Sign in to follow this  
Minty Fresh Death

Adding new sounds to Tiberian Dawn

Hey there, new guy here, wandered if anyone could help with a query of mine.

Recently, I've managed to convert a load of the unit speech from C&C3 and Kane's Wrath into aud format with the intention of using them as replacements to the unit speech in older C&C games, similar to what the guys who are making the Twisted Insurrection mod have done but with more focus on strictly C&C3 voices. I've tested my work in both Tiberian Sun and Firestorm and successfully implemented it for those games, but I was wondering if it was possible to do the same with Tiberian Dawn. I know most of the functions of the game are hardcoded to the exe file but if anyone's found any workarounds that would allow me to add new sounds to the mixture I'd love to hear about them. In case you're wondering what version I intended to make this work on, that would be the 1.06c edition that Nyerguds released yesterday.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you guys can give.

Hmm... actually adding new ones is impossible at the moment (though I'm working on that), but replacing them isn't too hard.

If you have the .aud files for TS, then those should work perfectly on TD too, and all that remains is to get the filenames right. Which you can easily get by opening talkeng.ini in xcc mixer.

if you want more in-depth information, you're in luck though, I just spent time digging through the code and documenting all that for a HTML5/Javascript implementation of C&C that adityars is developing (see the Tiberian Dawn weapons thread in this forum).

This post should have all information you need:

http://forums.cncnz.com/topic/13364-tiberian-dawn-weapons/page__view__findpost__p__202527

As for implementing it, you can do that with the mod system provided in v1.06c. It's documented in the readme document of the patch.

Why would you add them as new ones? The actual usage of the voices is still hardcoded anyway. Adding them as new ones would just mean they'd never be used by the game.

I was just hoping to get a bit more variety in the "unit reporting" vocals, that's all. Give all the different vehicles and infantry unique responses instead of all of them using the same two voices.

There are only 4 voice sets anyway; 2 for vehicles and 2 for infantry. I can't change that. And it'd be odd to add new completely different voices to an existing voice set.

Well, technically, everything in C&C95 is hardcoded... I'm beginning to change that. Now it's just a matter of seeing how far I get :)

sounds very good nyerguds and as usual I wish you best of luck in succeeding. One of the features I would like to see is to enhance the gameplay aspect itself. Giving mappers more possibilities like Paratroopers & parabombs of red alert 1 etc. Also it would be awesome to get sea forces. Basically just adding extra code lines without ruining the compatibility to older missions or the original code. Now I'm not sure if that's even possible but by now you have broken so many of the former hard coded things even added own codings into the game if somebody can do it then you and if you can't then it must be impossible period. :)

Water units are perfectly possible, and simply Unit type. Their movement type is a unit option, and waterbound is one of these options. There are no controllable water units in the game, but it's perfectly possible to make them.

Adding superweapon logics from RA is far more trouble than it's worth though. Not gonna go there.

How sad but yap it sounds reasonable not to go there if it's more trouble than useable. But anyway I wasn't necessarily thinking that it has to be a super weapon controlled by the player. Just imagine the scripted possibility in Singleplayer missions to do it. Sending a bunch of Chinooks unloading tanks while some planes drop by a bit further ahead dropping paratroopers.

Code and voxels could be probably ported. Never the less you're the C&C master what you decide is law. :D

Edited by 23-down

You're wrong. Code can NOT just be ported between games. And C&C1 and RA1 don't use voxels.