Sign in to follow this  
Traymen

Vqa Movies Quality Loss

Hi all!

I have a question about VQA movies convertion.

More precisely - converting those movies to AVI, adding subtitles and converting them back.

One day i was making polonisation of this game and i occured...strange problem. The subtitles were working great but screen was losing quality. Not resolution or such thing - the colours disapeared. It all went black.

As i remember i was using VQAtoAVI utility. On forum of this application i was forwarded to change some options in program - frame rate and etc. I gained few more seconds of normal screen, but after all the screen was losing colours after few more seconds.

So question to those who were making localisation with movies subtitles (if there were any) - how does you handle that?

Thanks,

Traymen

Converting to another format and back usually comes with loss of quality... but the black screen seems weird... See this thread on PPM, might be useful.

Converting to another format and back usually comes with loss of quality... but the black screen seems weird... See this thread on PPM, might be useful.

Hehe there are my questions on this forum - @wunder is me :)

But i see the thread goes on and some thing are more expanded when i was working on it. But if anyone is experienced in this things and can tell me in few simple words how did he done this...i will appreciate.

Make sure all your frames still have one and the same 256-colour palette before converting back to VQA. It's a common mistake. C&C1 type VQA isn't supposed to switch to a different colour palette within the same video (it CAN do it, but only for major scene changes, and only at frame numbers that are multiples of 8). Also make sure you don't change the default blocks and key frame settings.

RAD Video Tools is a good utility to convert an avi or a range of frames you got to a series of pcx frames which all have the same palette.

Wow, didn't know that RAD could do that. Maybe because my version is from 11 years ago :D

Oh yeah. I even made tutorial pics for that :)

This is for conversion from one 4:3 aspect ratio .avi file to C&C format:

Video:

vqa_convert_vid.png

Audio:

vqa_convert_aud.png

OK, but when You convert VQA -> PCX format You recive multiple frame files. As I had read on forum, i need to select just first few files and program will recognize rest of them...yes?

You mean you haven't tried it out yet? Yes, it's that simple. And if you're still tweaking with the audio for some reason, you can even keep the converted raw UGM video file produced by VQA encoder and merge it with a new WAV file later :)

By the way, if you want to make an actual Polish translation pack for the game, check out the patch 1.06 forum section (or just click my signature). Patch 1.06c fully supports language addons. I can even do limited font changes if needed.

You know - it was quite time ago and as i remember, i tried most of things in AVI format. Moreover, my experience in modding was "less than sufficient". Each step forward made 2 steps backwards.

About the polish translation pack - there is a localisation but only for TFD edition. It has much grammar and spelling errors, but have fonts. Moreover I am not sure is there need for next :P

Edited by Traymen

Well, if you got the translation of the briefings and the conquer.eng text, send them my way and I can make a full translation addon pack out of it :)

How did you manage to change the fonts though? I haven't found any working font editor besides an unreleased beta I got through some friends after the original author stopped responding.

Could you please post repost all that in the "Translation stuff" topic in my forum? I don't like to look all over the place for my resources, and my moderation capabilities are limited to my own forum, so I can't move this post to the correct topic -_-

Sure thing - thread may be closed now :)

Nah, closing threads is never a good idea. Someone may want to ask about a related detail of the video making process here later.