Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Why Renegade X Should Be On Steam

Here's an interesting thread on the Renegade X Forums. Someone has suggested that making Renegade X available on Steam would be a beneficial move for the development team and the eager fans. The Renegade X development team has discussed Steam in the past, but nothing further than that. Anyway, have a read of this post and decide for yourself.

rqjWQ.png

Why Renegade X should go on Steam

1. Mirrors

Black Dawn had slow and few mirrors making it hard for everyone to download and play it. Having Renegade X on Steam will mean fast downloads. And as bonus you can't have a pre install period so everyone can have it already installed the second they can play it.

2. Simple Install

Many people found black dawn hard to install having it on Steam will mean the computer will install it for you.

3. VAC

Because Renegade X is a multiplayer game you need to consider an anti cheat engine, VAC not only works but is supported for the unreal engine

4. Numbers

There is about 4 million users on Steam and anyone loves something free, this will quickly spread the game.

5. Come on

The community wants this game to be on Steam so please send a submission form to Valve.

Click here for the original post on the Renegade X Forums.

Steam won't take Renegade X unless policy has changed, we've already had fans check sometime last year on behalf of Renegade X and APB as well.

Not only that, a bigger deal is that unless EA's policy has changed, they also don't want C&C standalones going on Steam or Desura because of a conflict of interest with their Origin platform-- and the fact that, even if it seems tangential and petty, they see that Valve is running a for-profit service that pushes advertising and thusly EA legal doesn't want it also pushing their IP for free at the same time that Valve benefits. Especially at a time when EA is pulling their own content off Steam, negotiating to get any fan projects up there has a bleak outlook, I'm afraid. We're still sitting in the aftermath of negotiations with the big boys breaking down and both BF3 and ME3 failing to launch on Steam.

Would it be great to see Renegade X on Steam? Absolutely. Would it be a benefit to fans and developers? Damn right. Are there substantial legal roadblocks in the way? Unfortunately, many, and they aren't going to be resolved soon or through fan action.

• Downvote 1

Not only that, a bigger deal is that unless EA's policy has changed, they also don't want C&C standalones going on Steam or Desura because of a conflict of interest with their Origin platform-- and the fact that, even if it seems tangential and petty, they see that Valve is running a for-profit service that pushes advertising and thusly EA legal doesn't want it also pushing their IP for free at the same time that Valve benefits. Especially at a time when EA is pulling their own content off Steam, negotiating to get any fan projects up there has a bleak outlook, I'm afraid.

Then how come I still see C&C games on Steam?

Also, I highly doubt most of BioWare Victory team members even played Renegade.

• Downvote 1

According to Wikipedia, there are 40 million users on Steam, not 4 million...

Then how come I still see C&C games on Steam?

Also, I highly doubt most of BioWare Victory team members even played Renegade.

I guess because they were already entrenched for years and making money. Not everything was pulled, just newer titles. It's pretty much a given that Generals 2 won't appear on Steam at this point, though, given the trends over at EA. From what I remember there were also legal concerns, again, that only applied to newer stuff.

Speaking of Bioware Victory and Renegade, that new concept art for the Generals C&C FPS-that-also-got-canned is quite interesting, isn't it? Battlefield 3 also uses Frostbite 2 so I half wonder if they actually sat down with it there and when the FPS aspect was killed, they went for RTS on the same engine. I'm not sure what them playing or not play Renegade has to do with anything though.

Edited by Chronojam
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sooo... isn't the obvious step to get Renegade-X on Origin instead...

Or am I missing something?

You are. Origin is constantly panned by C&C fans :P

You are. Origin is constantly panned by C&C fans :P

Not just C&C fans, nobody likes Origin :P

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

:rolls eyes:

No obviously I got that... but if steam is a no go, then why not work within EA's system. Surely there would be less hoops to jump through if you kept in-house, and they might even be keen to drive customers to their system.

No one will get Origin just to get RenX.

Ren-X on Steam = okay. Ren-x on Origin = just no. Any indie game related to EA's C&C by an indie team does not necessarily have to be on Origin.

:rolls eye back the other way:

I don't mean to sound like a certain nuclear dragon but your argument is invalid.

No-one will get Steam just to get ren-x when you get it directly from their website.

The idea would have been to distribute the game to existing users of Steam and the same applies to Origin.

(unless you're trying to tell me that steam would become the default and only distribution channel of the mod...)

With Gen2 coming to Origin, there will be an infusion of C&C fans on the platform... no reason not to grab the opportunity.