I have TFD and I just tried playing RA and when I went to go play I got an error saying rundll32.exe has stopped working (see pic bellow) I have it set to Windows 95 compatibility mode, I messed around with the other options it had but no luck.

I have Windows 7 64bit, AMD Phemon X4 9750 Quad-Core Processor, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1024MB Graphics Card, 8GB RAM, DirectX 11

RA is my 2nd fav C&C game I'd love to play it again.

RAError.jpg

Edited by slayer21

Also, if you have Windows XP SP3, Vista or 7 it's best to use the compatibility mode for Windows 98 instead of 95.

• Downvote 1

Thanks for the suggestions. I ran the game with windows98 compatibility mode and I downloaded/installed the Patch. Unfortunately I am getting the same error.

Really odd. I've never heard of a rundll32 error on C&C games before. I don't think they should use it...

There's one more thing you could try. I heard cnc-ddraw fixes some mysterious crashes in Windows 7.

http://hifi.iki.fi/cnc-ddraw/#download

This makes the game run in windowed mode by default, but you can disable that. All instructions are on the site.

That ddraw seemed to do the trick. The window for it is small, but I can now play again :) Thank you for the help.

Having a new issue. The game will work good for a while but will crash, and for the past few times I've played it's been crashing just a couple minutes into it. Here is a pic of the error.

RAError2.jpg

EDIT:

Well I reinstalled with no issues. But it still crashes on the 6th mission on the Soviet side. I noticed that it only crashes if I destroy too many building. So I left the buildings alone and completed the map with no issues :)

Edited by slayer21

There is a known bug that causes the game to crash in case you destroy any segment of the chain link fence on the upper map border. It looks like one of your tanks just broke through the fence.

slayer21... I specifically told you about the windowed mode, AND how to disable it.

This makes the game run in windowed mode by default, but you can disable that. All instructions are on the site.

:rolleyes:

....the heck? This was a game problem, not a Windows dll problem.

Think this rhmitul guy is a bot.

I'm having this exact same issue. I've got TFD, Windows 7, 64-bit, and I'm trying to run the first Command and Conquer, and it immediately crashes. All I get is that error. Please help, I'm tearing out what little hair I have left.

EDIT: I've installed the unofficial TFD patch, and the problem occurs with or without it. Changing the compatibility mode from 95 to 98 does nothing, but changing it to Windows NT got rid of the error -- the only downside now is that the colors are screwed up, the video's locked in the upper left corner, and the game crashed within seconds of the first mission. Nyerguds' patch resolved some of this, but now, in mid-mission, the map jumps up and to the left, and I can't see anything going on in the off-screen areas. But, at least it's playable.

Edited by RandomManA

Did you get the latest version of C&C95: 1.06c r3 ? In normal circumstances that will not require any compatibility mode because cnc-ddraw takes care of that problem and the colour issues.