AlexB

Looking for Testers

The Large property for units should stop any bleeds on vehicles.

I made my custom build play the "Mammoth tank getting hit by a Longbow" intro and the deinterlacing issue is fixed, it seems that this movie is uses a different VQA format than the other videos too.

Maybe this is the reason this bug doesn't exist with C&C95? If movies are present it plays the C&C95 intro on every startup and it might also be fixing the issue behind the background.

Okay the issue is caused by my custom build and the ones I've tried removing the 11 mb of VQP files from redalert.mix if the game finds them the issue doesn't occur.

That still doesn't fix the fact that the game doesn't need VQP files at all.

The intro is the only real 640x400 vqa the game has. So yeah, it doesn't use a VQP file.

What do you mean with "doesn't fix the fact that the game doesn't need VQP files at all"? I don't see the problem, really. Without the vqp files, you'll probably have a noticeable lag on palette changes inside a video when it calculates the new Best Nearest Colors table for the new palette. Just leave it. Not as if 11 mb is a lot in these days.

The game crashes on the Credit slide show screen for me (which you can access by holding the shift button and pressing the westwood logo in the main menu). Before a minute is done the game crashes with the credits rolling. Seems to be related to the hires. If you can't reproduce I'll send you a crash/debug logs.

I haven't had that much free time lately. I looked into what would be needed to allow adding new units, but this is rather complex. It's five different systems that decide what the AI builds, with at least two modes each. But this should be the easy part.

I know of a problem with the credits, but I don't know the reason yet. It happens when the first line of text reaches the upper screen border. (Btw, you can click the WW logo without holding down the shift key. That's only needed for the ant missions.)

Even for the ant missions, you just need to tap shift before clicking, not actually hold it :P

AlexB how about you are first looking into the Mousepatch of hifi for cnc-ddraw to make it work actually so that the Mouse does not stutter or disappear when you play with cncdraw rather than adding new units so that the game is actually playable at all?

You can read it on its site that there are still problems with the RA mouse with cnc-ddraw also when you apply his Mouse patch because the Patch isnt perfect so there should be a better one. The Problem is if you play with cnc-ddraw and Hifi´s Mousepatch the Mouse CAN begin to stutter after QUITE a while and will completely disappear after the game when you return to the Main Menu. If you play with cnc-dddraw and without the Mousepatch of Hifi the Mouse cursor can even disappear right in the game and then there is nothing else left for you than to quit the game because the game isnt playable anymore then. So this should be fixed first to make the game playable before adding such crazy things which need so much time. And if you choose to play without cncdraw other problems will begin to popup because cncdraw fixes so many things in C&C! So either you play RA with a damn stupid behaving mouse cursor or your game will randomly crash :D This cant be it! A Patch should first fix all bugs ...

Edited by Bullet

mouse patch should be peanuts... it's just compensating for the correct coordinates of the window rather than assuming it's on position 0,0.

The credits screen crashes because of a cnc-ddraw bug, checking it via OllyDbg it crahes in mscvert memcpy() caled by cnc-ddraw while the game does DD_Linear_Blit() inside EgoClass::Wipe().

If you run the credits screen with cnc-ddraw disabled it doesn't crash.

Edited by Iran

NOP'ing out the CALL at 0x004BC5ED fixes this credits screen crash.

Edited by Iran

In case you're interested in removing the multiplayer AI check whether a Helipad or Airfield exists on the map before teching up, this is the code I'm using to do so:

@HOOK 0x004DAFA4 _AI_Tech_Up_Check

_AI_Tech_Up_Check:
jnz 0x004DB0E4

cmp BYTE [removeaitechupcheck], 1
jz .No_Techup_Check

jmp 0x004DAFAA

.No_Techup_Check:
jmp 0x004DAFB7

Edited by Iran

Thanks for the code snippets. Most likely the credit crash will help, but I already updated the AI to behave a little differently. It's just not released yet.

I was wondering how you tested the "projectile off map" crash issue. I've been meaning to port hifi's implementation of your fix for a few days now but somewhat comically no one seems to be able to create a test map for this (with them testing with stock 3.03).

I created an empty 128x128 map with a bunch of V2RLs and some destroyers on the lower border. The V2RLs were made to leave the map through a teamtype. I don't know whether I still got that map somewhere.

I am hoping to see a release soon by the time before new years come! :D

Edited by Chad1233

Today I've fixed the issue with the AI Paranoid= yes/no setting not working. I've also made it possible to ally with computers again. Two small issues are: 1.) If multiple computers are allied to you they will still fight amongst themselves and 2.) if you and your computer allies eliminate all other players, the game continues (you need to backstab them by declaring war on them.)

Not sure if you've experimented with the AI before. I can give you what I have now in case you don't have it, but I need to test it a bit really.

edit: Oh, one more AI related thing. Chad123 asked me to add having the AI build Nuke Silos and Service Depots and naval yards too (there's an AI build function for vessels that contains at least one vessel type to build). This doesn't seem hard except for one crucial thing, I don't know what internal IDs (numbers) are used for these structures. :/ Do you have any idea?

Edited by Iran

You should try experimenting what makes the game end in multiplayer when you have two or more human allies.

It would be awesome if it was more like YR's skirmish GUI like able to make preset alliances, where you want to start and what side to choose, and who you want the AI to be.

I fixed the bug where the AI would sometimes send tanks to the top left of the map. The bug comes from the function call at 0x004DDA71 sometimes returning 0 in EAX. What I did is add a check for return of 0 in eax and recursively call the function that this function call is part of (the function starts at 0x004DD9FC).

I also figured out how to have the Paradrop superweapon drop other types of units, like V2 Rocket Launchers and Cruisers. I was also able to change the amount of units dropped. With a bit of research it's possible to have the Paradrop super weapon drop teams with differing units, e.g. one Paradrop with Mammoth Tanks and Shock Troopers.

By patching out a call to a function it's possible to make certain super weapons not recharge after using. This can be used to make these superweapons multiple use before recharging, except I don't have a way to check if the building that supplies the superweapon still exists so I can't prevent a superweapon from becoming only one shot or so because the building that supplied the superweapon was destroyed last time before using all the charges of the superweapon.

PM me if you're interested.

Edited by Iran

Iran also added a Function to RA1, so that you can scroll through the sidebar with the mousewheel :)

:thumbsup:

He even added a button (TAB) to switch the sidebar on and off! :thumbsup:

Edited by Bullet

It crashed in ASM_Set_Mouse_Cursor, I was getting similar crashes before and I fixed it with this patch:

@HOOK 0x005D8F79 _ASM_Set_Mouse_Cursor_Mouse_Coords_Check

_ASM_Set_Mouse_Cursor_Mouse_Coords_Check:
CMP DWORD eax, [ScreenWidth]
JG .Exit

CMP DWORD ebx, [ScreenHeight]
JG .Exit

mov     [ebp-4h], eax ; y
mov     [ebp-8h], ebx ; x
jmp 0x005D8F7F

.Exit:
pop     esi
pop     edi