AlexB

Faster rendering and less lag in TS/RA2/YR

Hi all,

yesterday I read about RA2's bad graphics rendering performance in Windows Vista and 7, which cannot be improved by that special ddraw.dll because the sceen would stay black.

I created a tool that can patch these games to make rendering faster. It should work with Tiberian Sun (2.03), Red Alert 2 (1.006) and Yuri's Revenge (1.001).

Download and more information.

(.net Framework 3.5 required.)

If it is working, please drop me a note. If not, you can post here, too. ^_^

I just tried it on my laptop which is really stubborn when it comes to Tiberian Sun. The game runs perfectly now! AlxeB you are a god!

Thank you, also for the C&C Comm news! :P

Does it works with mods?

It should work just fine. This is an exe patch and it contains no files that might collide with a mod.

If the mod delivers its own game.exe, it should be possible to patch this file also, as long as the mod did not mess with the bytes the patcher is trying to change.

Hi! Thanks for this tool! I'm using it for RA2 Yuri

Something I noticed about it: Some animations are too fast, like waypoints, graphic notices, ect. However, it doesn't seem to matter much/if-at-all to the actual gameplay.

My solution to this small issue was to use it together with Ares. That seemed to work better = all said animations was running at normal speed. This is with 'faster graphics' fix active, too.

I heard that Ares should be able to apply the same fix? but I installed Ares, and it doesn't apply the 'faster graphics' on its own (stock configuration) How can I do this, myself?

Cheers

Hi Hippox77!

That depends on the version of Ares you are running. 0.2 will enable this automatically, with 0.1 and 0.1p1 you will have to enable it manually. Create a file named "ares.ini" and put this in there:

[Graphics.Advanced]
Surface.Sidebar.Memory=System
Surface.Alternate.Memory=System
Surface.Composite.Memory=System
Surface.Hidden.Memory=System
Surface.Tile.Memory=System

Make sure there is an empty line at the bottom of the file.

I haven't tested the patcher with 0.1, because it does things differently than 0.2. Actually, it should override all settings from above, but that is a guess.

On 0.2 the graphics patcher should have no additional effect, neither negative nor positive, because Ares does the same.

If the game runs too fast, just don't use the fastest game speed. ;)

Hi Hippox77!

That depends on the version of Ares you are running. 0.2 will enable this automatically, with 0.1 and 0.1p1 you will have to enable it manually. Create a file named "ares.ini" and put this in there:

[Graphics.Advanced]
Surface.Sidebar.Memory=System
Surface.Alternate.Memory=System
Surface.Composite.Memory=System
Surface.Hidden.Memory=System
Surface.Tile.Memory=System

Make sure there is an empty line at the bottom of the file.

I haven't tested the patcher with 0.1, because it does things differently than v0.2. Actually, it should override all settings from above, but that is a guess.

On 0.2 the graphics patcher should have no additional effect, neither negative nor positive, because Ares does the same.

If the game runs too fast, just don't use the fastest game speed. ;)

Hi! :) I was indeed using the v0.1 build. I'll download Ares 0.2, build: 'Fat Man' now.

BTW: The general game wasn't running too fast, just a few non-gameplay related ones, as said. This happens with you don't use Ares - but only the Graphic Patcher on 'gamemd.exe'.

**On a side note (since it wasn't in the FAQ) should I use 98/ME compatibility mode with Ares? (Also, nobody in chat to ask :P)** PM me the answer. Don't want to mess to the thread. Thanks** shh

Cheers

Edited by Hippox77

Yes, neither this patch nor Ares update the game to support more recent operating systems, so all compatibility settings are still required.

Yes, neither this patch nor Ares update the game to support more recent operating systems, so all compatibility settings are still required.

Cheers

Would this download work for me? I have lag from time to time. I can pin down what causes this. I use game ranger. I did that editing the ini files fix under [Video]. This seem to work for a while and no it's slow again. ...any ideas?

Can I trouble somebody for help getting this patch to work? I'm testing out for tiberian sun

Since I'm using win7, I followed the instruction and put both files from the downloaded rar into a created folder (since it does not create its own upon unpacked), then I put my game.exe from TS into that same created folder, but graphic wont do anything, there's nothing I could select or do to specify and unless i'm missing something, I could not get it work

Also tried directly getting both graphic patch and the 'de' folder into my TB directory but it also wont work...

Please Help!