trunkskgb

Problem installing YR

I recently tried installing YR for the first time on Windows 7 and I am getting an error message during the install process. When the progress bar gets to about 66%, it stops and a few minutes later a message pops up underneath where it says "Agent Tanya's report". The message says, "Could not read from file ra2md.mix". In the bottom right hand corner where the "Cancel" button is, a "Resume" button now appears if I want to try installing again from 66%. If click yes, it installs all the way up to 100%, only to give me the error again.

How can I fix this so YR installs properly?

Run the setup.exe from the disc in compatibility mode for Win98. Works on some older games.

Also, check if the disc isn't scratched. That has quite some consequences when installing Tiberian Sun (setup meter above 200%!!)

As said above, it's likely a damaged or dirty disc (or a bad pirated download). Clean your CD properly and dry it with a non-abrasive cloth then attempt again. If that fails, copy the contents from the CD to your hard drive and attempt from there. Should that fail, attempt to clone the disc (sometimes this works) with something like ImgBurn or CloneCD.

OK, I will let you know the results later. Just curious though, why not run the compatibility in Windows 7? lol And, I have ALL the CD's from C&C, could I copy ALL the contents of EACH CD so in the future if my CD's do get some scratches, I would have digital backup files?

I've generated ISOs from most of my C&C discs so I don't need the CDs to play them. It works for installations and I've tested this since that's how I did it with RA2 and YR.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro x64 and I installed Red Alert 2 without doing anything special so I know it works just fine. You need to run it as an admin with XP/98 compatibility to play though.

Problem solved. My CD had a smudge that I missed the first few times upon examining it. I had some glasses cleaner and a cloth, and it installed finally. Don't you hate it when it's something so trivial lol. Thanks again though.

Doctor Destiny, making copies of the CD, I just do the copy command or is there some special process?

You need an application that can make an image of the CD like ImgBurn or CloneCD. Alcohol 120% is fine too, but it's not free like ImgBurn.