Sonic

Generals 2 to Set New Bar for Fidelity in the Strategy Genre

Command & Conquer: Generals 2 “will set a new bar for fidelity in the strategy genre”, at least that what executive producer Jon Van Caneghem had to say in a short interview with PC Gamer. Its more of an article than an traditional Q&A interview though. So here's a sample.

It looks as though Red Alert’s increasingly mad direction won’t influence Generals 2. “We are definitely not making a departure from the tone of the original Generals. We think there’s a great opportunity to deliver over-the-top-action, but to keep the intensity high. Generals is grittier than the other series in the franchise and we are fully embracing that,” says Van Canegham.

Van Canegham also mentioned that Bioware toyed with the idea of creating an entirely new C&C spinoff, but decided against it. “In the end we listened to what the community wanted and what a lot of us as C&C fans wanted – a return to Generals! It’s been a long enough wait!”

Click here for the full story.

I wouldn't have minded a totally new universe tbh, but I'm happy with Generals 2.

It looks as though Red Alert’s increasingly mad direction won’t influence Generals 2. “We are definitely not making a departure from the tone of the original Generals. We think there’s a great opportunity to deliver over-the-top-action, but to keep the intensity high. Generals is grittier than the other series in the franchise and we are fully embracing that,” says Van Canegham.

Grittier than Tiberium universe???

Grittier in a sense of realism. The Tiberium universe is probably more darker but with its Sci-Fi feeling it doesn't feel very realistic.

And the marketing machine rumbles into action... :)

Only the first one could reasonably be called realistic.

And the marketing machine rumbles into action... :)

LOL so true, So true!

Setting the bar for fidelity in the RTS genre? Generals 2 will no doubt be fun to play and be a good game overall, but it won't be anywhere near the juggernaut SC2. That did everything right.

Well I'm not going to comment on how successful Generals will or could be. It seems each I make I comment I get **** thrown back at me. Then arguments begin. Its happened with every major C&C game release since C&C3 so I'm not going through it all it again. So from no on you won't see anything from me in terms of direct comments on this game. I shall remain neutral here ;)

I'm just a C&C fan who is happy to see the franchise is continuing and has a future.

I'm just a C&C fan who is happy to see the franchise is continuing and has a future.

Same here. Personally my favorite genres within the C&C franchise is the Tiberian universe and the original Red Alert 1 universe (excluding the clown-looking wackiness as seen in the spinoffs). I guess these universes have kinda ended and concluded one way or another, and its cool for me to see the return of the franchise as a whole by revisiting the GENERALS universe. While Generals wasn't my favorite game, I have to admit that I spent countless hours in the online/multi-player mode in cybercafes and at home back then. It was good, it was fun, crazy times, and I still remembered my peers preferred General Granger (Airforce General) for pumping out crazy beefed up F-22s and start the dozer-hunting at the early phase of the game, and cursing each time how hard it was to eradicate the small pesky workers thats like all over the place.

Anyways I'm all in for the gritter feel and the more realistic feel to the game. Bring it on!