Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rabbit

Missions

Guest Rabbit

There will be several classifications of missions in game, depending on their importance level. This is simply a place to organize what the types are, and maybe for people to submit ideas for missions as I reveal more information about the game.
Main Goal

The primary goal of the game is to conquer each city in the map for your respective faction. If you are working with the RDI, you are trying to capture each city in the name of the King. If you are working with the Brotherhood, you are trying to capture each city in the name of Kane.

Mission Categories
Level A missions: These are mandatory missions pertinent to gameplay. They are either instructions from other "actors" in game, or they are self-proclaimed missions made by your character. The game will not continue until these missions are passed.

Level B missions: These are missions that directly contribute to your gameplay. Lets say you need to get through a cave, but you can't see anything because it is too dark. Technically, you could continue the game regardless, but a level B mission might earn you a torch which will significantly improve your gameplay experience and help your character.

Level C missions: These missions are side missions given by random people or pieces of information found around the map. They do not directly contribute to gameplay, but they might earn you new weapons, money, or items. They're simply something else to add to the game.

Does anyone have any suggestions for individual missions or types of missions to add? I want to pack as much diversity in this mission as possible.

Secret missions: Very sporadic in nature, these do not even show up in your quest list. They can only be found by exploring and going places the game doesn't tell you to go. They are most like Level C missions, except that they provide more valuable weapons, money, items or experience for the especially enthousiastic and/or observant player. Quests like these could be like fighting secret mini-bosses or witnessing strange (tiberium related) events.

Guest Rabbit

Definitely a great concept to consider. I'll definitely have to expand the map beyond the standard route if I want to create a lot of these types. And secret missions are usually the most fun, because they come as a surprise.

Guest Rabbit

Updated the main purpose of this game. I decided to make it a capture-style game, a la Command & Conquer. You will capture each city on the map as you progress through the game.

Additionally, there will be a retaliation system, of sorts. From time to time, your captured cities may come under attack, requiring you to defend them or lose them.

Some cities will be held by enemy forces (example: You are Nod trying to capture an RDI city), and in other cases, the cities will be held by mutants, tiberium creatures, civilians, etc. I'm not yet sure how many cities there will be in total.

Guest Stevie_K

Sounds interesting. Keep it up :)

Guest Rabbit

I've updated the mission system. In game, you will have something along the lines of a "quest journal" which will show the objectives that are active. There will be several kinds of missions and accomplishments needed to complete the game.

1. Storming the castle - This will be the main goal of the game. You need to capture all strongholds and castles belonging to the enemy. In some cases, you will need certain tools or weapons to accomplish this task, so it can not be completed without some of the other mission opportunities.

2. NPC missions - Characters who meet throughout the game will give you missions that you need to accomplish. Eva, for instance, might know about a group of Nod meeting up who will tell you where the castle is. A scientist might tell you to gather tiberium for his research.

3. Intel missions - Missions that you come up with based on your own discoveries or intentions. You might find a hidden map somewhere that leads to treasure, enemy troop movements, or something else.

4. Collection missions - Certain weapons / tools will not be available until you collect enough of a resource for them. For instance, certain scrap metal (which we'll call ore for the time being) will be needed for a blacksmith to reward you with particular weapons.

All these different categories should keep things fresh and interesting and hopefully allow for the player to explore the game without being too linear.