Sign in to follow this  
Emil Georgiev

2 Secret GLA factions + difficulty difference in campaign/challenge - questions

Hello everyone. :)

There are two unplayable generals i think nobody noticed( i searched so long).

First General:

In GLA mission 2 you are up against the stealth general, but that general isn't the one you are playing with in skirmish/multiplayer. He's different in many ways. I'll just point a few differences -

1. every unit he builds( besides the rocket buggy) is stealth.

2. every building he builds is stealth while under construction and after without the need of upgrading.

3. he can build up to 5 Jarmen Kells that are different from the others. They are stealth whatever they do (shooting, using ability..), and their special ability recharges SUPER FAST!!

you face him in GLA mission 2 and you also spot some of his units in chineese mission 5 ( the ones garrisoned in the buildings in the USA base) as far as i know.

Second General:

The general you are facing in USA mission 5 is also a lot different from the one you play in skirmish/multiplayer.

some differences:

1. cool looking rpg troopers

2. tanks look like they are fully upgraded trough salvage drops when they are not.

3. i'm not really sure, but i think his soldiers and workers are invincible to any kind of poison ( once again, not sure).

Now for my question regarding those two generals - How can i make them playable in skirmish?

I have also noticed that between the difficulties (easy/medium/hard) in generals challenge and in campaign, the AI controlled player is different in other ways besides behavior.

In easy difficulty, in both modes, the enemy units seem to be exactly 1 rank behind you. I mean they shot slower and are much weaker. If, lets say a scorpion tank, BUILD by the AI is rank 1 and attacks your scorpion tank which doesn't have any rank, you'll see that there is no difference in the damage/firing rate between the two tanks. The same thing effects EVEN base defenses, particle cannon and some general powers ( yes! they show slower!), as well as every unit the AI builds.

In normal difficulty, the AI units are equal to yours, i.e no rank handicap.

In hard difficulty the enemy units, base defenses, ect. all shoot faster and are more powerful than yours. A heroic paladin is damn near indestructible, freshly build auroras ( inexpirianced) blow defenses in 1 shot. It is like everything they build comes out with an 'invisible rank'. A rank 2 tank is the same ( SAME!) as your heroic ranked tank. Pretty unfair, i know ( we asked for it xD).

If you want to confirm this you can try playing the campaign/ challenges in different difficulty, clear out an enemy tank ( best example is the quad cannon. Play GLA mission 2 and take out one of stealth generals' quad cannons, capture it and compare the firing rate between it and a quad cannon build from your war factory).

Question regarding this - can I apply this effect to me or different AI players in skirmish? and/or can i boost myself in campaign and generals challenge this way, and make lets say the AI controlled player on hard difficulty to fall on 'normal level'?

Thanks in advance for your help x)

Have a nice day.

Just a quick counter-question; are you sure the 2 "hidden" factions/generals are actually set up as real standalone factions? My first thought was that the AI's default faction units and settings were modified to better fit a certain level much like you could do in the World Builder if you're into custom campaign missions or mods.

@AZ-Stalker,

I'm not exactly sure if they are seperate factions or not. There are a lot of differences betwen those and the original two.

If I were to put myself in the map/mission makers place, I'd just modify a certain faction (like the Stealth General) and mix it up with scripts and unit-specific abilities like having 24-7 stealth vehicles and so on. So I'm guessing thats what the Generals developers actually did. In short, the factions you're asking about could very well be just scripted and modified default factions. Can't think of any reason for the developers to make an entire standalone general just for one mission + not human-controlled.

@AZ-Stalker,

you have a point, but is there any way to confirm this?

Also could you look at my second question and see if you can help?

Well I'm no expert but as for the second difficulty question, I'd say you can do anything with the right modding tools/programs and some knowledge and experience on world building, scripting and modifying the game. The handicap thing is there to ensure a challenge, or the opposite (for less skillful players) during the Generals ZH challenge missions. As far as I'm aware of, an in-game AI handicap could be applied in a Skirmish match only through custom made maps with custom scripts OR in a medium-scale game mod which requires a lot of work. It's just the game's design. Some campaign missions were modified to better suite a certain atmosphere while others seem more or less mainstream like the Skirmish matches. You can EASILY insert a vast amount of random units when making a map for Generals. I could put 10 Jarmen Kell's in if I wanted to and get them to play on, I don't know, China's side? You can select any unit and turn it's affiliation over to any faction YOU create. You aren't confined to existing Skirmish style Generals. As for the previous question; I'm pretty sure that's what the developeres did, they modified a faction to their liking. You can do anything by utilizing the Generals World Builder and third party modding tools. If you really want to boost yourself in campaign missions, then you could try extracting a mission using a program called FinalBIG or some other "tool" and mess around in the World Builder, add some units and change some settings and what not, then reload it back in the game. And you've just modded the game. That's pretty much it for all I can think of on how to tackle the handicap and custom General questions.

If I haven't answered something clear enough for you, feel free to ask for more information. Though keep in mind that I'm not that experienced in direct modding, just the World Builder and some other neat little programs... ;)

Edited by AZ-Stalker

@AZ-Stalker,

damn.. i will play around with world builder and see what happens.

Thanks for your help and attention mate. :}

Have a nice day x)

Remember to drop by if you need any more help or send me a personal message if you need some help with fiddling around with the World Builder. :)

These two generals are in the game, they just aren't playable Singleplayer.

First General is called Prince Kassad

Second General is called Dr.Thrax

Yes they're two different Stealth and Toxin generals that you only play in the missions you noted. That stealth General also has the Battle Busses with the disguise ability (same as Bomb Truck) but the General doesn't build Battle Bus on that map. Those two Generals are different from the Multiplayer generals with the same name. ZH wasn't finished (neither was Generals) which explains the single player generals..

Dr.Thrax in USA Mission 5(ZH) has toxin rebels cost 150$ instead of 200$ in multiplayer.

Prince Kassad(GLA ZH Mission 2) also have sniper units,special upgrade on his quad cannons,and cant build motorbikes(although they appear on the mission,his arms dealer cant produce any).I think the creators removed some of this ability otherwise no one would use other GLA factions.It's to fit multiplayer balance.

And your second question about the handicaps,I feel it too. It also happens with Tiberian Sun's campaign.

These two generals are a standalone faction as they have their own INI file sperating from the playable generals.To make them playable you need BIG.file (at least that's what I used)and extract the INI files.The Prince Kassad campaign INI file is at Data/INI/Object/GC_Slth_GLABuilding/Unit/System and Dr.Thrax's is at Data/INI/Object/GC_Chem_GLABuilding/System/Units.

Anyway just open the commandset.INI and add "GC_Chem_Command_ConstructGLAWorker" or"GC_Slth_Command_ConstructGLAWorker" at the respective general's command center command set and you can build workers that constructs buildings(and these buildings constructs the units) exactly like in the GLA mission 2 or USA mission 5. The GC_Chem is the usa mission 5's enemy and the GC_Slth is the GLA 2's enemy.

Ok so I think the weapon bonus SOLO_AI_HARD in gamedata.ini is what is used for the handicap but so far I haven't found a way to apply it. Do you have any ideas about how to apply it ?

Edited by Emil Georgiev