Sign in to follow this  
EchoLocation

SHP dimensions limit?

Hi.

I'm messing around with replacement SHP's for various mini-projects (while I try to understand exactly what I can change about RA before it explodes in my face), and on replacing the default 1TNK with the MTNK from Tiberian Dawn (palette converted and SHP renamed, etc), I got all this crap trailing behind it:

1tnkshptrails.png

What exactly is causing this to happen? I'm guessing it's because the MTNK SHP is bigger than the standard 1TNK SHP, but is it a hardcoded problem? Or is there a way around it? (Preferably one that doesn't involve manually editing every frame in the SHP.)

Edited by EchoLocation

you used purple palette?

Erm:

palette converted and SHP renamed, etc

Yes. It's not a palette conversion error, I've replaced the Heavy Tank with another custom SHP and this doesn't happen.

well could be that you just converted it from td with the default palette and later converted it to ra with the default ra palette :P you didnt wrote which one you used hehe

This is just because the game only refreshes enough space around the unit for its original SHP dimension. Internally, there's a unit option you can enable (on C&C95 and in arda, anyway) that forces it to refresh 64x64, but I don't think RA1 has it without arda.

I enabled it on all C&C95 units in my patch, just for convenience.

Nyerguds is right. Westwood needed this to earn their "Runs on 75MHz" badge. Large units could cover up to 4 times 16/9 times the number of cells the others could cover.

edit: Non-large refresh area should be 48x48 pixels, which can cover up to 9 cells, not 4.

Edited by AlexB

I see, great stuff - I use Arda by default now anyway because RA95 just loves to suddenly and randomly crash on anything newer than XP.

How would I enable this unit option?

For now Large=yes on UnitTypes like [1TNK]. For the future it might be enabled by default.