folder" (which is simply the default location of both file browsers). Copying in those browsers works both ways, btw; the only restriction is that you can't use the Copy commands if the other side has an archive opened.

Yeah that's one of the (numerous) mistakes I made at first, not finding that second browser in the XCC editor window. It's handy that copying in the browsers works in both directions, I'll keep that in mind the next time I do any edting.

Edited by tripleshu

Yes that's exactly what I found, because even after I also tried setting 'RemoveBuildExceptions=1' in one of the Nod mission '.ini' files, I still wasn't able to get the ion cannon (again even after capturing a GDI construction yard and building an advanced comm center). It's kind of weird though that the program allows the player to get the nuclear strike during a GDI campaign mission, but they can't get the ion cannon when playing a Nod mission. Of course this result could just be due to some weird artifact of the original code. Afterall, I'm sure when WestWood originally wrote it, they didn't anticipate people editing mission files a decade and a half later on PCs using an editor program and versions of Windows that hadn't even been created yet. :)

Umm... I made the RemoveBuildExceptions logic. Westwood has nothing to do with it. It's 100% my own code. And I made it FOR mission making/editing. It's just that I haven't yet found how the game gives players superweapons. If I knew I would've added it to the logic.

Umm... I made the RemoveBuildExceptions logic. Westwood has nothing to do with it. It's 100% my own code. And I made it FOR mission making/editing. It's just that I haven't yet found how the game gives players superweapons. If I knew I would've added it to the logic.

Yes I know you wrote it, what I meant was when Westwood was writing the original code for Tiberium Dawn back in 1995 (and earlier), I'm sure they couldn't have anticipated people writing programs (like XCC and your 1.06C patch) for it over a decade later, or what quirks might result (like not being able to build chem troopers, or not being able to get the ion cannon when playing Nod campaign missions). By the way, just for the heck of it I tried changing the build level from 98 to 99 in one of the Nod mission '.ini' files, and again I could build every single other high level unit except chem troopers (I didn't think it would work, but I thought no harm in trying it out). No big deal though. I'm having a lot of fun replaying the campaign missions while being able to build units and structures that are normally only available in multi. That's one of the thing's I like best about your patch, plus of course also being able to play the game in 1024x768 resolution. I don't know how long it took you to write the 1.06c patch, but thanks for doing so, this patch is awesome.

Edited by tripleshu

You don't understand... my patch CHANGES the original Westwood logics to make them do what I want. It's not some extra program. It is the actual original C&C95.exe which I modified. I don't have to obey anything Westwood originally intended; I modify the original exe to make it do what I want.

The game has a set of rules that it applies to single player games, to disable the chem troopers and SSMs and such. I edited that logic to make it skip all these checks when RemoveBuildExceptions is enabled, so you can build everything. If some of it still doesn't work even with RemoveBuildExceptions enabled, it'd be an error in MY code.

Not that it matters; I know it works 100% in my current internal version (1.06c revision 2), so it's not like I still have to fix anything in it.

By the way, it's better not to use tech level 99; it allows you to build some things that really break the game, like the Mobile Headquarters vehicle.

You don't understand... my patch CHANGES the original Westwood logics to make them do what I want. It's not some extra program. It is the actual original C&C95.exe which I modified. I don't have to obey anything Westwood originally intended; I modify the original exe to make it do what I want.

The game has a set of rules that it applies to single player games, to disable the chem troopers and SSMs and such. I edited that logic to make it skip all these checks when RemoveBuildExceptions is enabled, so you can build everything. If some of it still doesn't work even with RemoveBuildExceptions enabled, it'd be an error in MY code.

Oh I see now. I had thought that part of your 1.06c patch was just a way of enabling the original 'funkpark effect' in the single-player campaign missions, that Covert Operations enabled in both itself and Tiberium Dawn back when they were both originally released in the mid-1990s. I know that (at least in the original DOS versions) if a player had Tiberium Dawn and Covert Operations installed, saved a game while in a single-player mission, exited out of the game and restarted using 'C&C-funpark' at the command prompt (instead of entering just 'C&C'), and then loaded the single-player campaign mission save game rather than continuing on with playing the dinosaur missions, the player could then build the entire multiplayer tech tree in that single player campaign mission, and that this worked for any of the single-player campaign missions in both the Tiberium Dawn and Covert Operations.

Not that it matters; I know it works 100% in my current internal version (1.06c revision 2), so it's not like I still have to fix anything in it.

By the way, it's better not to use tech level 99; it allows you to build some things that really break the game, like the Mobile Headquarters vehicle.

Yes I know the tech level should normally bet set to no higher than 98 to prevent stability problems. Like I said I just tried it out to see if it would get me the chem troopers. I'm looking forward to the release of the next version of the patch.

Edited by tripleshu

Oh I see now. I had thought that part of your 1.06c patch was just a way of enabling the original 'funkpark effect' in the single-player campaign missions, that Covert Operations enabled in both itself and Tiberium Dawn back when they were both originally released in the mid-1990s. I know that (at least in the original DOS versions) if a player had Tiberium Dawn and Covert Operations installed, saved a game while in a single-player mission, exited out of the game and restarted using 'C&C-funpark' at the command prompt (instead of entering just 'C&C'), and then loaded the single-player campaign mission save game rather than continuing on with playing the dinosaur missions, the player could then build the entire multiplayer tech tree in that single player campaign mission, and that this worked for any of the single-player campaign missions in both the Tiberium Dawn and Covert Operations.

Yes I know the tech level should normally bet set to no higher than 98 to prevent stability problems. Like I said I just tried it out to see if it would get me the chem troopers. I'm looking forward to the release of the next version of the patch.

The tech level bug affects even multiplayer games, i remember when i was testing it with LAN in old v1.05a. Both using -funpark, i got all building options (GDI and Nod.)

Hey Nyerguds! can you make a tech level where you don't need the Refinery for build things like Factory and Radar? it will be usefull for missions there's no Tiberium. :D

"-funpark" doesn't exist, Pichorra. Only "funpark" (case insensitive) works. And the fact you get both sides' construction options there is because it sometimes messes up the team choice, and multi teams have all sides' construction options by default. By the way, if you play multiplayer with funpark the game randomly spawns dinosaurs :P

And no, prerequisites are 100% unrelated to techlevel/buildlevel.

"-funpark" doesn't exist, Pichorra. Only "funpark" (case insensitive) works. And the fact you get both sides' construction options there is because it sometimes messes up the team choice, and multi teams have all sides' construction options by default. By the way, if you play multiplayer with funpark the game randomly spawns dinosaurs :P

And no, prerequisites are 100% unrelated to techlevel/buildlevel.

The dinossaurs Spawing still works on v1.06c? and is the spawing slow like the visceroid ones? :P

I know you make the Funpark missions selectable into "New Missions" of the Covert Operations menu.

Edited by pichorra

Well I never really removed Funpark mode... I just made it unnecessary by making all of its special behaviour into mission options.

As for the ratio, it's hard to say since the game generates a random number on every tick, and if it's in a certain range the unit spawns. And I believe this mechanism is repeated for each dino type, rather than ran once and then (if the random succeeded) randomly selecting one of the 4 dinos.

I can look up the chance compared to the visceroid though. I don't think they were the same.