AlexB

Looking for Testers

Hi Xazuki,

I'll take a look at the nuke and the other issues, thanks for the report! The scroll wheel feature has been requested already, and I'll try to add it. I haven't looked at the sidebar code to control the radar zoom level (I think I have seen it already, but I didn't really try to understand it yet).

@Terra-jin

Thanks, but most of the hires feature really is hifi's work, not mine :D

New units and buildings will take way more time, because the game has their numbers hardcoded and in some cases the space for variables just fits the number of units currently present. I added a new unit in 2011, which was one of the first things I did, but to make it buildable and supported by the AI, many more steps have to be taken.

@dodgevipergts

Yeah, seeing the wall placement with all walls it connects to would be cool, but at the moment the game only calculates the foundation once. It will require some work to make it update this every time the mouse is moved.

Hi Nyerguds,

thanks for your notes!

Hey AlexB... I've taken a look at your foundation customizing system, and it's kinda hard to use, in my opinion. I've been converting C&C95's hardcoded data to ini format, and I made a system that seems far easier to use. The only big difference is that it uses a separate list for the foundations. It's a visual system, meaning you literally draw the foundations in text.

Taking the repair bay as example, it has a basic '+' shape foundation, and extra refreshed cells in the corners. In your system I would need to sum up all X,Y pairs. In mine, it's just this:

[...]

Its format is borrowed from Ares. The foundation data is indeed not well readable by humans, but it supports negative coordinates and is easily parsable. For creating foundations, I coded a graphical editor that would make generating all required lines quite easy. I haven't released it yet, mostly because of the late addition of Placement cells, which aren't supported yet.

The format is described in the below the Foundations header (quite abstract, though), but I will add some examples and more explanations, and some day the foundation editor itself.

On that note, what is that "PlacementX"? I can't find any indication that anything like that exists. The data for the RA refinery has no such thing; it just has the impassable and refresh grids. Did you create that yourself?

The Placement cells are an Arda addition. The cells added here are required to be free for placing the building, but units can drive on them. You can't place other buildings on them, though. It was needed to remove the bib from the refinery, because its shape would invite players to place buildings on the cell the game requires to be free for harvester unloading.

Another note... why don't you remove the requirement of a videos list from the game? Just use an 8-byte string as storage for video names instead of an ID, and it should work. If it's anything like C&C, the brief, win, lose etc. videos are just saved in one central global variable for each, anyway.

The only problem with removing the use of a videos list is that savegames only save IDs. But if you just save any new savegames with FE as video IDs (I assume FF is reserved for None), and add a new section at the end with the actual filenames, this should be fixed.

When reading savegames, you can then use that FE as indication that that extra part has to be read from the end of the savegame. If it's an older savegame, there's no FE values, it won't try to read the extra piece, and you can just use the original ingame list to look up the actual filenames.

The advantage of this is that missions can be distributed with their own briefing videos, and they'll work fine without needing any additional changes. In C&C1, this works perfectly.

I haven't touched savegames yet. Thinking of a format for such expansions and adding some new global fields to store the movie IDs instead of just one-byte indexes is easy, but my time is limited. There are more features I'd like to do, so I have to prioritize. At the moment, nothing is broken and I have no need to expand the savegames. If changing this would just be a matter of writing five lines of code, ok, but as long as the savegame expansion still has to be done, I won't change it.

On a related note, it would make more sense to put minicampaign info into the actual starting mission ini file, so the mission just has to be added to the list once in order for the entire campaign to work. Your system works, but makes it hard to distribute minicampaigns. The only drawback to this is you have to reread the original mission file after finishing the mission. Which doesn't seem that bad to me.

I'm still planning for some modding support, like supporting multiple missions.ini files in each mix file. I don't want to put map selection click zones, names of the next mission and similar settings to a mission file. I like the TS/RA2 way of having campaign progression information and actual missions separated.

Oh hey, Alexb, could you make the Tesla Tanks in Legacy of Tesla look like this?

It's a remake of the original beta tesla tank made by Westwood, and it's pretty much exactly a transition between the MRJ shape and the final Tesla Tank. I think it'd fit as "prototype Tesla tank". :D

Actually, yes! I knew about this image and I used it for my own tests, but never asked for permission to use that file, so it isn't included in Arda, but you can copy the image file (the MRJ replacement) as TMRJ.SHP into the game folder and add [Hacks] TeslaTank.Image=TMRJ (currently defaulting to TTNK) to Arda.ini. Then the custom image is used :D

Hm, it seems CnC-DDraw's Vhack (to stretch videos to fullscreen) would work perfectly on this, except for 2 details:

• Videos / map screens / score screens shouldn't be centered. Vhack only resizes stuff that's in the upper left corner.
  • The colour used to fill the main menu and briefing scenes should be true black (colour palette index 0C), not transparent black (index 00). Vhack activates when detecting that pixel #641 on the first row is transparent #00 black.

Could you make the centering for 640x400 scenes an option, and make it refresh with colour 0C? Then we can have full-screen videos, map screens and score screens :3

(btw, having true black on index 0C is a general rule obeyed by all RA palettes and PCX files)

This should be possible. I'll just have to undo or make optional several changes from hires, but this will take some time.

I'm still planning for some modding support, like supporting multiple missions.ini files in each mix file. I don't want to put map selection click zones, names of the next mission and similar settings to a mission file. I like the TS/RA2 way of having campaign progression information and actual missions separated.

I dunno... TS and RA2 have practically no addon missions, exactly because they're so hard to actually add them into the game. I mean, compare to C&C1, where all you have to do is drop them in the game folder...

Actually, yes! I knew about this image and I used it for my own tests, but never asked for permission to use that file, so it isn't included in Arda, but you can copy the image file (the MRJ replacement) as TMRJ.SHP into the game folder and add [Hacks] TeslaTank.Image=TMRJ (currently defaulting to TTNK) to Arda.ini. Then the custom image is used :D

The game folder? It reads shp files from the bare game folder? All C&C games have needed those to be in a mixfile :o

This should be possible. I'll just have to undo or make optional several changes from hires, but this will take some time.

That would be amazing :)

Is it possible to use High Res and CnCNet at the sime time, AND have the build-bar use the full height of the screen?

Using only ra95-303-hires-launcher-alpha2 and cncnet, the build-bar is only 4 fields in height, does not use the full height.

Using Arda and cncnet, it won't let me join any games due to incompatible version.

Is there a way to get both highres and full height build bar, while using cncnet?

Hey AlexB, why doesn't Arda run on anything besides original unmodified exe files? The most commonly used pack is kinda nocd'd, you know, and even my 3.03 patch installs a nocd-patched exe when installed on TFD.

Does that also mean it doesn't run on the German and French versions? Because those are also included in my patch, and installed just by changing the language.

@Nyerguds: Most people don't add new missions and so I optimized for speed. Now the New Missions menus don't have to find, open and parse (using a special parser) all mission files just to retrieve their names. It would be possible to extend this by always including all INIs in special mix files like MISSxx.MIX Besides, adding campaigns to RA2 or YR is not easily possible, because the UI only supports three and two campaigns respectively. TS supports a campaign list (as well as YR with Ares 0.2).

To avoid compatibility issues Arda only accepts certain ra95.dat files. If the file contents are changed and the game crashes, it's harder to find out what went wrong if I can't assume everybody is running an unaltered version. It's not that strict at the moment; it checks whether the exe is an English binary with the right size. The CnCNet exes I know about are allowed also, but the latest update might not be. Thus NoCD might work if it doesn't change an instruction Arda uses, in which case the game might crash.

The French and German binaries are not supported, because the addresses of all instructions are all different, so Arda couldn't extend them anyhow. Among other things this is why I added the language support to RA. Now there's no need to support and test three different versions. I'm playing with the thought to distribute the English binary under a different filename.

Btw, I tested the Tesla-MRJ image contained in a mix file only, but I'm rather sure at least RA2 and YR support loose files.

@Gjay: I made Arda incompatible to the original version, because it might do something a little different from the original game, like the Iron Curtain duration might be some frames off, ship repair on the move and many bugs more are fixed, and the extended resolution and the longer sidebar acts like a cheat compared to the original game, giving you quite an edge over players of the original version.

If all players use the same Arda version, the compatibility issue should be gone (at least this is what I tried to code :P). I haven't checked whether there is a new CnCNet binary. If there is, it will not be supported until I update Arda, which might be after the Ares 0.2 preview version is done, maybe next week.

@Nyerguds: Most people don't add new missions and so I optimized for speed. Now the New Missions menus don't have to find, open and parse (using a special parser) all mission files just to retrieve their names. It would be possible to extend this by always including all INIs in special mix files like MISSxx.MIX Besides, adding campaigns to RA2 or YR is not easily possible, because the UI only supports three and two campaigns respectively. TS supports a campaign list (as well as YR with Ares 0.2).

I heard the TS campaigns list is bugged as hell too though, on account of it actually only working for one campaign per side.

To avoid compatibility issues Arda only accepts certain ra95.dat files. If the file contents are changed and the game crashes, it's harder to find out what went wrong if I can't assume everybody is running an unaltered version. It's not that strict at the moment; it checks whether the exe is an English binary with the right size. The CnCNet exes I know about are allowed also, but the latest update might not be. Thus NoCD might work if it doesn't change an instruction Arda uses, in which case the game might crash.

Oh. The RedAlert1.com pack renames the .dat back to .exe and gives it an icon. If you check on size, then I guess the added icon will be the culprit, even if they rename it back to .dat for ARDA.

Me, I'd just check for the version string inside the exe file, by reading 5 bytes at 1F0372 and seeing if it's "3.03"+[00h] :P

Solves all filesize issues, and the French and German versions of the 3.03 exe don't have the string on the same exact position.

The French and German binaries are not supported, because the addresses of all instructions are all different, so Arda couldn't extend them anyhow. Among other things this is why I added the language support to RA. Now there's no need to support and test three different versions. I'm playing with the thought to distribute the English binary under a different filename.

Might be a good idea to actually include the binary in the arda pack, then.

Btw, I tested the Tesla-MRJ image contained in a mix file only, but I'm rather sure at least RA2 and YR support loose files.

C&C1 and RA1 don't. Not for shp files anyway. Audio, pcx files and inis can be read from the game folder, but not shp files.

has there been any releases since the original? I sometimes forget to jump to the first unread post, but if so Arda's homepage might be out of date. Also, shouldn't this thread and the RA p-series thread be moved to the RA command and patch sub forum? especially since they explicitly take up the mantle of Hyper's work?

Yes, several. With the next update I'll put a screenshot on the page and some information on the latest version.

I'm still working on Ares. Hopefully, after the preview version I got some time to work on Arda a little (really depends on how sloppy I worked on Ares).

I cannot answer the forum question, because it's not my decision. I, for one, think it is too early. Still so much things to do.

Whoever will do new update, AlexB or Hyper - i beg you please dont forget about paranoid mode/future! Thank you.

Hey AlexB how far is the progress on Ares and Arda?

When will the next Ares Version approximately be released?

I hope soon :)

Greetings

Hi Bullet,

still no schedule. I hoped it would be around this timeframe, but more and more problems pop up that need to be fixed. Possibly I'll even get out another Arda version before Ares is released.

Greets!

Is it possible to assign different (standard) death types to vehicles at all?

In particular, Ants; I've changed ANT1 to a new Tank, and while it functions perfectly in-game while 'alive', the moment it's destroyed it defaults to the usual animation of a giant ant rolling over and leaking its insides everywhere - along with the screeching sound - instead of the expected vehicle explosion.

I skimmed over the manual, but didn't see anything that looked like it could/would change this.

Hello EchoLocation

you can delete antdie.shp and antdie.aud or exchange them with the graphics and sounds you need and just call them antdie.shp and antdie.aud and put them into expand2.mix

With Arda you can even set the Facings for Ants to 32 like for normal Vehicles with Facings=32 in rules.ini

Then you can make a proper Vehicle out of an Ant :)

I'll see to add a tag so the death anim can be customized properly, but this will take some time. The death sound is defined by the animation, so the AnimType needs to be customizable first.

Hello EchoLocation

you can delete antdie.shp and antdie.aud or exchange them with the graphics and sounds you need and just call them antdie.shp and antdie.aud and put them into expand2.mix

With Arda you can even set the Facings for Ants to 32 like for normal Vehicles with Facings=32 in rules.ini

Then you can make a proper Vehicle out of an Ant :)

Yep, already checked the manual for the 'Facings' option (found it while learning about adding new weapons); I love it, so much better than having some jerky 8-sided vehicle. I was looking for an alternative method to replacing the ANTDIE content, but I guess I can wait. Thanks anyway ;)

I'll see to add a tag so the death anim can be customized properly, but this will take some time. The death sound is defined by the animation, so the AnimType needs to be customizable first.

I see. Thanks again for this project, it's made so many of my decade-old ideas a reality. No rush for new features of course, I have no idea what goes into this!

Huh. In C&C1, DeathAnim is simply a setting for all units.

It's just that I don't have that much time atm, so it will take time to get back to Arda. Implementing this would be trivial.

Would it be possible to force the Skirmish AI to build certain structures after a point?

Currently it's nigh-on impossible to get the bastards to build a Radar Dome, which really limits their already basic ability in almost every game. Attacking them with aircraft (or even using the Spy Plane) will usually provoke them into building a Radar Dome for access to SAM/AA (and then everything after), but until then they tend to just sit around with their thumb up their ass sending wave after wave of basic infantry/vehicles.

Other than ludicrous requests, there's an issue with basing heavy (Tracked) vehicles on Ants; they're incapable of crushing infantry. Tracked=Yes is in the unit definition, but even a lowly Engineer acts as a roadblock.

The AI will only tech-up and build bigger bases intill a Player builds a helipad or airfield... Otherwise they will be stuck having a small size base intill you do build air. Also if you preplace a helipad or airfield in the map with a editor they will already try to tech up.

Other than ludicrous requests, there's an issue with basing heavy (Tracked) vehicles on Ants; they're incapable of crushing infantry. Tracked=Yes is in the unit definition, but even a lowly Engineer acts as a roadblock.

That's odd. The walkers in C&C95 do that perfectly.

My game keeps freezing up, is there anything I can do to prevent that?

That's odd. The walkers in C&C95 do that perfectly.

Yeah... that Rex just loves stepping on my Rocket Soldiers!

It's not something I've missed while redefining the new units either though, I copy/pasted the 2TNK definition and edited only the basic stats and image parameters. Turns out that none of the three Ants in native RA95 could crush infantry either, so I'm guessing it's some hardcoded nonsense for the moment.

Does this happen a few seconds soon after you start a skirmish/mission? This happened to me when just copying the game directory from one location to another without actually installing it properly; I had to reinstall (or repair the directory using TFD) to fix this.

Hi, here's my experience with Arda v0.1 (Revision of this date) .

Like other users, my game crashes after a short interval of time after starting a skirmish game. I've tried to install the game using the original CD version and the 'redalert1.com' version. I've patched the installations with the said patch (nyerguds's 3.03 patch) A friend of mine tried Arda with his 'Last decade version', too. The same story. Arda does work beautifully for that short time before it crashes.

I'm using Windows 7 x64. I have the required 'VC++ 2010 Runtime Libraries'. Using a nVdia 7900gt.

I am open for suggestions. I'll upload the Arda log soon (if there's one). On my notebook right now. :)

Tell me if I should upload my DirectX diagnostic log, too, if needed.

/sad face

Edited by Hippox77

Hi, here's my experience with Arda v0.1 (Revision of this date) .

Like other users, my game crashes after a short interval of time after starting a skirmish game. I've tried to install the game using the original CD version and the 'redalert1.com' version. I've patched the installations with the said patch (nyerguds's 3.03 patch) A friend of mine tried Arda with his 'Last decade version', too. The same story. Arda does work beautifully for that short time before it crashes.

I'm using Windows 7 x64. I have the required 'VC++ 2010 Runtime Libraries'. Using a nVdia 7900gt.

I am open for suggestions. I'll upload the Arda log soon (if there's one). On my notebook right now. :)

Tell me if I should upload my DirectX diagnostic log, too, if needed.

/sad face

Did you try to set affinity to cpu0 ? Else you can just use ddraw, it will set affinity for you :)

http://redalert95.tk/a/ddraw.zip

Did you try to set affinity to cpu0 ? Else you can just use ddraw, it will set affinity for you :)

http://redalert95.tk/a/ddraw.zip

Hi, FunkyFr3sh. You helped me setting up RA1 for online play, although, I was using another nickname back then in that chat. <3

Yeah, affinity was set to 'cpu0' using the 'redalert1.com' build. However, I can disable one of the cores manually from my OS, via 'msconfig.exe'. There might be incompatibility between draw.ini and Arda?

Here's my dxdiag

http://www.fileconvo...15ff2d49b58c7ef

And here's my friends logs from Arda v0.1 (TFD build with the modified 3.03 patch)

Initialized Arda 0.1

Exception handler added successfully.

Logging is enabled, LogLevel 3

Language is ENG (ENG)

Desired resolution is 1280x720

Cameo Sort is set to 0

[DiskSpaceCheck] Available disk space is 178308452352 bytes.

[MixOrder] Found mix file ARDA.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file MAINENG.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file ARDAENG.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file LOCALENG.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file HIRESENG.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file GENEENG.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file WOLAPI.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file EXPAND2.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file EXPAND.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file HIRES1.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file REDALERT.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file LOCAL.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file HIRES.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file NCHIRES.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file ARDASCOR.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file MOVIES2.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file MOVIES1.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file SPEECH.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file SOUNDS.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file RUSSIAN.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file ALLIES.MIX: included.

Could not find theme file AWAIT.AUD for AWAIT.

Could not find theme file 2ND_HAND.AUD for 2ND_HAND.

Could not find theme file ARAZIOD.AUD for ARAZOID.

Could not find theme file BACKSTAB.AUD for BACKSTAB.

Could not find theme file CHAOS2.AUD for CHAOS2.

Could not find theme file SHUT_IT.AUD for SHUT_IT.

Could not find theme file TWINMIX1.AUD for TWINMIX1.

Could not find theme file UNDER3.AUD for UNDER3.

Could not find theme file BOG.AUD for BOG.

Could not find theme file FLOAT_V2.AUD for FLOAT_V2.

Could not find theme file GLOOM.AUD for GLOOM.

Could not find theme file GRNDWIRE.AUD for GRNDWIRE.

Could not find theme file RPT.AUD for RPT.

Could not find theme file SEARCH.AUD for SEARCH.

Could not find theme file TRACTION.AUD for TRACTION.

Could not find theme file WASTELND.AUD for WASTELND.

[Localization] Language specific scenario additions SCM22EA.LNG not found.

[buildingTypeExt::UpdateGraphics] Make anim SBAGMAKE.SHP for building SBAG could not be found.

[buildingTypeExt::UpdateGraphics] Make anim BRIKMAKE.SHP for building BRIK could not be found.

[buildingTypeExt::UpdateGraphics] Make anim FENCMAKE.SHP for building FENC could not be found.

[TechnoTypeExt::UpdateImage] Image V20.TEM for techno V20 could not be found.

[TechnoTypeExt::UpdateImage] Image V21.TEM for techno V21 could not be found.

[TechnoTypeExt::UpdateImage] Image V22.TEM for techno V22 could not be found.

[TechnoTypeExt::UpdateImage] Image V23.TEM for techno V23 could not be found.

[TechnoTypeExt::UpdateImage] Image V24.TEM for techno V24 could not be found.

[TechnoTypeExt::UpdateImage] Image V25.TEM for techno V25 could not be found.

[TechnoTypeExt::UpdateImage] Image V26.TEM for techno V26 could not be found.

[TechnoTypeExt::UpdateImage] Image V27.TEM for techno V27 could not be found.

[TechnoTypeExt::UpdateImage] Image V28.TEM for techno V28 could not be found.

[TechnoTypeExt::UpdateImage] Image V29.TEM for techno V29 could not be found.

[TechnoTypeExt::UpdateImage] Image V30.TEM for techno V30 could not be found.

[TechnoTypeExt::UpdateImage] Image V31.TEM for techno V31 could not be found.

[TechnoTypeExt::UpdateImage] Image V32.TEM for techno V32 could not be found.

[TechnoTypeExt::UpdateImage] Image V33.TEM for techno V33 could not be found.

[TechnoTypeExt::UpdateImage] Image V34.TEM for techno V34 could not be found.

[TechnoTypeExt::UpdateImage] Image V35.TEM for techno V35 could not be found.

[TechnoTypeExt::UpdateImage] Image V36.TEM for techno V36 could not be found.

[TechnoTypeExt::UpdateImage] Image V37.TEM for techno V37 could not be found.

Play theme crap -1 ((null) [No theme]).

****and****

(this log must have made before adding a custom resolution)

Initialized Arda 0.1

Exception handler added successfully.

Logging is enabled, LogLevel 3

Language is English (ENG)

Desired resolution is 640x400

Cameo Sort is set to 0

[DiskSpaceCheck] Available disk space is 178364002304 bytes.

[MixOrder] Found mix file ARDA.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file MAINENG.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file ARDAENG.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file LOCALENG.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file HIRESENG.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file GENEENG.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file WOLAPI.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file EXPAND2.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file EXPAND.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file HIRES1.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file REDALERT.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file LOCAL.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file HIRES.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file NCHIRES.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file ARDASCOR.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file MOVIES2.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file MOVIES1.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file SPEECH.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file SOUNDS.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file RUSSIAN.MIX: included.

[MixOrder] Found mix file ALLIES.MIX: included.

Could not find theme file AWAIT.AUD for AWAIT.

Could not find theme file 2ND_HAND.AUD for 2ND_HAND.

Could not find theme file ARAZIOD.AUD for ARAZOID.

Could not find theme file BACKSTAB.AUD for BACKSTAB.

Could not find theme file CHAOS2.AUD for CHAOS2.

Could not find theme file SHUT_IT.AUD for SHUT_IT.

Could not find theme file TWINMIX1.AUD for TWINMIX1.

Could not find theme file UNDER3.AUD for UNDER3.

Could not find theme file BOG.AUD for BOG.

Could not find theme file FLOAT_V2.AUD for FLOAT_V2.

Could not find theme file GLOOM.AUD for GLOOM.

Could not find theme file GRNDWIRE.AUD for GRNDWIRE.

Could not find theme file RPT.AUD for RPT.

Could not find theme file SEARCH.AUD for SEARCH.

Could not find theme file TRACTION.AUD for TRACTION.

Could not find theme file WASTELND.AUD for WASTELND.

Closing log file on request 111.

Edited by Hippox77