Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

The Red Alert Mod for Red Alert 3 Released

Actually, I don't have much of a problem with your posts, its mainly mirza044 and Doctor Destiny's censored out description of how he thinks the units look that I find unhelpful.

You are pathetic. I only agreed with Aircraftkiller, that's all. You have lost this little argument and now trying to hide, to make some excuses.

Edited by mirza044

To be totally blunt with you, I've never seen anyone who disliked the cinematic models that they used to create the in-game SHPs.

I agree.

Proof: in numerous remakes of Tiberian Dawn for various C&C games modders used cinematic models, original concept art or even models of real-life counterparts.

I'm not sure how much of ack's last two posts were directed at me, but I'm not trying to ban criticizing, especially not constructive criticism. I'm just noting that as someone who's now made three big mods, not everyone is going to like everything and indeed, that's one of the things that makes C&C neat. People want different things, and the whole value of modding is that it can create a whole multiplicity of options for players.

But I'm not in any way against feedback, provided people have given the work a fair shake and experienced it pretty fully. In fact, I just PMed someone at moddb because he left us a low rating but didn't leave any comments go with it and I want to hear what he didn't like. Again, there are many players, and the neat thing as far as I'm concerned is that I get to hear from a lot of them about what they thought when they played our work.

I like your mod. If I didn't, I wouldn't care and I wouldn't criticize it.

I only agreed with Aircraftkiller, that's all.

You did a poor job of it, and I was most definitely talking about you. I seriously did not even reread Aircraftkiller's initial post when I was condemning your sordid opinions.

Let me clarify where you went wrong: "Only few units look like they should"

That, specifically, was what I was focusing on when I said, "everyone that thinks units must look a certain way" and "narrow idealism and tunnel vision view of what Red Alert should be."

And after your sarcastic follow-up was when I responded: "There are units (vehicles) with realistic details in this mod? Really?"

Even if that second part was said in jest, it was completely unnecessary.

Guest Rabbit

To whom it may concern,

Not to jump in, but if we're going to debate, let's hold back the personal insults.

Proceed.

While I personally wouldn't have taken this art direction, I have to admit that it works well, a lot better than I initially thought BTW.

I personally welcome this art style. It really reminds me of RA1 with its units that have remappable colours throughout the SHP/3D model. On the other hand, the style in A Path Beyond (I know, it's a different sort of mod, but still), which is based on the cinematics, gives a completely different feeling to the RA1 setting, bringing it to semi-realism which Westwood tried to avoid with the RA series in general.

This reminds me, I must unpack the mod.

EDIT: Watch the Soviet Tech Center buildup animation very closely, it's hilarious!

Actually, I don't have much of a problem with your posts, its mainly mirza044 and Doctor Destiny's censored out description of how he thinks the units look that I find unhelpful.

Don't start jumping on the anti-Fen bandwagon like everyone else. ACK pointed out the exact problems I had with the art direction, which was the use of the SHPs, rather than cinematic models. I've never said anything else about the mod since it plays just fine and that's slightly more important. In either case, I'm just not keen on the direction and the models could use some work. Like... dropping all of that remap. This is 2011, not 1997.

I'm just not keen on the direction and the models could use some work. Like... dropping all of that remap. This is 2011, not 1997.

If that was all you said before, I wouldn't have even mentioned you, but instead you said:

I went and checked some models and to be honest, they look like ****.

I'm really not surprised, of course, I've know you long enough to expect this kind of thing, but that doesn't justify it. If mirza044 had not said anything, I would have ignored your tendency to not hold anything back. So too, if you had said nothing, I would probably have ignored mirza044's comments as well, but both of you making overly critical remarks was annoying.

#1: It's not an offensive topic, just less civil than it could have been.

#2: We moderators and admins are quite capable of figuring out when a topic needs to be closed on our own.

#3: Front page news topics don't generally get closed, just cleaned.

Guest Rabbit

I'm kinda tempted to buy RA3 just so I can weigh in on this.

However, from an outside point of view, looking at the pictures Sonic posted as per PCNC, I will say that I like the look of the units the way they are. They may not look precisely like everyone's wishes, but come on. Look at those screen shots again. Those are both killer teams with a killer group of units.

Based on the few details I have, the only real issue I have is how fat the chinook looks. Is it like that in normal play? DAT ASS.

On the serious though, I'm highly biased in the favorable direction, mainly because I already give points for something that I'm unable to accomplish. I hope that doesn't discredit me.

@General Recon

Please don't post if you don't have anything productive to add or your posts will simply be removed from the news forum. Thanks.

Yeah there are some borderline posts here, that are kind of pushing our forum rules. Please more respectful to our site staff and of course to Blbpaws and his great work on The Red Alert.

All I can say is thank god for our little disclaimer that sits at the top this forum http://forums.cncnz.com/index.php?act=anno...;f=27&id=10 ;)

Guest Stevie_K

I don't like the mod because the look of the buildings and units doesn't fall within my frame of interest. But you went with an art direction and it looks stunning. Good job. :thumbsup:

The intro was sort of lackluster for me. Very dark, difficult to make out details. I appreciate that they were trying to re-create the original RA intro sequence

Yes I agree, I am the guy who made it, that one does look a bit dark thats because of my software with rendering problems, here: I've uploaded this one before I removed all the uncompressed shots:

Sonic if you can, update the old one with this one, so people won't complain that the contrast is too dark.

Which shot do you think the camera movement is off? The demo truck one was done manually I do agree that one was not smooth, but the rest were scripted done smoothly, I am wondering what was the problem?

My PC can't run the game smoothly on high, which is why I forced the playback speed, for better Framerate.

It takes a lot of tries, changing in Worldbuilder then checking it in the game... just to make it similar to the original RA1 intro.

And no you are wrong I did not make them follow any units, infact none of the scripts I used was following a unit, they were running through a spline line, if I did make it follow a unit, the unit would be right in the center taking up all the view.

You should atleast play/try the mod and then write comments, instead of looking at few pics and videos. Unit designs are great, they are just like how they were in RA1, how they looked like in RA1 not how they looked like in the FMVs.

Edited by Sonic

I'm really not surprised, of course, I've know you long enough to expect this kind of thing, but that doesn't justify it. If mirza044 had not said anything, I would have ignored your tendency to not hold anything back. So too, if you had said nothing, I would probably have ignored mirza044's comments as well, but both of you making overly critical remarks was annoying.

Pardon me for having a dissenting opinion. I'll try not to have them anymore since people always get upset when I start speaking my mind.

Sonic if you can, update the old one with this one, so people won't complain that the contrast is too dark.

Updated the original post.

Pardon me for having a dissenting opinion. I'll try not to have them anymore since people always get upset when I start speaking my mind.

It is how you choose to speak your mind that is a problem, not your opinions.

Not that you always have to speak in roses and rainbows, just cut out the overly blunt criticisms and asterisks.

This is the first time I am playing a mod and I love it. It's pretty awesome! :ra:

I like the art direction modeled after the original Red Alert 1. :thumbsup:

So far, I have only tried out the full tech for Allies and I noticed that there are no Ore Silos. Also, there is no C-4 icon when using Tanya to blow up buildings; would be nice to have it. Just thought that I point out some comments.

Lastly, a noob question: Only the skirmish mode can be played right?

This is the first time I am playing a mod and I love it. It's pretty awesome! :ra:

I like the art direction modeled after the original Red Alert 1. :thumbsup:

So far, I have only tried out the full tech for Allies and I noticed that there are no Ore Silos. Also, there is no C-4 icon when using Tanya to blow up buildings; would be nice to have it. Just thought that I point out some comments.

Lastly, a noob question: Only the skirmish mode can be played right?

Because the RA3 use a unlimited ore collect logic, same as RA2

Yeah!

Guest Stevie_K

Red Alert 3's ore depots aren't unlimited as far as I remember?

I'm now hate the breached rule.

Note: Watch on my signature

:huh: That's just dumb if you ask me. But oh well...

Don't like how it looks. -my personal taste.

Red Alert 3's ore depots aren't unlimited as far as I remember?

Yes, it's limited, but the RA3 ore mines are have such a capacity that you don't notice that most of the time. General Recon, in all his "knowledge" of English, possibly wanted to say that you don't need silos to store the money to, comparing it to RA2.

They are in fact unlimited. When they reach 0 you are still able to get resources but at a much slower rate.