Sign in to follow this  
FerryGooD

Suggestion for Nyerguds: Add AI players that build bases

Hi there C&C fans!

Recently I've been getting back into the C&C series after finding redalert1.com and using an old PC to setup a LAN, so I can play locally with a friend. We don't like to play online against others, in fact we only play co-op so we can ally and fight AI players. Also, from watching videos on Youtube it looks like online players only do tank rushes, which is boring to us, although I'm sure it requires a lot of micro skills. To each their own right? :)

So when reading the FAQ to find out the fantastic work Nyerguds and the C&C community has been doing with Patch 1.06, I wanted to add a suggestion of my own:

Please add AI players that can build bases. Back in the 90's I remember seeing unofficial additions (mods?) to C&C95 that allowed AI players to build pretty good bases in a Skirmish-like mode, like AI players in Red Alert do. This would also greatly enhance the fun in Skirmish for C&C95.

Perhaps you could find such an old mod for AI players to build bases, or use the Red Alert Skirmish & Multiplayer AI in C&C95, to add a wildcard to local & online matches?

PS: If there's a way to already do this, please forgive my ignorance on this subject. I did read the FAQ before coming here, but obviously I'm not the diehard player I used to be, like the fans here obviously are. ^_^

Seriously, the way everyone's working together (for example with CnCnet) to make the old C&C games run perfectly on new systems is amazing! It blows my mind how awesome everyone involved is -- and all the fans still playing are. I just wanted to tell folks like Nyerguds, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!! I registered in part just to say thanks.

Thanks Kamikave! I had no idea I was asking Nyerguds such a loaded question, ha! But I am glad there are so many C&C95 fans wanting the same base-building AI in multiplayer.

One question about an alternate solution: Do co-op maps exist?

Not single player mission maps, but you know, multiplayer maps with 1 base building AI programmed into it... or multiple pre-placed AI bases to fight with an ally. Throw in some attack teams and you'd have a great recipe for Skirmish missions. I'd love to download co-op maps like that for LAN or online play. :D

Thanks again!

I don't know, I've never looked for coop maps. Maybe if you look hard enough on this forum, or at http://www.cnc-comm.com/, you'll find some... C&C95 AI is kind of primitive, you'll have more fun with single player scripted missions, or Red Alert skirmish.

Edited by Kamikave

Thanks for handling this, Kamikave.

FerryGooD, glad you like my work, but, sorry, not gonna happen.

As for multiplayer maps with an AI programmed in it, they'll still be dodgy. From what I've seen, the AI keeps mindlessly churning out units and sending them all to the most northern hostile target. Heck, I once put a Neutral AI base on a map, and it kept building civilians, which are supposed to be 100% unbuildable.

The closest you can get is making actual missions out of the multiplayer maps, and playing them as 'skirmish' from the New Missions menu.

From what I've seen, the AI keeps mindlessly churning out units and sending them all to the most northern hostile target.

Isn't that always the case, even in single player ?

Isn't that always the case, even in single player ?

Hell no. The Teamtypes you make control exactly which units it creates, where they go, and what they attack, and with the triggers you can determine exactly when it'll make them. Mind you, making teams isn't the same as making units. Units that are in teamtypes are always produced (unless the teamtype specifies them not to), so the AI will actually HAVE these units at the time it's asked to send them out as a team.