Sign in to follow this  
Plok

TD DOS Demo @ Archive.org

...which is often replaced by EA's random FTP for whatever reason...

Ah, this is from the section at archive.org that is maintained by Swizzle of Demu.org. Recently Swizzle got permission from the archive.org guys to upload his collection, which he hopes to expand even further with the archive.org resource base :)

Sorry, thought the link was the file itself :P

Kinda hard, seeing as the demo is two files ;)

I bought that demo CD for two reasons... seeing what was inside it, and sharing it with the masses. So if other people want to mirror it, they're more than welcome :)

Cool :) I just thought it would be logical for you as the owner of that CD to personally upload it at archive.org (I'm not sure but it seems to require little or nothing registration-wise).

Don't see any options to upload anything.

While looking for an alternate download link for the Hand of Fate preview (at the request of dosgamesarchive.com's admin), I found this neat mirror of Westwood FTP:

http://downloads.silverbulletservers.com/C&C/Westwood_FTP/

It also has downloads of freeware C&C games, as well as other stuff:

http://downloads.silverbulletservers.com/C&C/Freeware/

Someone of you guys behind this, uh? ;)

Not me... I got a mirror on my hard disk (combined with the Generals and Renegade stuff from the EA FTP, and a ton of manual PDFs), but no one has recently asked me to upload it anywhere.

On that note, the C&C1 freeware folder has my full installer for 1.06b r2, and the r1f1 hotfix for 1.06c, but is missing the actual 1.06c patch. Not an ideal combination, since a 1.06c exe file will crash when not finding themes.ini

BTW, I've thought for some reason that Tiberian Sun was also distributed as original CD ISOs when it became freeware, but here's an installer that apparently comes from TFD :huh:

EA released it as a king-size ZIP. CnC-Comm made the installer.

BTW, could you ask the host of the WW FTP mirror to upload RA patch 3.03 and LoL3 patch 1.07?

The released freeware TS is just a zipped TFD folder with an added .reg file to compensate for the lack of installer. It was horribly low effort on EA's part :P

Plokite_Wolf: he said he didn't know who maintained it. It's just a mirror of the old WW FTP.

As far as I can see though, the patch you mention is there...

http://downloads.silverbulletservers.com/C&C/Westwood_FTP/lands3/updates/

[edit]

Heh. The patch is just a bare exe replacement and a .shp file :P

[edit again]

Well, that solves the question of who maintains it... seems they started with a Renegade server, hence the focus towards Westwood downloads.

http://www.silverbulletservers.com/

I contacted them on their IRC about the C&C95 setup problems, but didn't get any reply. We'll see, I guess.

The released freeware TS is just a zipped TFD folder with an added .reg file to compensate for the lack of installer. It was horribly low effort on EA's part :P

The reg file is also limited to make a key for the default TFD directory, so you need to go to C:\Program Files etc., which makes it even worse

I think that's a rather harsh thing say. APOC (at the time) went to a lot effort to get that released. Yeah it could been released in a better way, like an ISO or something. But calling it horrible is a bit mean spirited.

I think that's a rather harsh thing say. APOC (at the time) went to a lot effort to get that released. Yeah it could been released in a better way, like an ISO or something. But calling it horrible is a bit mean spirited.

Oh, it's definitely awesome that they released it, but the technical side, as with TFD itself, was seriously lacking -_-

• Upvote 1

SKYNET :o

Oh yeah. Belgacom's old server. It's existed for ages :3

I've been playing the Orca mission from the demo the other day, and noticed that the civilians are treated as hostile by GDI forces. I don't have the full game's files right now so I can't check, but surely this isn't how it was supposed to be, right?

[Edit] I didn't realize Nyer has all the maps from the full game uploaded here.

Weird enough, the version of the same map from the full game doesn't list Neutral as an ally of GoodGuy... Maybe the friendly state of GDI towards civilians is governed by some hardcoded logic that is absent from the demo?

On the other hand, IIRC there are some Nod missions though where Nod are friendly towards civilians (not the Mao Civil War mission where there are two types of civilian sides, but some CovertOps mission or maybe a console-only mission), and maybe one or two where GDI are occasionally hostile to civilians.

Edited by MrFlibble