kona0197

Yuri's Revenge bug

I am running C+C The First Decade on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I am running the latest 1.04 patch from this site. I have all of the .exe application files set to Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode along with run as Admin on each. I have no issues running Tiberium Sun, Firestorm, Red Alert 2, Generals or Zero Hour. However Yuri's Revenge gives the following error:

26788607.jpg

You have to run YR with Windows 98/ME compatibility for some reason. RA2 works, but YR breaks. I had the same issue and that cleared it right up.

Should I apply the YR 1.002 patch? If so where do I install LaunchBase?

Thank you for your help!

Should I apply the YR 1.002 patch? If so where do I install LaunchBase?

Thank you for your help!

YR UM Patch 1.002 - only if you want to play singleplayer and skirmishes with less bugs

Launchbase - "<your RA2 directory>\LaunchBase" will do.

I tried the Launchbase and YR patch. The game still will not run. It still crashes. Any other ideas?

Can you try to enable the compatibility setting "Disable Desktop Composition" for gamemd.exe?

Whenever I try to change the compatibility settings they revert back to what they were. It only does this on the YR executable file. It tried to start after doing what you suggested once. I tried again and noting happened. any other suggestions?

Nonsense. Yuri's Revenge works (relatively) fine on 64-bit.

Nonsense. Yuri's Revenge works (relatively) fine on 64-bit.

Not on my 64 bit. Out of all of the First Decade programs i can only get Tiberium Sun, Firestorm, Red Alert 2, Generals, and Zero hour to work. Everything else will not work at all.

Silly me, overlooked the fact that you have TFD. Have you downloaded the 1.03 r4 patch? It does have the gamemdx64 ZIP file that you can use and possibly remove all problems.

Yes I am already using that patch. YR still does not work. Nor does a few other games. Perhaps I am installing incorrectly? My order of install is as follows:

Insert CC:TFD disc

Open disc in explorer, change setup compatibility mode Windows XP SP3 with run as admin

Install games after entering all the codes

Change every .exe program file in CC:TFD folder to compatibility mode Windows XP SP3 with run as admin (YR will not stay changed. Reverts back to Win 98 compatibility)

Move patch TFD 103 Rev 4 to CC:TFD directory

Change patch to compatibility mode windows XP SP3 with run as admin

Apply patch

And this last time I went to add/remove options on the TFD menu and reinstalled game so now Tiberium sun works as it did not after patching.

I don't see any .zip files in the patch download. Just an .exe file.

Edited by kona0197

Usually programs do not "revert back to Win 98 compatibility". Is there a program running that possibly changes this? How are you launching YR?

(There's a chance that a system-wide compatibility setting is enabled that will just overrule the changes you make.)

Edited by AlexB

No other programs installed that would alter system settings. Even on a new install of Windows 7 this happens. Even after I remove all the crap trial software.

I'm starting the program from the main launcher on my desktop.

The original launcher resets the compatibility modes. Try to set the correct compatibilty settings and run the game manually by starting gamemd.exe.

I'm using the launcher that is installed after the patch. I've also tried what you suggested. The game still will not start.

Can you describe how the crash is manifesting? Do you reach the main menu? Don't you get past the EA logo video? Does the screen stay black? Or do you see the desktop all the time and suddenly the error box pops up?

What type of graphics card do you use?

If you go to the game's folder, do you see a button named "Compatibility files" in the toolbar? If you do, which files are displayed when you click on it?

Did you install to the default "Program Files (x86)\EA..." folder?

The crash just happens. I don't even get as far as the EA screen. I select YR and almost nothing happens except that popup saying it crashed.

My graphics card is the Intel GMA 4500 Mobile HD card. It can't be changed as this is a notebook and I am running the latest drivers.

No I don't see anything named "compatibility" in the toolbar anywhere when I go into the games folders. I have to right click and select properties to change compatibility modes.

Yes I installed to the default folder.

That's quite hard...

Which DLL files are in the game directory?

Can you try to put Ares in the game's folder and run RunAres.bat as admin? I hope that the crash will create a except.txt file in the debug folder. If it does, it might be easier to find out what's wrong.

I have something strange to report. I went into the launcher and choose add/remove. I uninstalled YR. Reinstalled it today and now they game works. I have no idea what's going on.

Is there a way to determine what's going on?

This would just remove the TFD 1.03 patch from YR, right? Maybe something it changed caused the problem, but I don't really know, because I have no experience with it.

One could compare the game folder's contents with the old contents, if it weren't destroyed while uninstalling. ^_^

Anyhow, have fun playing the game!

run as admin with Windows XP SP2. works every time on windows vista 32\

if that does not work, then try Npatch.

Edited by Galacticruler