Sign in to follow this  
Jason Daniel

C&C Generals is framelocked? Also no menu animation anymore.

I got Generals to work on my own before coming here and it is patched to v1.8 with the standalone patch (no internet at home as FiOS is transferring). I have noticed two thing about the game that I didn't before. One is that the background in-game animation is not playing out; it's just a static 2D image. The other thing is that the game is apparently frame-locked at 24fps in cut scenes and 30-31FPS in a game.

Does any one know why the menu background is not working like it should and if it is possible to get rid of the frame lock?

Thanks.

From memory, if the menu background (called the "Shell Map") is just a static image then it means your system is under spec.

Or the game thinks it is anyway... I get the static image too when I am using a far more powerful set up now than when I first bought Generals, but the animated background worked fine on my old computer. I never looked for a fix though as I don't play Generals anymore.

it means your system is under spec

I'm pretty sure everyone has a rig that can run a 2003 game like Generals on pretty decent details by now...

• Downvote 1

I got Generals to work on my own before coming here and it is patched to v1.8 with the standalone patch (no internet at home as FiOS is transferring). I have noticed two thing about the game that I didn't before. One is that the background in-game animation is not playing out; it's just a static 2D image. The other thing is that the game is apparently frame-locked at 24fps in cut scenes and 30-31FPS in a game.

Does any one know why the menu background is not working like it should and if it is possible to get rid of the frame lock?

Thanks.

To get the shell map to work run the game in Windows XP compatibility mode. As for the locked frames thing I believe this is connected to the game speed of the game.

At the main menu I get 30 FPS, at normal speed in skirmish I get 40 and at max speed I get 60.

To get the shell map to work run the game in Windows XP compatibility mode. As for the locked frames thing I believe this is connected to the game speed of the game.

At the main menu I get 30 FPS, at normal speed in skirmish I get 40 and at max speed I get 60.

Yeah, I have a 2600K, 16GB DDR3 and a 2.5GB 570; the game not recognizing it makes sense. Even older 3DMarks think I have 32MB on my 570, heh.

The part about the frame rate being tied to game speed makes sense. I guess it slows the game by slowing the frame rate. 30fps is fine, but I was just wondering about it. Thanks for the replies!