Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

EA Gearing Up for Gamescom 2012

With E3 all over for another year, all the attention now turns to Gamescom 2012, which takes place in Cologne, Germany this August. Today, EA issued this press release announcing their line up of games to be showcased. Generals 2 is not publicly listed, but let's hope they surprise us with something. Command & Conquer has had a strong presence at Gamescom in the past.

ro127.png

EA GEARING UP FOR GAMESCOM 2012

Top brands coming to Europe’s biggest gaming event of the year

Guildford, UK - June 15, 2012 – Electronic Arts is set to delight consumers from around the word at gamescom 2012. The company’s top brands will be in Cologne this August to showcase the latest first person shooter, action, sports, simulation and casual titles across multiple platforms. EA is set to unveil new content and services from its best loved franchises including FIFA 13, Medal of Honor™ Warfighter, Need for Speed™ Most Wanted, Crysis® 3, SimCity™, and others.

‘Gamescom is a pillar for our industry’, said Jens Uwe Intat, Senior Vice President of EA European Publishing. ‘The show is truly unique in its capacity to draw both industry and consumers to a showcase of the year’s hottest entertainment offerings and we’re looking forward to being there in force again in 2012’.

Gamescom takes place in Cologne, Germany from August 15-19th. EA will hold its annual gamescom media briefing on Tuesday, August 14th at 4pm.

Click here for the full press release.

I don't know what to say...I'm kind of disappointed. I understood why they might not have much to show until E3, and even at E3, but GamesCom? it's even stranger, because C&C has always had a strong presence at GamesCom/Games Convention events. They keep saying they don't reveal anything because they want to meet internal milestones...Well, while this product is being developed, we are hearing nothing about it, and it is supposed to come out next year. How can the community stay alive after a new game is announced, when no more information is given over a period of 8 months, if not for longer than that? 8 months - That's how much time will have elapsed since the reveal in December of 2011 by GamesCom.

It looks like they're having the same issue with OverStrike:

http://www.videogame...t_gamescom.html

It is ridiculous to not show anything, we don't need fancy trailers, a few low resolution jpegs would be enough.

I can understand a small amount of goodies, but I can't think of an excuse* to release nothing at all for this long. :mad:

*except maybe cancelation

How can the community stay alive after a new game is announced, when no more information is given over a period of 10 months, if not for longer than that? 10 months - That's how much time will have elapsed since the reveal in December of 2011 by GamesCom.

After the first announcement of Guild Wars 2 it was about two years until there was more information, and it survived very well.

C&C has a very big fanbase in Germany. They would have to be nuts not to show at least something.

After the first announcement of Guild Wars 2 it was about two years until there was more information, and it survived very well.

It's certainly possible but Guild Wars is an MMO, an MMO with a much stronger fanbase than C&C has.

I am afraid EA_Cire will say the same thing as he once said in E3.

Waiting is believing, but this isn't the time now.

It's certainly possible but Guild Wars is an MMO, an MMO with a much stronger fanbase than C&C has.

Doesn't matter much if it's an MMO or not. The fanbase argument is okayish, but they got their fanbase because they take their time and support the game longer then a few weeks. Same with Blizzard, they support their games for a long duration and get a good fanbase.

And before someone brings up the "Blizzard releases way fewer games in the same time" Guild Wars is the prime example that it works if the fans are just satisfied with the experience, Factions came out a year later, and Nightfall just another half year, and EotN again not even a year later.

Well the thing is no actual release date has been announced for Generals 2, only a 2013 release window. So the devs could be months away from showing anything publicly. A little more confident of seeing something at Gamescom though, more than I was during E3.

Doesn't matter much if it's an MMO or not. The fanbase argument is okayish, but they got their fanbase because they take their time and support the game longer then a few weeks. Same with Blizzard, they support their games for a long duration and get a good fanbase.

And before someone brings up the "Blizzard releases way fewer games in the same time" Guild Wars is the prime example that it works if the fans are just satisfied with the experience, Factions came out a year later, and Nightfall just another half year, and EotN again not even a year later.

Perhaps you're right but I still think this can't be a good thing for the community...

I'd like for the C&C community to be like the Thief community. They were never plentiful, not even when the games were being released. The first one was released in 1998, the second in 2000, not long before the developing studio, Looking Glass, was shut down (Westwood anyone?). Ion Storm made Thief 3 in 2004, but four years ago a Thi4f website and forum were uploaded without any more information. Earlier this year, some storyboards and a low resolution screenshot leaked (that is, they noticed it on a developer's computer screen), and a few days ago, the first CGI video leaked into public.

What I want to say is that with all these spaces inbetween, the Thief fans waited. Patiently. Calmly. We might want to look up to them. Especially when we're getting a game that must revive a damaged franchise.

Me.. I'm patient and not bothered by lack of details... no news is still good news for me.