Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Need Replacement Video Card

Over the past couple weeks I've been having some problems getting my computer to start. Basically all it does is this....

• Hit the power button
  • Sometimes the display doesn't come on at all and stays blank
  • Then I hear 1 continuous beep followed by 3 short beeps, BIOS manual says this means No VGA Detected
  • After switching of the power at the PSU and leaving it for 30 seconds it will boot up and the display will initialize

So I guess I need a replacement video card, based on what's happening here. But I have know idea what one to buy. I haven't but a new video card since 2007. The current (a 9600GT) came free from EA in June 2008.

Current system specs...

• CASE: Cooler Master Centurion 590
  • CPU: Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo @ 3.0 GHz
  • Cooling: Front/Rear 120mm fans, 140mm side fan, Stock Intel HSF.
  • Motherboard: ASUS P5QL-E
  • RAM: 4 GB Corsair DDR2800 Dual Channel
  • Video Card: EVGA 9600GT 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E
  • HDD: Western Digital 640 GB SATA2 & External eSATA Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA2
  • ODD: LG DVD/RW with Lightscribe
  • PSU: 500w Silverstone
  • Monitor: LG Flatron W2252TQ 22" LCD (Widescreen)
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech Cordless K340 Keyboard/MX620 Mouse
  • Speakers: Altec Lansing 2.1

I'm thinking I might just go with a budget video card, since I don't play a games on this PC any more.

Any advice is appreciated.

Malevolence would recommend you to go for a high-end video card, but since you wanted a budget video card, that'll be the mid-range to low-end GeForce 500 series for now.

As for me, I have been wanting to get a GeForce GTX 550 Ti since it has the fastest core, shader and memory clock of the 12th generation, at under $150 USD, but only carries 1 GB of DDR5 VRAM.

The latest video cards for the GeForce 600 and Radeon HD 7000 series are mostly using PCI-express 3.0 technology.

Malevolence would recommend you to go for a high-end video card, but since you wanted a budget video card, that'll be the mid-range to low-end GeForce 500 series for now

I see no point in wasting money on a high end card when I play no games. I just want my computer to start correctly when I switch it on, not fail 9 times out of 10 or freeze randomly.

Just this afternoon, while it was loading Windows it froze on the Windows loading animation, then froze again trying to resume while it was on the screen saver.

LOL, no worries I'm not recommending a high-end GPU. :)

During my absence I've been looking around, and realized I have been quite ignorant that GPU prices in Australia and New Zealand is freakingly overpriced as compare to other parts of the world. My apologies for that.

Current existing stocks:

• Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti. Old entry. Best price per performance card that has been around for a year. Can last better on a long run as the rest mentioned below will be easily replaced by then.
  • Nvidia GeForce GTS 450. Old entry. Around for quite a while and is for budget users.
  • AMD Radeon HD7850. New entry for mid-budget users, espcially if one loves AMD. Performs better than GTX 560Ti. Has PCI-e Gen 3 capabilties, just saying.
  • AMD Radeon HD7770/7750. AMD's answer for budget entries.

New budget stocks:

• Nvidia GeForce GT 640. Cheap, light, new. Decent for basic stuff. A good replacement for existing budget entry Nvidia GeForce GTS 450. Has PCI-e Gen 3 capabilties, just saying.

Personally I think GT640 is a good choice for you, a decent sub-$100 card, it's recently announced and released, Im not sure this supply has reached ur shores yet.

Edited by Malevolence
  • Upvote 1

Hell, if I had a replacement for my current ATi Radeon X1550, I'd send my card to you. :P

• Downvote 1

During my absence I've been looking around, and realized I have been quite ignorant that GPU prices in Australia and New Zealand is freakingly overpriced as compare to other parts of the world. My apologies for that.

Yeah the prices are so damn espensive here in NZ. But thanks for your advice Malevolence :thumbsup:

So you think its the video card failing here? Is it something else?

I'm going to open the case up tomorrow, give it clean out, dust etc.... and reseat the video card and ram. Rule out the simple stuff before spending money on it.

if you want something really cheap but still average performance get an nvidia 620

The GTS450 should be the better choice since it should be available down there already. Should be cheap-ish by now too.

I personally think your GT9600 has finished its lifespan. Do you have a spare setup you can borrow or something to test and isolate that the card is the main issue yet?

$200 NZ will be my budget for this purchase. So I might go for the http://www.playtech....uctdetails.html or this one since I'm a Leadtek fan http://www.ascent.co...x?ItemID=406128

Good choice that you'll decide to go for the Nvidia GeForce GT 640 option. From where I come from, many of us rarely chose Leadtek, because Leadtek are good in workstation Quadro cards and not so well in GeForce cards.

I'll pick the Asus card if its up to me, beefier card, larger heatsink for cooling and heat dissipation, which is more important for a graphics card.

Asus claimed to use their super alloy power stuff, which can possible allow the card to have a longer lifespan. Since you're not going to waste money again, and as already mentioned, GPU sales in NZ is way overpriced. So, on the long run, maybe it's more worth it to get this instead?

And specifications wise when comparing both Asus and Leadtek, its obvious that Asus is the clear winner in terms of price-per-performance. WIth a solid 2GB GDDR3 memory vs Leadtek's 1GB GDDR3 memory, and Asus has one additional DVI-D connector, I rather get ASUS card then the inferior Leadtek card.

Ultimately, the most important factor is the warranty and aftersales support. Will it be a 2-year warranty card? 3-year warranty card? These are the things to consider as well.

EDIT: Oh yea... GeForce GT 640 is so power efficient it doesn't even need any additional PCI-e 6-pin power connectors! :)

Edited by Malevolence

I personally think your GT9600 has finished its lifespan. Do you have a spare setup you can borrow or something to test and isolate that the card is the main issue yet?

No I don't have anything like that. If I did it would have been the first thing to try. I'm getting more convinced its the video card, it did some more freezing again. This time while watching a couple of YouTube videos.

As for the 9600GT reaching its lifespan. Well yeah it has, but since I don't play games on PC any more I didn't really care but I knew I would have to get something better by the time Generals 2 is released.

As for the 9600GT reaching its lifespan. Well yeah it has, but since I don't play games on PC any more I didn't really care but I knew I would have to get something better by the time Generals 2 is released.

DICE's Frostbyte 2 engine is pretty demanding. I've been playing Battlefield 3 regularly nowadays, and completed Need For Speed: The RUN a long time back, I was pushing my existing GTX 260 and could only play it at mid settings decently with decent acceptable frames of 30FPS-ish on a 1680x1050p monitor.

From many tech reviews, only GTX 670, GTX 680, HD7970 are the cards that can run at insane over-the-top settings, but comes at an expensive price tag. Lets not talk about that. :/

Anyways...

If you are using GT 640 don't expect it to run at high settings for Generals 2, I guess it should be able to play any Frostbyte 2 games at average settings too, about 36FPS on a 1680x1050p monitor; 29.7FPS on a 1920x1080p monitor.

http://www.tomshardw...iew,3214-3.html

Edited by Malevolence

Well in early 2013 I'm thinking of a full system upgrade, CPU/Mobo/RAM/Video. And a new monitor as well. So whatever card I do buy will be simply to rid of myself of the current problems until Jan/Feb 2013.

So I'm not overly concerned about gaming performance here.

Well in early 2013 I'm thinking of a full system upgrade, CPU/Mobo/RAM/Video. And a new monitor as well. So whatever card I do buy will be simply to rid of myself of the current problems until Jan/Feb 2013.

So I'm not overly concerned about gaming performance here.

Oic. Hey just checking, you aint interested in AMD cards right? You prefer Nvidia as well?

Yeah I'm an NVIDIA fan ;)

Anyway, this afternoon I pulled out the RAM and reseated it, did the same for the video card, gave it clean. Cleaned around other parts of the case, very dusty in there. Powered it on again, booted successfully. But not convince its fixed until I get a few days of normal boot ups and no freezing problems.

Yeah I'm an NVIDIA fan ;)

Anyway, this afternoon I pulled out the RAM and reseated it, did the same for the video card, gave it clean. Cleaned around other parts of the case, very dusty in there. Powered it on again, booted successfully. But not convince its fixed until I get a few days of normal boot ups and no freezing problems.

Cool cool cool.. sometimes dust acculmilation can mess up the PCI-e connectors and RAM connectors. What some of us did is before reseating back into the slots, use a clean eraser and gently give a good rub on the metal connectors first. ;)

I hope it turns out fine and can push for the next 7 months or so before your actual PC overhaul.

What some of us did is before reseating back into the slots, use a clean eraser and gently give a good rub on the metal connectors first. ;)

That's exactly what I did. I had some of these all surface eraser things, no idea where they came from, they look like firm white sponges. I used one to remove all the dust and clean the connectors.