Sign in to follow this  
Nmenth

Cartoon and Conquer #22

Cartoon and Conquer #22:

022-272x300.png

Next on March 2.

A bit too generic, IMO :P

I don't know what you mean by generic... :unsure:

Well, basically you didn't need to have a C&C setting and you didn't need a sense of humour to make this one....

basically you didn't need to have a C&C setting

While I don't disagree, I must question why that is significant in this episode? Cartoons 2, 10, 12, 13, 16, 18, and 21 also don't need a C&C setting. You'll notice most of those are even numbers - the Red Alert universe. When a joke doesn't need a C&C setting, I intentionally put it into the Red Alert universe because it is the more generic universe. Therefore, this strip is not unique in that respect.

you didn't need a sense of humour to make this one

I am not sure how you think this. It is not an elaborate joke, I'll give you that, but could you imagine Zocom7 coming up with this? :P

Essentially, I'm not saying it isn't generic, I'm wondering how it differs from any previous strip... I literally make them all somewhat generic so anyone can start reading them from any point and in any order.

I'm going to go off-topic on that subject now to further define "reading them from any point and in any order". Cartoon and Conquer is not written as other cartoons, in which each event has no influence over any other strip as if each episode is its own world in a multiverse. Every event that happens to these characters actually happens to them and in the order in which I drew them. In other words, I will never write a strip that contradicts the events of a previous strip. This means that I can add subtle story arcs that stretch over many episodes which only a dedicated reader will notice. For instance, this is the same base commander that took nuclear weapons with him on an African hunting safari, which is part of the reason why the flak trooper says "They should probably start restricting his access to the nuclear arsenal", as this was not the first time he was misusing nuclear weapons. This also means that he probably will have his access to nuclear weapons revoked and it might be referenced in a future strip.

Note the above is not a rant, I don't care if you think it is generic, because it is generic.

but could you imagine Zocom7 coming up with this?

For instance, this is the same base commander that took nuclear weapons with him on an African hunting safari, which is part of the reason why the flak trooper says "They should probably start restricting his access to the nuclear arsenal", as this was not the first time he was misusing nuclear weapons. This also means that he probably will have his access to nuclear weapons revoked and it might be referenced in a future strip.

Okay, I didn't notice it was the same as the Demo Truck hunter before you told me, but still, it looks like an attempt to make people laugh on something that's not quite original. #16 was funny because of its unexpected ending, but this one is... emptyish.

Not discouraging you or anything.

Okay, I didn't notice it was the same as the Demo Truck hunter before you told me

Like I said, it's subtle.

The main characters are the same people in every strip, so their commander is the same commander too.