AlexB

Looking for Testers

Has anyone got the ssm launcher with the turret to work properly (like in c&c)? I mean with the ammo count as 3 and the reload time + using a turret. I keep experimenting but no luck.

EchoLocation: Yeah, again, ants are hardcoded not to smoke (which is reasonable and more healhy). Should be an easy addition.

ROB: Without posting what you actually tried I can't give any good advice. Here I posted the codes for the MLRS I used to convert the 1TNK (or 2TNK, don't remember). You have to set Ammo= and Turret=yes also.

If you are using Ammo=3 and the Image=MLRS from C&C, it should work, though when the first rocket is fired the image should not change. This is because the file only contains images for 2, 1 and 0 rockets. If ammo is larget than 2, 2 rockets are shown. If you added a fourth image set with a third rocket, put it before all the other turret frames and set AmmoTurretCount=4.

Note that C&C has a special switch for units that makes the launchers keep their turret aimed forward rather than aiming it to their target until it's actually in range, and even then they seem to prefer turning their entire body rather than just the turret. I kinda doubt RA contains this behaviour. I called it "NoTurretLock" in my units.ini file.

I like how the rocket launchers act in C&C, like you described, better than in RA. I got the MSAM working, and thats exactly what I was looking for to get the MLRS (SSM) to work.

I've been getting all kinds of crashes latley so heres some except logs i've been gethering. These are from crashing when clicking aftermath missions, starting various skrimish maps, random crashes during single player play. There seems to be a pattern of crashing 3 times in a row when clicking aftermath missions, then working the 4th time, note the date modified time on several logs are very close together.

Something big I just noticed. If I save a custom mission I made, being an aftermath mission with units, when I try to load the mission it says to insert disc 1. But it is an aftermath mission and should load off the aftermath disc, same disc I started the mission with. If I do insert disc 1 and try to load, it crashes, some of those logs are in there to, they would be dated 8/17/12. So I can never load any saved progress with aftermath missions, at least my custom missions, dont know about vanilla.

debug.rar

I need help I updated to Arda build 170 and when I play skirmish each side does not have all of their expansion music it seems... Only some of your extra music is present but when I play singleplayer all the music shows up just fine!

Question: Under themes in rules.ini how should I set it if I want both sides to have all music? I know it's missing a lot of entries mostly the expansion music and such.

Sorry for the double post but any news lately? :D

Edit: I fixed that awful bug that caused a lot of tracks to vanish in skirmish mode by entering all there file names in the rules.ini example can be seen here http://nyerguds.arsa....html#add_music

Edited by Chad1233

Hi Chad1233, at the moment I'm working on Ares again. There won't be updates in the next days, but when the new stuff is in the testing phase, I think I'll find some time to work on RA again.

• Upvote 1

That sounds cool as I am very excited for the next release! :D

We are very grateful for you taking your time to bring RA1 over the limits!

Edited by Chad1233

Hello AlexB i have two total new Bugs for Arda Revision 170!

These two new Errors let the Game crash and it can happen anytime:

1. Crash

The instruction at 72a1460f referenced memory at 06698044

The memory could not be read from

Click on OK to terminate the application

2. Crash

The instruction at 00560b67 referenced memory at 00000011

the memory could not be read from

click to terminate the application

For the first Error i have also a Screenshot

post-7262-0-12011800-1351782085_thumb.png

Do you have the except.txt files from the crashes? Without them, the first one makes no sense.

Are you planning to release this project as open-source in the future?

And how do you handle Watcom thiscall, are you using a syringe feature? I tried attaching my own DLL, but the only way I could hook thiscall functions was by written a full on inline assembler function with MSVC's _declspec(naked) attribute. I'm curious how you handle it.

@ AlexB

These Crashes were happening while NoExcept in Arda.ini was set to yes, so there are no Except files or??

I set NoExcept to yes because the Game runs much longer then.

Edited by Bullet

@Iran: I got a bunch of macros that take care of putting the parameters into the right registers and retrieving certain return values. I don't know yet whether I'll make it open source.

@Bullet: Without excepts I can't help. The first crash address is no valid game instruction. The second one lools like tying to call a function on a null pointer. I have yet to look it up what's going on there.

Edited by AlexB

Hello AlexB

First of all, thank you for your work on ARDA. Using ARDA, I've been able to start what I've been wanting to do for a long long looooong time... a real cross-over mod with 4 faction multiplay and single player campaign connecting Red Alert and Tiberium Dawn. Right now it is a work in progress, and I got as far as adding NOD (replaced Ukraine) and GDI (replaced Greece) as playable factions, with Tiberian Dawn units available only to them. ARDA also lets me change the Image= for my scenarios, allowing me to slowly transform RA buildings into TD buildings in my campaign.

The campaign will feature NOD's discovery of Tiberium near the Tiber river in Italy, and the struggle to control the new valuable resource.

It would help my work a lot if you could implement the possibility to add new Vehicles and Buildings to RA using ARDA, and maybe (hopefully) get the game to read 2 mcv/c-yard/war factory types so I can give all sides their respective buildings. Superweapons would also be kick-ass (would love to add the GDI Ion Cannon).

I also have to say that in the 2 weeks I've been working with ARDA, it hasn't crashed once, either in single or multiplayer. Great work!

Thanks again, and I hope you release a new version soon!

P.S. You can check out my Mod on the CnC Comm Center http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=2052.0

Edited by Vlad Razvan

I found it strange you picked Greece for GDI considering Spain used a gold style paint in singleplayer.

I am looking forward to your mod though! ^^

I tried Spain, but am having problems setting Owner= tag. Spain won't work alone as an owner, for some reason, it needs to be in a group i.e. Owner=Spain,Greece. I've seen this before but don't know what is causing it....

Glad you're excited about my mod. You can download and check progress on CnC Comm Center.

Hi Vlad Razvan,

Sounds like an ambitious project. :P

It is very easy to add an unbuildable (preplaced on map) unit or building. It was one of the first things I did. But before I can add new buildable units or buildings (from a new rules.ini list) I need to create the infrastructure that supports them. Many features -- almost everything, actually -- are hardcoded. The Gap Generators use the internal firing timer for gap regeneration, the game only creates gap for [GAP] buildings, radar is hardcoded, SAM and AAGUN firing / target selection is hardcoded, Radar jammers only jam DOME and SAM, ...

Another one of the hardcoded things is the Owner= tag, which gets special treatment, if it isn't set to allies or soviets.

I've seen on CnC Comm Center that certain buildings don't remap. I found the remap settings and I think I can add a new tag quite quickly that would enable this.

Thanks Alex! I also found this little bug in ARDA, while trying to convert one of the fake buildings to an Obelisk of Light. When changing the foundation of the Fake Radar Dome from 6 cells to 1 cell (for the 24x48 obelisk .shp) causes a graphical glitch (clipping and selection bracket bleeding). Weirdly enough, after parking a unit on the passable cell above the tower, the glitch does not manifest. I tried different foundation setups, and different selection bracket sizes, with the same result.

You can see screenshots on my CnC Comm Center thread here: http://cnc-comm.com/...p?topic=2052.30 and an alpha build of the mod is also available.

Here is my code for the building:

; Obelisk of light
[DOMF]
Foundation=1,2
Foundation.Cell0=0,1
Foundation.Update0=0,0
SelectionBracket=24,48
Name=Obelisk of Light
Image=OBEL
Cameo=OBELICON
Prerequisite=powr ;for testing - must be dome
Primary=Laser
Strength=600
Armor=wood
TechLevel=1 ; for testing - must be 8
Sight=8
Owner=Ukraine
Cost=500
Points=50
Power=110 ; for testing - must be -110
Sensors=yes
Powered=true
Crewed=yes
Adjacent=4
BaseNormal=yes

Maybe I'm doing it wrong? Nyerguds told me to report it on this thread..

Thanks again for your work!

P.S. - any new builds of ARDA available? If so can I has a download link for testing and whatnot :rolleyes: ?

Edited by Vlad Razvan

Does anyone else experience videos not being deinterlaced unless the multiplayer score presentation screen or campaign map selection screens have been visited? I noticed that the "Scale and interpolate 2X" function that calls the actual deinterlacing scaling function if scaling mode == 2 is not only called by the VQA playing function, but also by those two screens, but the arguments seem to be the same, other than the GraphicBufferClass and GraphicViewPortClass objects are sometimes different.

Say I start a new campaign, this is what happens:

1. Videos play, not deinterlaced

2. I beat the first mission

3. The map selection screen is shown, deinterlaced (from the code it looks like it does this even without the deinterlacing patch applied)

4. Every next video is deinterlaced even if i quit the campaign and watch other videos, this lasts until the game is exited.

I've tried searching for variables that those two screens might set that also affects the VQA playing function, but no dice so far.The interlaced videos shown before entering those two screens is different from mode 0 and 1 in that they're both interlaced horizontally and vertically, while scale mode 0 does horizontal and scale mode 1 does vertical, this weird interlacing happens even if the deinterlacing patch isn't applied.

Here's a screenshot of the horizontal + vertical interlacing, ignore the colours:

66xkt.png

Edited by Iran

I've done some work on de-hard coding the setting used skirmish and LAN dialogs, what I have now does:

1. Reads every option in the skirmish menu from a [MultiplayerDefaults] section in redalert.ini.

2. Saves a few things across calls to the function for the dialog, e.g. what map is selected.

3. And half these options also apply to the LAN menu, those that are also read from RulesClass that is.

I still need to work on de-hard coding half the other settings from the LAN host game dialog. You can find my current WIP work here, it's still really messy as I haven't cleaned it up yet: https://github.com/I...er_defaults.asm

I just did some testing with audio related code and to fix the "music changes song when alt+tabbing out" bug you need to jump over the two calls starting at 0x005B3491, the code looks like:

AUTO:005B348C mov eax, offset ThemeClass Theme
AUTO:005B3491 call ThemeClass::Suspend(void)
AUTO:005B3496 call Stop_Primary_Sound_Buffer(void)
AUTO:005B349B mov edx, ds:WWMouseClass *WWMouse

The function itself is weird because installing an INT 3 opcode doesn't affect anything, maybe this is something thread related? On the other hand installing the jump changes the behavior of the music when alt+tabbing out. I'm trying to have the game keep playing audio even when alt+tabbed out, from the looks of it even though the game has checks to stop audio when alt+tabbed out, it doesn't set the DirectSound option to enable audio even if the game is focused out, which makes you question why the game has checks for audio in the first place.

Edited by Iran

Iran: RA does some weird stuff with that interlacing code. It sets it to whatever it needs it to be on at the start of certain scenes like the map screen, and just leaves it alone for the rest. In C&C95, in contrast, it's never, ever changed during runtime, allowing me to make it a game config setting.

Yup I saw it in the EXE, the function is referenced during VQA playing, the multiplayer score presentation screen and the map selection screen. Visiting the latter two fixes the interlacing issue, I stilll need to figure out, the latter two are large functions. My suspicion is that the latter two initialize the interpolation table.

Odd though. What could possibly make it not deinterlace horizontally? As far as I know all modes do that automatically as part of their horizontal drawing algorithm.

hi again guys. Got another little bug i'd like to report. This time it's the selection bracket. If you re-size it, or change the unit's .shp to something bigger, it bleeds. The bug mostly occurs on building types. For vehicle types, I just made the selection bracket smaller and it stopped bleeding.

example - TD mtnk.shp applied to ra1's 1tnk caused the selection bracket to bleed. 1tnk.shp is 24x24, mtnk.shp is 48x48. Using standard selection bracket caused bleeding. Using proper 48x48 bracket causes bleeding. Re-seizing the bracket to 46x46 fixed it.

this does NOT work for buildings. The bracket will cause bleeding regardless of size. Here is a screen from my mod where I replaced HBOX with the advanced guard tower.

The health bar and half of the selection bracket persist after deselecting the building.

h8xIU.png?1

Edited by Vlad Razvan