Sign in to follow this  
KevinLancaster

Multiplayer scripting

I don't really understand what you mean. There is a fixed set of possible player start locations on each map, and all players are randomly distributed over those. I doubt the game makes any difference between AI and human players when that happens.

Since they own the north edge of the map by default, reinforcements will only come from that side unless I change it right? Is there a way for the game to detect where an AI's start location is and have units come from there? I was thinking that maybe the AI should attack from all around, though that leads to the problem of units showing up inside your base. But that central starting locations idea might work.

Speaking of reinforcements, do the units just wait off the edge of the map if they are blocked from entering? I remember in the GDI mission where you had to protect Mobius and the civilians I once stopped the Chinooks from dropping Nod troops in the town by leaving an MLRS there, and they just flew off screen. But the problem is that after I started attacking the Nod bases, at least 10 Chinooks came and destroyed the entire town, which led to a lot of mission failures before I left a few Rocket Soldiers there to take them out.

EDIT: Whenever I start up XCC Editor, it either says "Structures load failed", or if I run it in administrator mode, "Infantry load failed" and "Units load failed." The first time I started it up in admin mode however, it worked fine. Don't know what the problem is.

EDIT2: The problem seems to have been fixed by re-installing and starting only in Admistrator Mode. I want to ask, though, how does the game manage it's multiplayer maps? The default maps go from scm09ea to scm70ea.

EDIT3: Is there a way for shroud to be already uncovered when you start the game? It's tedious to build up everything if I just want to test if the reinforcements work.

EDIT4: The load problem returned after opened and closed XCC Editor a few times. Also, how does the loop function work? If I read correctly, if set to 2 every time any unit with the trigger is affected then the event will happen. Well I set the trigger to # units dstr. and the count to 1, with the loop set to 2. I created a team of 5 minigunners as a test. When I destroyed a mobile HQ, however, dozens of minigunners showed up instead of just 5. And about the Dstr Trig "xxxx", can it only be named XXXX or can you change this? *(I think I figured out why dozens of minigunners showed up - it's because it KEEPS being activated when 1 unit is destroyed, not just being activated ONCE every time 1 unit is destroyed. Is there a way of having it do this?)

EDIT5: How does the Create Team trigger work? I changed one of my triggers from reinforce to create team , but when I destroyed the units with the trigger nothing happened. Does it only work with buildings or something? Also, for the Time trigger, how long is a "count" exactly? *(I think I might just settle on time to reinforce the AIs, because fooling around with the destruction tiggers seems to cause a lot of trouble.)

Edited by KevinLancaster

Man, you just keep asking stuff.... :P

Since they own the north edge of the map by default, reinforcements will only come from that side unless I change it right? Is there a way for the game to detect where an AI's start location is and have units come from there? I was thinking that maybe the AI should attack from all around, though that leads to the problem of units showing up inside your base. But that central starting locations idea might work.

Yeah, as I said... you just choose where each player is going to "belong" when making the triggers, and ignore where their start units will start off. I think that's the best way. And then you just choose which side each player will reinforce from.

Speaking of reinforcements, do the units just wait off the edge of the map if they are blocked from entering? I remember in the GDI mission where you had to protect Mobius and the civilians I once stopped the Chinooks from dropping Nod troops in the town by leaving an MLRS there, and they just flew off screen. But the problem is that after I started attacking the Nod bases, at least 10 Chinooks came and destroyed the entire town, which led to a lot of mission failures before I left a few Rocket Soldiers there to take them out.

Umm, don't reinforce by chinook. Just let them enter the map from the side. If you make an impassable barrier just outside the playable area of the map, and then make gaps in that, you can perfectly control where reinforcements end up, by making them come from that side and moving them to a waypoints just next to the gap you made.

EDIT: Whenever I start up XCC Editor, it either says "Structures load failed", or if I run it in administrator mode, "Infantry load failed" and "Units load failed." The first time I started it up in admin mode however, it worked fine. Don't know what the problem is.

EDIT2: The problem seems to have been fixed by re-installing and starting only in Admistrator Mode.

Make sure you have taken ownership of all files in the XCC folder.

I want to ask, though, how does the game manage it's multiplayer maps? The default maps go from scm09ea to scm70ea.

No, the originals go from 01 to 98, with many gaps in between. Originally, only 01 to 99 were available, but I expanded that to go up to 255. (More than 255 doesn't work since the map number is sent in 1 byte, and a byte value only goes from 0 to 255)

There's a full list of all official and unofficial maps in use on CnCNet here:

http://www.cnc-comm....php?topic=441.0

EDIT3: Is there a way for shroud to be already uncovered when you start the game? It's tedious to build up everything if I just want to test if the reinforcements work.

I added a cheat code for that, but it's obviously disabled in multiplayer mode, so it won't help you much. I may add an exception to it for skirmish mode though.

Also, how does the loop function work? If I read correctly, if set to 2 every time any unit with the trigger is affected then the event will happen.

Ummm, no. Objects that are GIVEN a trigger only cause it to ACTIVATE. Not the other way around. Trigger effects have no relation with what objects a trigger is "given" to, nor can reinforced or built units have a connection with a trigger. If you have a trigger given to certain units on the map, and the trigger is set to "1", it will activate once after ALL the units have been triggered (think GDI airstrike logic on SAM Sites; once they're all gone, you get airstrike, once). If the trigger is set to "2", it will activate EVERY TIME one of the trigger-bearing units is triggered (destroyed, attacked, discovered...)

Well I set the trigger to # units dstr. and the count to 1, with the loop set to 2. I created a team of 5 minigunners as a test. When I destroyed a mobile HQ, however, dozens of minigunners showed up instead of just 5.

"# Units destr" is not a trigger linked to specific map objects, so it makes no difference between 1 and 2. Since it is a looped counter, your trigger translates to:

"reinforce 5 minigunners for every destroyed unit of the specified house"

Seems like the tale of the dragon to me... every time you cut off a head, 5 new ones grow. A sure-fire way to get swamped with an exponentially expanding amount of minigunners :P

If the MHQ was not the only enemy of that house on the map, then this result is obvious. The MHQ triggers global destruction of all objects of that House, and your trigger is set to reinforce 5 minigunners every time "1" unit is destroyed.

If the MHQ was indeed the only unit, then it's possible your first team of 5 was already reinforced after the MHQ died, but before the global destruction it triggered. This means that the global destruction coming from the MHQ killed another 5 units, giving another 25 reinforced minigunners, putting your total to 30, or even 35 if the MHQ spawned a technician when it was destroyed.

And about the Dstr Trig "xxxx", can it only be named XXXX or can you change this? *(I think I figured out why dozens of minigunners showed up - it's because it KEEPS being activated when 1 unit is destroyed, not just being activated ONCE every time 1 unit is destroyed. Is there a way of having it do this?)

There are 6 of those. UUUU VVVV WWWW XXXX YYYY and ZZZZ. The first three of those are newly added (cloned) in 1.06c. As for the rest of your question, I don't really understand. Set the trigger's loop status to "0" and it won't loop at all.

The same trigger can't be destroyed more than once anyway, so it's irrelevant here. Once trigger destruction is called, the affected trigger (like, XXXX) will no longer execute. If that's the reinforcing trigger, the reinforcing will stop. End of story. Execute the "destroy trigger" again, and it won't have any effect, since the trigger is already destroyed.

This does mean you can perfectly make multiple triggers causing the destruction of one other trigger. Only the number of triggers that CAN be destroyed is limited.

EDIT5: How does the Create Team trigger work? I changed one of my triggers from reinforce to create team , but when I destroyed the units with the trigger nothing happened. Does it only work with buildings or something?

"Create Team" makes a team with specific orders out of units already on the map. It doesn't work in multiplayer because all units on the map automatically switch to the Hunt command, and units on Hunt are not recruitable by the Create Team trigger, as far as I know.

Also, for the Time trigger, how long is a "count" exactly? *(I think I might just settle on time to reinforce the AIs, because fooling around with the destruction triggers seems to cause a lot of trouble.)

Um, obviously you should use Time to reinforce AIs. If you reinforce new enemies EVERY TIME the previous ones are destroyed, you're stuck in an endless loop of reinforcing enemies that never actually lets you win.

As for Time, it's kinda hard to say, since the game has game speed settings. You'll just have to try it out.

[edit]

I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly 1 tick is 1 minute on middle speed setting.

To make it simple, here's the basic setup. Works best in CTF mode, where all further enemy reinforcements will stop when you get their MHQ. The MHQ IS always spawned on the AI's spawn spot, and doesn't go towards the player since it is unarmed, so it serves as a perfect beacon. This won't solve the reinforce side & location issue though.

Note that in 1.06c revision 2 (next version), you can use waypoints above 11 for teamtypes in multiplayer, without the game seeing them as potential start locations.

[Triggers]

; this obviously requires the corresponding "mul#help" teams in the Teamtypes section.

uuuu=Time,Reinforce.,50,Multi1,mul1help,1

vvvv=Time,Reinforce.,50,Multi2,mul2help,1

wwww=Time,Reinforce.,50,Multi3,mul3help,1

xxxx=Time,Reinforce.,50,Multi4,mul4help,1

yyyy=Time,Reinforce.,50,Multi5,mul5help,1

zzzz=Time,Reinforce.,50,Multi6,mul6help,1

; For everyone: disable reinforcements if everything of the side is beaten.

; Could be modified to use "Bldgs Destr." to require destuction of pre-placed player-owned "reinforce beacons".

ds1a=All Destr.,Dstry Trig 'UUUU',0,Multi1,None,0

ds2a=All Destr.,Dstry Trig 'VVVV',0,Multi2,None,0

ds3a=All Destr.,Dstry Trig 'WWWW',0,Multi3,None,0

ds4a=All Destr.,Dstry Trig 'XXXX',0,Multi4,None,0

ds5a=All Destr.,Dstry Trig 'YYYY',0,Multi5,None,0

ds6a=All Destr.,Dstry Trig 'ZZZZ',0,Multi6,None,0

; for the human players: disable reinforce on MCV deploy. The"6" is the internal ID of the construction yard.

ds1b=Built it,Dstry Trig 'UUUU',6,Multi1,None,0

ds2b=Built it,Dstry Trig 'VVVV',6,Multi2,None,0

ds3b=Built it,Dstry Trig 'WWWW',6,Muli3,None,0

ds4b=Built it,Dstry Trig 'XXXX',6,Multi4,None,0

ds5b=Built it,Dstry Trig 'YYYY',6,Multi5,None,0

ds6b=Built it,Dstry Trig 'ZZZZ',6,Multi6,None,0

---

Note: remove all comment lines when pasting into an ini. The game has the annoying habit of ignoring the ';' comment characters, and just sees the lines as illegally constructed triggers. It's possible this only causes problems from the moment there's an '=' sign in the line though. I didn't actually test this here; I'm at work.

I did modified your code a little so that later on more advanced units start showing up, but I have a problem. Here's the code:

[TEAMTYPES]

TROOPS1=MULTI1,0,0,0,0,0,7,0,0,0,5,E1:8,E2:4,E4:2,E3:2,E5:2,1,ATTACK BASE:99,0,0

TROOPS2=MULTI2,0,0,0,0,0,7,0,0,0,5,E1:8,E2:4,E4:2,E3:2,E5:2,1,ATTACK BASE:99,0,0

TROOPS3=MULTI3,0,0,0,0,0,7,0,0,0,7,JEEP:2,BGGY:4,BIKE:2,LTNK:4,MTNK:2,APC:3,FTNK

:1,1,ATTACK BASE:99,0,0

TROOPS4=MULTI4,0,0,0,0,0,7,0,0,0,7,JEEP:2,BGGY:4,BIKE:2,LTNK:4,MTNK:2,APC:3,FTNK

TROOPS5=MULTI5,0,0,0,0,0,7,0,0,0,9,JEEP:4,BGGY:8,BIKE:4,LTNK:8,MTNK:4,APC:6,FTNK

:2,MSAM:2,MLRS:2,1,ATTACK BASE:99,0,0

TROOPS6=MULTI6,0,0,0,0,0,7,0,0,0,9,JEEP:4,BGGY:8,BIKE:4,LTNK:8,MTNK:4,APC:6,FTNK

[TRIGGERS]

DS1A=BUILT IT,DSTRY TRIG 'UUUU',6,MULTI1,NONE,0

DS1B=BUILT IT,DSTRY TRIG 'VVVV',6,MULTI2,NONE,0

DS1C=BUILT IT,DSTRY TRIG 'WWWW',6,MULTI3,NONE,0

DS1D=BUILT IT,DSTRY TRIG 'XXXX',6,MULTI4,NONE,0

DS1E=BUILT IT,DSTRY TRIG 'YYYY',6,MULTI5,NONE,0

DS1F=BUILT IT,DSTRY TRIG 'ZZZZ',6,MULTI6,NONE,0

UUUU=TIME,REINFORCE.,120,MULTI1,TROOPS1,1

VVVV=TIME,REINFORCE.,120,MULTI2,TROOPS2,1

WIN1=# UNITS DSTR.,WIN,999,MULTI1,NONE,0

WIN2=# UNITS DSTR.,WIN,999,MULTI2,NONE,0

WIN3=# UNITS DSTR.,WIN,999,MULTI3,NONE,0

WIN4=# UNITS DSTR.,WIN,999,MULTI4,NONE,0

WIN5=# UNITS DSTR.,WIN,999,MULTI5,NONE,0

WIN6=# UNITS DSTR.,WIN,999,MULTI6,NONE,0

WWWW=TIME,REINFORCE.,240,MULTI3,TROOPS3,1

XXXX=TIME,REINFORCE.,240,MULTI4,TROOPS4,1

YYYY=TIME,REINFORCE.,480,MULTI5,TROOPS5,1

ZZZZ=TIME,REINFORCE.,480,MULTI6,TROOPS6,1

The game crashes when it's trying to send in the second set of reinforcements.

Um, there's no such thing as a "win" trigger in multiplayer.

Um, there's no such thing as a "win" trigger in multiplayer.

I removed the win triggers and replaced them with triggers that just destoryed the reinforcement triggers, but it's still crashing when it tries to send the reinforcements. I got rid of the first set in this code so I could exclusive test the second. Is it a problem with the teamtypes, the triggers...?

[TEAMTYPES]
TROOPS3=MULTI3,0,0,0,0,0,7,0,0,0,7,JEEP:2,BGGY:4,BIKE:2,LTNK:4,MTNK:2,APC:3,FTNK
TROOPS4=MULTI4,0,0,0,0,0,7,0,0,0,7,JEEP:2,BGGY:4,BIKE:2,LTNK:4,MTNK:2,APC:3,FTNK
TROOPS5=MULTI5,0,0,0,0,0,7,0,0,0,9,JEEP:4,BGGY:8,BIKE:4,LTNK:8,MTNK:4,APC:6,FTNK
TROOPS6=MULTI6,0,0,0,0,0,7,0,0,0,9,JEEP:4,BGGY:8,BIKE:4,LTNK:8,MTNK:4,APC:6,FTNK

[TRIGGERS]
DS3B=BUILT IT,DSTRY TRIG 'WWWW',6,MULTI3,NONE,0
DS4B=BUILT IT,DSTRY TRIG 'XXXX',6,MULTI4,NONE,0
DS5B=BUILT IT,DSTRY TRIG 'YYYY',6,MULTI5,NONE,0
DS6B=BUILT IT,DSTRY TRIG 'ZZZZ',6,MULTI6,NONE,0
WN1C=# UNITS DSTR.,DESTRY TRIG 'WWWW',500,MULTI1,NONE,0
WN1D=# UNITS DSTR.,DESTRY TRIG 'XXXX',500,MULTI1,NONE,0
WN1E=# UNITS DSTR.,DESTRY TRIG 'YYYY',500,MULTI1,NONE,0
WN1F=# UNITS DSTR.,DESTRY TRIG 'ZZZZ',500,MULTI1,NONE,0
WN2C=# UNITS DSTR.,DESTRY TRIG 'WWWW',500,MULTI2,NONE,0
WN2D=# UNITS DSTR.,DESTRY TRIG 'XXXX',500,MULTI2,NONE,0
WN2E=# UNITS DSTR.,DESTRY TRIG 'YYYY',500,MULTI2,NONE,0
WN2F=# UNITS DSTR.,DESTRY TRIG 'ZZZZ',500,MULTI2,NONE,0
WN3C=# UNITS DSTR.,DESTRY TRIG 'WWWW',500,MULTI3,NONE,0
WN3D=# UNITS DSTR.,DESTRY TRIG 'XXXX',500,MULTI3,NONE,0
WN3E=# UNITS DSTR.,DESTRY TRIG 'YYYY',500,MULTI3,NONE,0
WN3F=# UNITS DSTR.,DESTRY TRIG 'ZZZZ',500,MULTI3,NONE,0
WN4C=# UNITS DSTR.,DESTRY TRIG 'WWWW',500,MULTI4,NONE,0
WN4D=# UNITS DSTR.,DESTRY TRIG 'XXXX',500,MULTI4,NONE,0
WN4E=# UNITS DSTR.,DESTRY TRIG 'YYYY',500,MULTI4,NONE,0
WN4F=# UNITS DSTR.,DESTRY TRIG 'ZZZZ',500,MULTI4,NONE,0
WN5C=# UNITS DSTR.,DESTRY TRIG 'WWWW',500,MULTI5,NONE,0
WN5D=# UNITS DSTR.,DESTRY TRIG 'XXXX',500,MULTI5,NONE,0
WN5E=# UNITS DSTR.,DESTRY TRIG 'YYYY',500,MULTI5,NONE,0
WN5F=# UNITS DSTR.,DESTRY TRIG 'ZZZZ',500,MULTI5,NONE,0
WN6C=# UNITS DSTR.,DESTRY TRIG 'WWWW',500,MULTI6,NONE,0
WN6D=# UNITS DSTR.,DESTRY TRIG 'XXXX',500,MULTI6,NONE,0
WN6E=# UNITS DSTR.,DESTRY TRIG 'YYYY',500,MULTI6,NONE,0
WN6F=# UNITS DSTR.,DESTRY TRIG 'ZZZZ',500,MULTI6,NONE,0
WWWW=TIME,REINFORCE.,240,MULTI3,TROOPS3,1
XXXX=TIME,REINFORCE.,240,MULTI4,TROOPS4,1
YYYY=TIME,REINFORCE.,480,MULTI5,TROOPS5,1
ZZZZ=TIME,REINFORCE.,480,MULTI6,TROOPS6,1

Also, what do you think of how I have the teams set up right now? Should the units be adjusted? I combined both GDI and Nod units because I wanted all of them to be included. Also, as it's set up right now, Multi1 has west, 2 has north, 3 has east, 4 has south, 5 has west, and 6 has north. But since 1 and 2 only get infantry, I figure it works out.

EDIT: Gosh, I just realized with what I have set up I don't need to combine the GDI and Nod forces, I can still divide tham, AND still have progressingly difficult waves.

Edited by KevinLancaster

As for the crashing...

-Crash instruction address from the error message? I can look that up in the exe, to see where (and, possible why) it crashed :P

-Did you edit the map's borders as I said? Maybe it crashes because there's no way in. This map is a nice example of specific reinforcement entrance points (note the holes north-left, west-bottom and south-left. The wider space east-center towards east-top is also used for reinforcements though, but the others look better for example purposes)

-Can you simply attach the files, so I can see the full details, and test it out myself?

By the way, you might want to try putting the house for the Reinforce triggers to "None" or 'Goodguy'. It gives better results in some cases, and the triggering for 'time' isn't house-sensitive anyway.

Those triggers look kind of odd. It means that, once you destroy 500 units of one House, no matter which one, all reinforcements stop. You do realize that they run parallel then, right? You probably still have to destroy thousands of units to finally kill 500 of one House.

It might be more logical to make one trigger for each House so you have to destroy, say, 100 units for that one House, and then that House stops reinforcing more. They'd have to be tweaked then though, so you need to kill more of the lower tech units, since they reinforce not only sooner, but since the triggers loop, also faster.

The idea of giving all houses a different 'tech level' is a nice one though :)

I haven't tested everything you mentioned yet but I just wanted to discuss something strange that I noticed:

I created a teamtype with APCs and tanks, but the problem is that when that team came, the only things that arrived were APCs! I wondered what the problem was, so I played a few test games without building an MCV to eventually get that team type. What I found out was that all the other units were loaded on one APC! But even when the APC got destroyed the units didn't get out.

Another thing to mention is that XCC Editor uses "Build it" instead of "Built it", which I don't think works.

Also, how do you get teams to loop their commands? I know they're supposed to loop automatically, so I created a series of commands to move the AI reinforcements one spawn point to another. But the thing is they seem to just stay in one place. In some of the campaign missions it seems that they have "Loop:0" at the end of their command lists, but this doesn't seem to have an effect. Once I set the reinforcements to "Attack Base:50" but the thing is if attacked them on their way to my base afterwards they would just stand there. With Attack Base sometimes it seems like they just don't attack. Is their anyway for a unit to just keep on attacking?

I thought that # Units Dstr. counts the number of units the side has destroyed. Is it the other way around, counting how many units the side has lost?

EDIT: I attached my latest test version. I re-added the triggers from scratch just in case there were any bugs. I haven't added the triggers to stop reinforcements yet, but the main problem is that the enemy units don't attack your base properly. They just remain at the edges. I think the crash was due to how vehicles were being loaded onto APCs. I have that loop:0 command on the teams right now even though it doesn't seem to do anything.

Also, with bases off, why does Tech Level 1 give you Medium Tanks? And when I tried testing with Nod it crashed the game. I was trying to play on default Green Acres, not my modified map. *I took out ddraw.dll and then it fixed itself. I'm using the ddraw final version for Red Alert, the one that removes the interlacing.

I attached the picture of the older crash I had too, in case you wanted to see it. But that crash hasn't yet occured with the version I attached.

scm00ea.zip

post-8196-1311966371_thumb.png

post-8196-1311966382_thumb.png

post-8196-1311966836_thumb.jpg

post-8196-1311967139_thumb.jpg

Edited by KevinLancaster

I asked PD more questions than you Nyer, Joshy and others combined. Nothing wrong with questions :P

I created a teamtype with APCs and tanks, but the problem is that when that team came, the only things that arrived were APCs! I wondered what the problem was, so I played a few test games without building an MCV to eventually get that team type. What I found out was that all the other units were loaded on one APC! But even when the APC got destroyed the units didn't get out.

Yeah, I guess it's impossible to auto-unload vehicles from an APC on destruction. I actually suspected this could be a problem, but I'd never tried using APCs in teams with other vehicles before. Apparently, it's not a good idea :P

Another thing to mention is that XCC Editor uses "Build it" instead of "Built it", which I don't think works.

Ah, nope, indeed. I'll tell Olaf next time I see him on MSN.

Also, how do you get teams to loop their commands? I know they're supposed to loop automatically, so I created a series of commands to move the AI reinforcements one spawn point to another. But the thing is they seem to just stay in one place. In some of the campaign missions it seems that they have "Loop:0" at the end of their command lists, but this doesn't seem to have an effect. Once I set the reinforcements to "Attack Base:50" but the thing is if attacked them on their way to my base afterwards they would just stand there. With Attack Base sometimes it seems like they just don't attack. Is their anyway for a unit to just keep on attacking?

Multiplayer scripting is a completely untested terrain at this moment. Stuff just acts way different in multiplayer. Pre-spawned units go to hunt from the moment the map starts, and the same happens for factory-produced AI units. I honestly never tried making teams work in multiplayer before; this is completely uncharted territory.

I thought that # Units Dstr. counts the number of units the side has destroyed. Is it the other way around, counting how many units the side has lost?

Indeed. Seeing as the normal "Units Destr." trigger means "execute if all units of this House are destroyed", it's pretty logical that the "# Units Destr." one does the same, but just not for ALL units, but a limited number.

EDIT: I attached my latest test version. I re-added the triggers from scratch just in case there were any bugs. I haven't added the triggers to stop reinforcements yet, but the main problem is that the enemy units don't attack your base properly. They just remain at the edges. I think the crash was due to how vehicles were being loaded onto APCs. I have that loop:0 command on the teams right now even though it doesn't seem to do anything.

Yeah, you might need to move them to a waypoint to actually come out of the edges correctly (which won't work right until I release r2 since any new waypoints will be seen as start points -_-).

You might want to try if the Hunt command works though. It's a bloody awful command, but if it gets them moving, that's something at least.

Also, with bases off, why does Tech Level 1 give you Medium Tanks?

Spawn units are kinda messed up in relation to tech levels, yeah. Dunno if I can fix that. I could look into it, but if there's no filtering mechanism whatsoever right now, actually writing one might be too much work.

And when I tried testing with Nod it crashed the game. I was trying to play on default Green Acres, not my modified map. *I took out ddraw.dll and then it fixed itself. I'm using the ddraw final version for Red Alert, the one that removes the interlacing.

Umm, CnC-DDraw doesn't remove interlacing, unless you used the experimental versions from the forum here. Which are quite outdated, actually. The website of CnC-DDraw itself is http://hifi.iki.fi/cnc-ddraw/

I attached the picture of the older crash I had too, in case you wanted to see it. But that crash hasn't yet occured with the version I attached.

Nice. It looks like they're 2 different errors; the instruction address is completely different. I'll look into them when I got some time.

Since you said that every AI unit in multiplayer is automatically set to "Hunt," I tested to see what would happen if the reinforcement teams weren't given any commands at all. It seems that they are indeed set to Hunt the moment they enter the map, since they go to the north-western corner and just stay there, even if there is no enemy there. This also explains why multi teams 5 and 6 never show up, because I set them to come from the north and the west and they are already where they "need to be." If the hunt command were fixed then this idea would work fine. On another note, after a while I found myself unable to build units. I thought it was a strange bug until I realized that the maximum amount of units that the game could support on one map had probably been reached, since I couldn't destroy most of the AI units.

Also, is the Hunt command used in RA1 as well? I remember playing many RA1 Skirmish games on A Path Beyond where the AI would set a cluster of units to the north-west corner of the island which would usually just stay there unless it launched an attack, and they would often be the last units remaining after I destroyed the AI's base.

About ddraw, I was using the experimental versions on the forum. It seems to have caused the crash on Green Acres with Nod and Bases off, and also seems to crash RA1 if you try to play online (on XWIS). But since you say that those versions are outdated, the problems may have already been fixed.

For XCC Editor, will support for DSTRY TRIG 'UUUU', DSTRY TRIG 'VVVV' and DSTRY TRIG 'WWWW' eventually be added? Since it's annoying that triggers with those events get deleted after you save with XCC Editor. I also once experienced a strange crash after renaming my triggers to UUUU, VVVV, WWWW, XXXX, YYYY, and ZZZZ, but I fixed that through the .ini file and the crash never happened again, so it was probably just a random occurance.

EDIT: Attached picture of Hunt like behaviour in RA1.

post-8196-1311983585_thumb.png

scm00ea.zip

post-8196-1312050476_thumb.png

Edited by KevinLancaster

I suggest testing with the latest cnc-ddraw from the site. If you encounter the same problems, please tell so I can fix them.

I suggest testing with the latest cnc-ddraw from the site. If you encounter the same problems, please tell so I can fix them.

Just tested it with the latest version. Everything works fine on Tiberian Dawn, but RA95 still has a crash when trying to play over the internet. Though, now that you've made the hi-res launcher for RA+ it seems using ddraw with RA is kind of pointless, though RA+ can't use the official XWIS servers, right? But not that many people are playing RA1 on the official or the CnCNet servers so I guess it doesn't really matter.

post-8196-1312033635_thumb.jpg

Just tested it with the latest version. Everything works fine on Tiberian Dawn, but RA95 still has a crash when trying to play over the internet. Though, now that you've made the hi-res launcher for RA+ it seems using ddraw with RA is kind of pointless, though RA+ can't use the official XWIS servers, right? But not that many people are playing RA1 on the official or the CnCNet servers so I guess it doesn't really matter.

That might be because of the LAN patch, did you have it installed? Also CnCNet works with the Network lobby, not the Internet one.

No I just installed Red Alert 3.03 with the Red Alert Setup Manager off the disk, and put ddraw.dll in the game folder. The game does that crash if you try to use the Internet lobby.

No I just installed Red Alert 3.03 with the Red Alert Setup Manager off the disk, and put ddraw.dll in the game folder. The game does that crash if you try to use the Internet lobby.

So there is no wsock32.dll in the game directory AT ALL? Just checking to be 100% certain the bug is in cnc-ddraw and not in any LAN/CnCNet patch.

(Though I don't give a **** about WOL [CnCNet!!11111oneone] but am still happy to fix it, just had to say it :)

Nope, there's no wsock32.dll.

get the LAN patch DLL here

Edited by pichorra

get the LAN patch DLL here

Yeah, but he was trying to see if the problem was with a lan patch/CnCNet, which it isn't. RA95 with ddraw crashes if you try to use the internet function, but works fine without it.

Yeah, but he was trying to see if the problem was with a lan patch/CnCNet, which it isn't. RA95 with ddraw crashes if you try to use the internet function, but works fine without it.

v3.03 or 1.08? I know that in Westwood Chat, me and Hifi made tests trough it with Ddraw. BTW i can't test it due my RA instalation is wihout any kind of register.

v3.03 or 1.08? I know that in Westwood Chat, me and Hifi made tests trough it with Ddraw. BTW i can't test it due my RA instalation is wihout any kind of register.

v3.03, using the default Internet function that connects to the XWIS servers.

Since you said that every AI unit in multiplayer is automatically set to "Hunt," I tested to see what would happen if the reinforcement teams weren't given any commands at all. It seems that they are indeed set to Hunt the moment they enter the map, since they go to the north-western corner and just stay there

That's not Hunt. Hunt makes them find the first valid target on the map, and go to that to attack it. It's unrelated to the top corner clutter bug in RA, as far as I know.

As for XCC Editor, I can mention it to Olaf, but in the end, he's the one who decides when to release a new version.