wolfstain

Translating TD videos to spanish

Hello everyone!, I'm subtitling the videos of C&C TD and cover ops into Spanish, I have some dialogues that Zenix translate some time ago, lthough there are still several to transcribe and translate, and some dialogues do not appear correctly translated, I wanted to know if someone could take me a hand transcribing dialogues in English (I find it easier to translate reading than listening), if someone has time and wants to help me would appreciate very much.

Sure, no problem. Do you need specific videos or all of them?

Sure, no problem. Do you need specific videos or all of them?

I need by now the transcript of:

Nod Cd

nodend1.vqa

nodend2.vqa

nodend3.vqa

nodend4.vqa

nodfinal.vqa

GDI Cd

burdet1.vqa

burdet2.vqa

gdifina.vqa

gdifinb.vqa

podium.vqa

tbrinfo.vqa

tbrinfo2.vqa

tbrinfo3.vqa

Here it is.

Words marked with * are a bit dubious to me, those with ** are names that could be misheard, and <?> marks are placeholders for a word I couldn't understand.

Maybe Nyerguds can fill in the gaps (there are only a few)

TDTranscribed.txt

Filling in the gaps:

> Exclusive photos mungled* out of the Tiberium research center

"smuggled"

> element that appears to have strong various* qualities

ferrous qualities. As in, related to iron, and, usually, magnetism.

> on the first, second and ninth <?> rings!

"quark rings"

> it appears to also leech vital nutriants from all plant life

Misspelled "nutrients" :P

of what GDI terrorists have left of the Senalowski** orphanage.

> It's "St. Olafski". The French version is clearer on that. The German version says "Santa Bianca".

> Kane's "Where to strike" speech

is indeed in the game's audio files, and can't be subtitled unless you manage to squeeze the whole thing on satsel.cps

(if you are considering this, please tell me, the file has some... oddities. One of these is a stretching table, comparable to the vqp files for videos)

> United Nations' teams continue to sift through the rubble

"sift" is correct. No need for the <'> behind united nations though, "United Nations teams" is used normally. :)

> "a mind-numbing attack" (French version)

This was actually an error, should be 'accident' like the others. Not sure what to do about it though :P

> testified before a scenic* congressional hearing earlier today

"senate", as indicated by the next sentence, which includes "hostile senators" ;)

> Sheppard admitted he had no idea how security access for GDI's top secret orbital station... <fades>

Sheppard admitted he had no idea how security access for GDI's top secret orbital space cannon could have been compromised.

On the names, most seem to be right, but the French is probably "Prichard".

TDTranscribed.txt

• Upvote 1

Did you use the split method I suggested?

[edit]

Ew, you shifted it to the top. Ah well. Your choice I guess. Gives you more space for the subtitles :)

The harvester scene at 00:31 seems to switch to a new palette too late. The first part of it still uses a different palette.

The cut off "Deactivate your-" line in the "$perry Financial Network" isn't subtitled.

The Brett Sperry part, I'd say (in Spanish) "This is Greg Burdette, for WWN", but not really show what WWN means. Just make it clear it's the news network. The full name is never actually shown as far as I know, and I'm pretty sure the WW was also a joke on "WestWood". (especially since you see Westwood's green screen in one of the videos ;))

"Are you picking this up?"

I'd put those messages coming through the TV transmission in italics. Same with both "Deactivate your defense matrix" ones.

Did you use the split method I suggested?

[edit]

Ew, you shifted it to the top :P

Ah well. Your choice I guess.

I needed space for text, I followed your splitted method, though as you'll see there are still some frames that clash at times, I think it is problem in the VQA encoder

The harvester scene at 00:31 seems to switch to a new palette too late. The first part of it still uses a different palette.

The cut off "Deactivate your-" line in the "$perry Financial Network" isn't subtitled.

The Brett Sperry part, I'd say (in Spanish) "This is Greg Burdette, for WWN", but not really show what WWN means. Just make it clear it's the news network. The full name is never actually shown as far as I know, and I'm pretty sure the WW was also a joke on "WestWood". (especially since you see Westwood's green screen in one of the videos ;))

"Are you picking this up?"

I'd put those messages coming through the TV transmission in italics. Same with both "Deactivate your defense matrix" ones.

Yeah, the harvester scene and the security comission part have the same problem, I dont know how to fix it, when I see the pcx have the right colors, I dont know if its something on the vqa encoder configuration.

Edited by wolfstain

Well, if you make sure every piece is a multiple of 8 frames, you can kinda manage it yourself. Just make sure to keep in mind that frame numbers are 0-based, so the last frame is always (multiple of 8) -1.

Nyer....

TBRINFO3

(...) it seems to be adapting the Earth's terrain <?> the environment to suit its alien nature

Can you fill this in?

Well, if you make sure every piece is a multiple of 8 frames, you can kinda manage it yourself. Just make sure to keep in mind that frame numbers are 0-based, so the last frame is always (multiple of 8) -1.

what if my pieces (¿scenes?) are not multiples of 8?

Then the palette will mess up. The game decodes the video in blocks of 8 frames. It can only switch to a new palette after such a block is fully played.

So if you have a block that tries to switch palette halfway, then the frames in that block that SHOULD have a different palette than the first frame of that block will STILL be shown using the palette of that first frame. which will give messed up colours.

8 frames isn't a lot though, on 15 fps. You can easily make sure it's at or around the scene switch. And if it isn't, well, just keep the sections on multiples of 8 frames anyway, and do the colour reduction with a few extra frames in.

The originals should have their scene switches correctly though...

VQAtoAVI cannot parse frame 16 on the .vqa file.

EDIT: All I could see is that frames 7, 16 and 24 are glitchy.

Hmm, never tried changing the key frame value... Ugordan told me to stay off those settings.

VQAtoAVI cannot parse frame 16 on the .vqa file.

EDIT: All I could see is that frames 7, 16 and 24 are glitchy.

what are you trying to do?

Hmm, never tried changing the key frame value... Ugordan told me to stay off those settings.

usually leave it in key interval (frame) = 8, but making an exception for the intro video with = 6 works a little better (at least the harvest sequence is not noticed much)

Greetings all. I registered here to add my 2c to this.

Yeah, the harvester scene and the security comission part have the same problem, I dont know how to fix it, when I see the pcx have the right colors, I dont know if its something on the vqa encoder configuration.

Most likely a "feature" of the encoder. See below.

Then the palette will mess up. The game decodes the video in blocks of 8 frames. It can only switch to a new palette after such a block is fully played.

Technically, a new palette can be set at any time and the game (or any player probably) doesn't mind. However, in order for that to work on the encoding side, the 2000 or so blocks would have to be split and encoded for two different palettes and there's no easy, quick and elegant way for the encoder to determine the best split, quality-wise. As a result, it simply assumes the palette in the first of the frames in the 8-frame sequence is the same one as shared by the other 7 frames. I.e. the encoder only supports palette changes on such boundaries (and only checks for them at that point, IIRC), but there *are* C&C videos where palettes are switched in the middle. The problematic videos here are probably those ones. It didn't occur to me at the time people would want to recode the existing movies again.

The only quick workaround I can offer is manually isolating that sequence of 8 frames in the *.pcx set and recalculating them to a single, optimized palette. That will likely drive image quality further down for those 8 frames and you'll end up introducing an extra palette change, but at least it shouldn't be visually as ugly as a bad palette.

You'll have it within a few hours.

Hey gordan, nice to see you here :)

Technically, a new palette can be set at any time and the game (or any player probably) doesn't mind. However, in order for that to work on the encoding side, the 2000 or so blocks would have to be split and encoded for two different palettes and there's no easy, quick and elegant way for the encoder to determine the best split, quality-wise. As a result, it simply assumes the palette in the first of the frames in the 8-frame sequence is the same one as shared by the other 7 frames. I.e. the encoder only supports palette changes on such boundaries (and only checks for them at that point, IIRC), but there *are* C&C videos where palettes are switched in the middle. The problematic videos here are probably those ones. It didn't occur to me at the time people would want to recode the existing movies again.

The only quick workaround I can offer is manually isolating that sequence of 8 frames in the *.pcx set and recalculating them to a single, optimized palette. That will likely drive image quality further down for those 8 frames and you'll end up introducing an extra palette change, but at least it shouldn't be visually as ugly as a bad palette.

Oh, neat, never knew that. So your encoder is actually somewhat simplified, compared to the original one WW must've had?

Kinda unrelated, but, how exactly are vqps saved? I've made a generator for the stretch palettes the game uses for WSA animations and CPS files, but those are the full 256x256 best-in-between-colour-indexes table. The VQPs seem to be missing the inevitable Y*X duplicates of all X*Y occurrences. So you know exactly how that's done?