Sign in to follow this  
Luk3us

Motion gaming is dead

Recent poor showings of motion-based games and some outright cancellations have made me realize that the motion gaming "revolution" was nothing more than a fad. And it’s over.

As a games journalist I try to keep an open mind as much as possible. Even when the writing seems to be on the wall regarding a game, system, or company, I always try to adopt the glass half full mentality. I feel like I have been doing this with motion gaming for the past six years now, and I’m done with it.

First there was the Wii–a console with a strange name and an even more outlandish play style. Once the launch window came and went people eventually realized that the accelerometers inside the controllers were essentially binary switches that really only replaced a couple buttons. The “waggling,” as it was called, was just a ruse. Then Nintendo did something that almost never succeeds. It split the user base with MotionPlus.

Sure, it finally represented one-to-one control that everyone thought they were getting with the original remote, but Nintendo refused to force developers to implement it. So, here we are several years later, and there’s still only a handful of Wii games that truly make use of it. The best examples of the technology tanked. EA’s Grand Slam Tennis, and even the usually reliable Zelda franchise, both underperformed expectations at retail. Nintendo’s response to its most successful console ever? Ditch the motion controls in favor of two screens. Sure, the Wii U will still make use of MotionPlus, but if developers aren’t working with it now, why would they in the future?

More at:

http://www.gametrail...gaming-is-dead/

Yaaa. :D

I always thought the motion controllers were stupid. When I played any Wii games, I'd just flick the controller to make stuff happen rather than swing it about madly like a maniac.

The Kinect and Move were even worse.

I like my Wii and all, but motion controls are still gimmicky. I hope Nintendo goes back to controllers.

Guest Stevie_K

Concentration is required for me to enjoy a game. I find that very hard when I stand in front of a screen making silly gestures.

If motion gaming is dead, I wont be there at the funeral. :)

Kinda done with articles about type x gaming is dead.

Well I never owned anything like this, not in a long time.

With the motion gaming dead, that's an automatic epic fail for Nintendo, as they need to create a new console without the use of motion controls. The only recent element Nintendo had tried and succeeded was the 3D effect out from the screen.

But what about wireless and/or touchscreen games, like the ones on the iPad and other tablets?

Edited by zocom7

Guest Stevie_K

With the motion gaming dead, that's an automatic epic fail for Nintendo, as they need to create a new console without the use of motion controls.

What makes you think they will fail at that? In fact I think that will be their only option for future success.

With the motion gaming dead, that's an automatic epic fail for Nintendo, as they need to create a new console without the use of motion controls. The only recent element Nintendo had tried and succeeded was the 3D effect out from the screen.

Do you even own a Wii? They have controllers for it and the GC controllers work for it too.

Kinda done with articles about type x gaming is dead.

But this is different because it involves something I care nothing about. :P

Sure, the Wii U will still make use of MotionPlus, but if developers aren’t working with it now, why would they in the future?

Perhaps because the Motion Plus was said to be the main controller for the Wii U past the tablet device. Games journalism is so damned shortsighted it pains me; what, does he expect none of the future WIi U shooters to use the remote any further? How can you say something so mindblowingly stupid? Developers also aren't working with the Wii internet services right now, but any idiot can expect to see expanded internet-enabled services on the next console.

Remember that games journalists have been declaring the Wii and Nintendo dead for years, but they keep outselling everybody else.

I always thought the motion controllers were stupid. When I played any Wii games, I'd just flick the controller to make stuff happen rather than swing it about madly like a maniac.

The Kinect and Move were even worse.

Right. You can just flick the controller, you act like the goal is to swing like a maniac. The controls work perfectly for a shooter like Goldeneye or Metroid Prime, they add a little extra something to the Mario Galaxy and Mario Bros. Wii games, the obvious Wii Sports titles, and they do work fine for a swordplay game like Zelda or Red Steel 2.

However, there's a new mecha game coming out for the Kinect that looks like it'll use the technology to simulate you reaching for controls within the machine, that might be interesting as an alternative to the large expensive controllers that they've used in Steel Battalion before. It might bode well for a future Ace Combat, allowing a virtual cockpit without the need for physical components.

You can just flick the controller, you act like the goal is to swing like a maniac.

That is how it is presented in commecials; people standing and swinging around like maniacs, and I've seen people replicate this in the real world. They wanted you to swing the thing like a sword for Zelda, but a quick flick of the wrist that never moved the controller more than its own width worked just as well.

I have to admit, for boss fights and the bamboo game, often I'll stand up. For Red Steel 2 I actually get up, too, and the same for Wii Bowling. Controlled motion is vastly preferred to flailing wildly though.

Guest Stevie_K

56 of 100 is more like a nail in it's coffin if you ask me ^^

Sounds like it was just a bad game, a storyless piece of crap with a dancing minigame for no reason.