thenuttygamer

Something wrong with C&C 106c revision 3 update

Hi all, I hope you can help me with this problem,

This enquiry is addressed more specifically to Nyerguds since he created the unofficial patch.

This is it: i have C&C the first decade in English with all patches installed including the 1.06c patch for c&c 1. Last year, I installed this 1.06c unofficial patch revision 1+the hotfix 1 which worked out fine. This weekend I installed the 1.06c revision 3 patch (without installing the revision 2 patch) and now the game asks me to insert the CD (i guess it wants the first decade disc) but the goal of some of the unofficial patches is that you don't have to use the disc at all. What can I do to make this revision 3 of the patch work fine ? Do I install the full installer ?

Thanks,

thenuttygamer.

Go to your C&C 95 directory and open Conquer.ini.

Check if you have this entry exactly as it is here, and change it if need be:

; No-CD system
[CDControl]
NoCD=Yes		   ; change to "1" to enable No-CD mode
; folder to use as CD in No-CD mode:
CDPath=.
LangPath=0		 ; use 3-letter language code as CD subdir instead of CDPath

thanks for the info,

but what does "use 3-letter language code as CD subdir instead of CDPath" mean ?

I understand what to do to change the cd value but I have no clue what the 3 letter language code is, could somebody help me with that please?

thenuttygamer.

It's probably a workaround for the CD check.

But I'm not sure, to be honest, but there's no harm in trying. My 1.06c rev 1 install has that by default.

The game config tool (CCConfig.exe) contains all of these options, with explanations that are generally more clear than those brief comments in the ini file. There's no real need to go rummaging through the ini files.

glKZo.png

As for the LangPath thing... it's the third radio button choice on the NoCD options there. The "3 letter language code" is what you need to fill in on the "Language=" line in the ini to set the game language. You can see them in the dropdown menu of the CCConfig tool. LangPath is a special option for support of video packs in multiple languages. When you have the game language set to English, it will use the subfolder "eng" of your game folder as CD. Switching the game to French will make it use the folder "fre" instead. Since the game in nocd mode always uses files in the actual game folder first anyway, this allows having a full no-cd install with additional video packs for all different languages installed, simply by putting these videos in the corresponding language subfolders. I haven't released these packs yet, but I'm working on them.

By the way, the patch has its own forum here on cncnz... it would make more sense to post issues like that in there.

Anyway, I've looked into the installer, and I really don't understand how it could possibly disable nocd mode on a TFD install that had a previous 1.06c version on it. Even if your game would not be identified as TFD (through the registry entries), it should copy your old ini settings, which already had nocd mode enabled. And in that case, NoCD should've appeared at the bottom of the installer options, which would be checked by default if the option was enabled in the old ini.

[edit]

Hm, there does seem to be one error in that code; it enables the NoCD checkbox option in the installer when it finds the NoCD option in the old conquer.ini, rather than when the option is actually enabled. But that could only cause the opposite problem... and this code is skipped altogether when it's on TFD.

I do remember that when I installed the revision 3 patch the nocd option did not appear in the installer options the only thing I got was to set the language and default resolution which I did not touch at all.

Anyway something is wrong I will get to it when I have time to look at this problem and post back if nothing changes.

Thenuttygamer.

Yes, as I said, the option should not appear when you install on TFD, because it shouldn't be disabled there. So if the option does not appear, the installer always enables it on install.

Hello everybody,

the more I look into this problem the more it seems that it isn't a 1.06c revision 3 problem. I tried to reinstall previous patches and it still asks me to insert a c&c disc even when older Nyerguds patches are reinstalled. I looked into the .ini file and everything seems to be ok and changes in the new CConfig tool seem to function. Even when I insert the TFD disc the game doesn't recognise it as a c&c disc. On the other hand, when I click on an icon I created originally to play the Funpark missions (theoretically corrected by Nyerguds in the 1.06c revision 1 patch that way you don't need to create a special icon to play the missions) the game works perfectively and the revision patch number is listed on the bottom of the screen as 1.06c revision 3. The odd thing is that all other C&C games from the TFD work just as normal. Why does the normal executable for C&C 1 ask me to insert a disc when the Funpark special shortcut I created two years before works just fine ?

I hope somebody can answer that question because it doesn't make any sense.

Thenuttygamer.

What Windows version are you on? Because this is starting to look like an ownership issue. Check if you are owner of the game folder and all of its files, and have full read and write permissions for them.

Also, are you running the actual executable from the game folder itself, or going through a launcher or desktop shortcut?

hello everybody,

To answer your first question nyerguds I will have to go on my computer to see if I have any read and write permissions but I think there shouldn't be any problem but I will check anyways.

To answer your second question, I run the game through the TFD launcher icon (the picture was modified by the unofficial TFD patch to resemble an X ) on my desktop,which is what I do for all TFD games but as I said, only C&C 1 seems to have a problem. To make the game work recently , I go through the "Funpark missions" icon which is a desktop shortcut I made from the original executable in the game folder itself and modified to read only the hidden dinosaur missions but now it seems to run the entire game with the funpark missions and cinematics like as if nothing is unusual.

With the weekend coming I will investigate the R+W permissions in the game folder but why should there be a problem since I never touched the folder's properties ?

Thenuttygamer.

And to anwer another question I use Windows Vista 32 bit family edition on a portable pc which obviously can run all older C&C games considering their age.

Edited by thenuttygamer

Hmm... I'm going to look into how the tfd menu could be failing. I know I made it disable the nocd parameter built into the TFD menu, because the game handles it now. But I don't see how it could be asking for a CD, unless it doesn't find its settings somehow. But in that case it shouldn't even start...

I may be off topic, but for what it's worth, I had a similar problem with Red Alert 3.03. The game kept asking for the CD, even with your patch, I even tried another, RA+, without success. In the end I just gave up and used a virtual drive. I'm using Win7, and it was not TFD, but from the looks of it, the cause whatever it is could be the same.

Um, the RA 3.03 patch simply isn't nocd...

My C&C95 patch contains everything needed to actually run the game without CD. RA doesn't, though, and there's no easy way to check if the requirements are met (because of mixfiles inside mixfiles). Because of that, the patch installer I made only installs a nocd exe when it detects TFD.

hello everybody,

I did some investigation this morning and found some interesting things :

- If I try to run the original executable either from the game folder or the TFD launcher it asks me to insert a CD. I tried to select the "run game as administrator" option from the right click compatibility tab but it didn't change anything. On the other hand, as soon as I right clicked the executable icon from the game folder and selected "run game as administrator" the windows UAC starts I select yes and the game starts normally the only thing is that the main menu is pushed forward and you can't really see the "start new mission" selection to start other missions such as the funpark or N64 exclusive mission on the other hand if I start the game from the funpark shortcut I created the main menu is fully visible.

I also looked and saw that I have admin rights so something is wrong with the main exec but I can't tell what.

Hope this helps you with my info in solving this problem.

Thenuttygamer.

yeeah, I don't have a clue. This is looking more bizarre every minute. "pushed forward"? You mean as in, part of your screen isn't visible? Are you on a laptop or something?

As for that funpark shortcut... what exactly does it execute, when you look at its properties?

I don't know if this helps but I'm running CnC95 in a W7 64.

After I've launch the game, if I ALT+TAB to another program, when it comes back it won't cover the whole screen. And every time you ALT+TAB, the CnC screen goes more and more to the right up to a point that you can't see the menu anymore (and obviously can't play the game).

I've considered this a Windows problem, not a CnC problem and haven't gave any importance to it once I can play the game. I'm commenting this related to the "pushed forward" effect described above.

Edited by Solo

Well you can always just play windowed to fix that.

Solo : It is probably an VideoCard issue. I've already ran C&C with ddraw under windows 7 and haven't got any issues.

Kamikave: Hifi already told that there are 9999999999999999x10²²²²²²²²²²²² discs checks in the v3.03 game. finding and removing all of those will be hard.

Maybe we are under another permission issue under Windows 7?

Thenuttygamer: Use Windows Search to find all Conquer.ini in your computer and post the result here, please :)

Kamikave: Hifi already told that there are 9999999999999999x10²²²²²²²²²²²² discs checks in the v3.03 game. finding and removing all of those will be hard.

He did ? I don't even remember when or where I posted about this issue, it was quite some time ago lol Your memory is better than mine ^^'

Ehh, I nocd-cracked 3.03. As I said though, the patch only gives the cracked version when installing on TFD :P

Hello everybody,

Sorry for being late in answering I had some work to do, anyways to answer Nyerguds earlier question I do play C&C on a laptop 17" screen and I did notice that the game plays in admin mode with a cut menu screen meaning that the top part of it doesn't appear visually , now I did try to play the game in windowed mode it plays great the problem is that the window is really tiny is there any way to make it bigger ?

Also I am giving the exact shortcut of my funpark icon : "C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command & Conquer The First Decade\Command & Conquer\c&c95.exe" -cdcovert funpark -cd as you can see the only difference is the addition of the command at the end to read the secret missions at the time now it isn't necessary anymore.

To answer Solo the ctrl+alt command doesn't change a thing in full screen the menu is still just as cut.

The only thing I see is that for some reason something changed and that is why I have to run as admin to make sure it doesn't ask for a CD. I can't really use the launcher much anymore I could still create an icon from the executable on the desktop but that kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it ?

Unless it is necessary I don't think that I need to send in the conquer.ini so I'll just wait and see.

Thenuttygamer.

"-cdcovert funpark -cd"

What? :|

Two different -cd parameters seem a bit redundant, and the last one, without any destination behind it, is completely useless and will be ignored by the game. You can probably replace all of that by simply "-cd." Funpark isn't even relevant anymore; you're much better off starting without it. In fact, I'm disabling the entire mode in the next patch.

As for the launcher, did you try just running the launcher itself as admin? That may solve the problem.

To answer Solo the ctrl+alt command doesn't change a thing in full screen the menu is still just as cut.

you mean ALT+TAB ...

hi everybody,

I am answering back to this issue, hoping it is for the last time.

As Nyerguds suggested, I started the TFD launcher in admin mode, by right clicking the icon and selecting execute as admin and the game works as a charm. For the menu problem it seems to have been solved as I deactivated in the CConfig tool the advanced parameters and selected another resolution and everything appears as normal on screen, but now everything is too small (but this is not even an issue since I can go to a lower resolution).

The only annoying thing about using the TFD launcher in admin mode is that it only works for C&C 95, because if I use it for example on red alert 95 the game works but says that don't have any saved game, but if I run RA without admin mode the game works normally and recognizes that I have a saved file for that game.

Thenuttygamer.

So maybe just put 'Admin mode" on C&C95.exe?

Edited by Traymen