Sign in to follow this  
comander starlin

Games of our Childhood

hay guys i figured i would start a discussion on old school games of our childhood, and what made us so fond of them, and would we still play them and or still like them.

for me it is Monkey Island. i loved these games, just simple good old fashion storytelling that was funny but didn't derive from the story. and there is something about the old point and click aspect of the games. that was just superbly designed.

one of my all time favorites in the saga would be number 3. The Curse of Monkey Island.

this game was at one of the last great heights of this style of game play. it was full of laughs, retro throwbacks, and just play beautiful graphics it wasn't this new fan-dangled 3d, it was just simple images with great designs that worked well. and with a great score and dialog, and just smart gameplay. and one of my all time favorite game quotes came from this game. "No i will Not ask you about Grim Fandango!" lolz it still gets me.

in regards on if i stall play it. yes! it lives on my hdd, and every new computer it goes on that to. along with RA1, i still play the saga, and i will as long as they keep making them, but i hope that they make a nice game that throws it back to this pillar of gaming genus of The Curse of Monkey Island.

wow i love the great emphasis on your choice...... anywho who doesn't love Postman Pat he is an icon to a lot of European kids. i must say i have never played it but i might find a rom for it and have a go....

Wasn't Postman Pat a cartoon?

postman pat is a tv show from back in the day! 80's/90's which was aimed at kids.

this explains it quite well

ZZT. It was an ANSI character-based game from 1991 with an editor to write your own codes and make your own games. It was very influential in making me find creating games more fun than playing them.

My childhood game was C&C of course. :) As I'm not that old.

Vanilla RA2 (I used to play this like mad!), RCT 1 and Worms Armageddon.

Mortal Kombat (1), Jazz Jackrabbit (1 & 2), Dune II, and Lemmings. That sort of sums it up :)

Guest Stevie_K

Hocus Pocus - The first game I remember playing. It was installed on my dads gigantic DOS laptop in 94.

Raptor: Call of the Shadows - I remember playing it during the night on a huge PC, in an office complex where my dad worked back in 94. It was so awesome.

Command & Conquer - The first game I ever bought... all the great memories.

Doom - First FPS I've played. Spooky as hell back then (needed to have someone in the room with me when I played it).

Diablo II - The game that made me a gamer. Nothing more to be said.

Post nr. 1337 th_smiley_headbang.gif

Edited by Stevie_K

Total Annihilation Battlezone and Incoming!

got them bundled for like 10 bucks iirc.

Second game from my childhood, that i fondly remember! is Ridge Racer

I remember the first day that I went into an arcade, after seeing Jurassic Park with my dad. We both sat down and played the original on the arcade. I remember it fondly as I sucked so much at it. Then 2 years later I pick it up for my PSX (Playstation) and I yet again sit down with my dad and absolutely enjoy it. This was my introduction to a classic arcade racer.

Over the next few years ridge racer become the home for a good game for me. we got graced with Ridge Racer Revolution, Rage Racer both solid arcade titles. with hours of entertainment, just great time killers. Then along came Ridge Racer Type 4..... all I can say holy cr** this game ruled, it took driving to a whole new skill level, every track was a challenge, every car handled differently, and wait... a storyline.

This was new for a racer, a storyline that motivated you. it drove you to win, and to top it of the music was great from day one. high energy and high speed equaled fun! it just pushed the boundary's of arcade racers, and I must say from that moment onward I was hooked for life.

The Ridge Racer saga will be around for a long time. Its impact on the world of home arcade racing has been huge. Its music is iconic, and well known in gaming for hard and fast trance/techno music. Most people can say that they have listened to the iconic track "Moving in Circles" from the Ridge Racer Type 4 OST, this song and game have just defined the series since its release.

The reasons why I love these games and why I still play them, (I have RRT4 on my PSP) is the game play was at it peak, way back in 1999, the music is still awesome, and by the way Namco is now Starting to spend some more love on the Ridge Racer saga, they are now taking an active interest in their community they have taken some suggestions for Ridge Racer for the PSP Vita, some of the ideas floated is an update of the structure of RRT4 and develop it to modern applications. For all these reason I love Ridge Racer, they always change up the game from those serious simulation gamers like Need For Speed - Shift and Gran Turismo, which seem to be what racers are now.

Keep up the great work Namco you will always be my favorite game maker.

Turrican on the good old Commodore 64 in the early 1990's... like 1991/1992 to be exact. Massive game for its time. It did things the experts said the Commodore 64 wasn't even capable of. These were great days for gaming :)

iFATC.png

Follow this link http://www.nemmelheim.de/turrican/facts/ to read about some interesting Turrican facts, like its creators inspirations, it even has links to the 1986 Transformers movie soundtrack!

I also remember playing Creatures on the C64 a lot as well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatures_%28...dore_64_game%29.

Hocus Pocus - The first game I remember playing. It was installed on my dads gigantic DOS laptop in 94.

Raptor: Call of the Shadows - I remember playing it during the night on a huge PC, in an office complex where my dad worked back in 94. It was so awesome.

Ohh yeah... we got shareware versions of those. Played em to death :D

Pac-Man, Prince of Persia, Duke Nukem, Commander Keen, Jazz Jackrabbit, Super Mario and many others I don't remember. I don't think I would like playing them right now, though. Maybe when I grow old and nostalgic :P

Duke Nukem

Not THE Duke Nukem from 1991?

Not THE Duke Nukem from 1991?

I played all Duke Nukems. I didn't really play it in 1991, as I was 2 years old at that time, but not really long after that either. I literally grew up with that ****.