Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

TGL Interview with Eric Gooch

A little late reporting this news. About two weeks ago The Gaming Liberty posted an interview Eric Gooch. Originally one of the lead artists at Westwood Studios, but better known to Command & Conquer fans as Seth. You know the "From God, to Kane, to Seth" line, and of course we then see Kane mercilessly blowing Seth away in the memorable cut scene from the classic Command & Conquer. The Gaming Liberty asked Eric about everything from the demise of Westwood to that infamous execution by Kane. Here's a sample.

The Gaming Liberty: Eric -- a HUGE TGL welcome. For those not familiar with your name, or your work, can you tell us a little about how you got into the industry and some of the early games you worked on?

Eric Gooch: Thanks TGL! I got into the industry by answering an online ad. I say “online” even though that was before the internet as we now know it. Back in the day, there were BBS’s, and one of them was Genie. I saw an ad placed by Westwood Studios that said they were looking for an artist. I’d always been an avid gamer, and thought “how cool would it be to work on video games?” I knew the Westwood name from their game “Eye of the Beholder”, and I applied even though I didn’t think I would really get very far. Although I had very little computer graphic experience, they liked my airbrush illustration and decided to give me a chance. The earliest games I worked on before C&C were Lands of Lore and Legend of Kyrandia. I also recall doing some work on the Amiga version of Dune.

The Gaming Liberty: Command & Conquer was a storming success for Westwood. Not only did it help define the RTS genre, but it featured live-action cut scenes which featured talents like yourself and Joe Kucan. Beloved by C&C fans, the sequences go down in gaming history as containing a positive, yet cheesy forumla. Can you tell us a little about the creation of them, how they were received behind the scenes and your opinion on them?

Eric GoochOur first efforts at shooting live video were pretty rough around the edges. We had a rented storeroom near our building, and I set up a green screen background by stapling a big piece of linoleum flooring to the wall and painting it green. Three of us were involved in the video process: Joe Kucan directed the live action, I did the lighting and post effects, and Felix Kupis did video capture and editing. I remember an old Amiga in Felix’s office that had the cover taken off, and had a pencil jammed between a couple of the cards. If you got too close to the system, Felix would yell “DON’T TOUCH THE PENCIL!”, because if you moved it, the system would crash. Heh. One thing we did that was pretty advanced for the time was shooting our footage directly to hard drive. We had removable drive bays at the stage area where we shot, and our main studio building. After a shoot, we would pull the drives and carry them in a padded case to the main building, where we could start editing right away. I thought the videos were fun, and added to the feel of the games, but I also recognize that some people just aren’t into live video in games. I think it just comes down to personal preference.

Check out the full interview right here. It's a great read. Thanks to [NE]Fobby[GEN] for the news tip.

Great interview and great original artwork at his website

B7lIv.jpg

The MW-77 in its stock configuration will ford water obstacles to a depth of 8 meters without preparation, and with the addition of the DW20 Deep-Water Fording Kit, it will handle depths up to 20 meters. The Navy is currently experimenting with prototypes that will be completely submersible for several hours at a time.

When fording, the Assassin retains its full nuclear, biological and chemical protection.

So Anti-Tank, Anti-Air, Anti-Infantry, Anti-Nuclear, Anti-Biological, Anti-Chemical... what more can you want???

Guest Stevie_K

How did I miss this?

His work is awesome!