Sonic

EA Says Warhammer-Looking Tanks Won't Show Up in Tiberium Alliances

It's funny how fast things happen once the news gets rolling around the C&C Community, and especially when the news of EA being accused of plagiarism over the designs for some of the Forgotten faction's units in Tiberium Alliances eventually popped up on sites like Kotaku. About 24 hours later, EA have been caught with their hands in the cookie jar, so to speak, so an EA representative told Kotaku that the conflicting unit designs will not be seen in Tiberium Alliances and that the issue has been resolved.

ZFePp.png

"Games Workshop and EA are aware of the IP issues around the artwork in question, which have now been resolved," an EA representative told Kotaku. "The artwork was internal EA concept art that was unintentionally released publicly. No Warhammer 40,000 tanks have ever made an appearance in Command and Conquer Tiberium Alliances, and never will. Games Workshop and EA continue to have a strong relationship working together on Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning and the new free to play game Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes which just entered open beta."

Click here for the full story on Kotaku. So I guess it's case closed, then.

I'm sorry, but those both look exactly the same as the Warhammer ones. EA ****ed up.

I'm sorry, but Warhammer tanks resemble real tanks which are copyright to General Dynamics, BAE Land Systems, Lockheed Martin, et al. Games Workshop ****ed up.

The tanks don't just resemble the WH40k models, they are about 95% direct copies. This goes so far as having hatches, sights and armor plating subdivision match. Contrast this to the WH40k tanks being moronic from a tank engineering standpoint.

Guest Stevie_K

I come to think why these concept art rip offs where made in the first place. Inspiration phase of development perhaps? If so, I find it interesting that they have been inspired by WH40k designs for a game like TA.

Nonetheless EA could and should have pointed this mistake out before the community (or Kotaku.com).

Speaking of the likeness of actual hardware, Electronic Arts actually was sued for the use of real-world military equipment in Battlefield 3. Read up on it here. This has happened in the past but it's always been settled out of court; this time talks broke down. It will be interesting to see how it goes.