Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

CnC-Inside Says Generals 2 Might Be at Gamescom 2012

German fan site, CnC-Inside has posted a new article that lists reasons why they firmly believe that Generals 2 will finally make a public appearance at Gamescom in Cologne, Germany later this month. Being a German site, the article is of course not in English, but here are the main points....

rsl5i.png
  • Maintain interest in the game - December 2011's announcement brought back the fans, now their interest must be sparked again
  • Go head to head with Blizzard and the next chapter of Starcraft 2
  • Gamescom is the last big event of the year before the Christmas season begins
  • Have time to communicate before 2013 release date of the game
  • Get the community involved

The list above is based on a list provided by a translation from CNC Saga. You can read the original article here in German. For the English speaking world, here's a rough translation.

Maintain interest in the game - December 2011's announcement brought back the fans, now their interest must be sparked again

The waiting made them go away again.

Go head to head with Blizzard and the next chapter of Starcraft 2

2332127_o.gif

Go head to head with Blizzard on Starcraft 2? Come on..... What about End of Nations and Company of Heroes 2? That is more likely going head to head with those games.

Anyways, this is what they hoped but unfortunately I highly doubt this will happen. How can the recent C&C be more popular overseas and not much domestically?

Five theses, five vague guesses. Number four in the original text is particularly weird. It says the 2013 release is getting closer fast. Besides the point that all future dates are coming closer every second obviously (that's how time works), they seem to refer to the beginning of 2013, which is indeed in less than four months time. Yet, December 2013 is still 15 months away. So, no time to hurry per se. They come to the opposite conclusion, apparently taking an early 2013 release as a fact. So they roughly conclude "They are already late to get the PR machinery going!". Without actual facts it's just wishful thinking.

Why does EA have to steal the show from Blizzard? Will Starcraft players say "Ooh, shiny Generals 2! I'll wait for G2 and not buy Starcraft"? And why would the 2012 Christmas season be of importance if customers can't buy G2 by then? Why would EA show G2 at Gamescom for sure? "EA knows they have to show something", but they didn't show anything at E3 either. Didn't they know back then? If not, what changed their mind? And why would EA have to care for the fans? They'll most likely come back when the first ingame videos appear anyhow, forgetting everything that happened, thus no need to please them now.

Edited by AlexB

Hey Guys :),

I am the author of this article. Yep your right AlexB, these are 5 vague thesis, and there is some kind of misunderstanding in the translation. We didn't say in this article, that Generals 2 WILL BE at GC12 - we just said - it has to be there - slight difference ;).

And btw. do you remember almost a year ago, people laughed at us predicting the Generals 2 announcement in december - and almost no one believed us ;p

Another slight misunderstanding is that we didn't say that Christmas Season will be Important for Generals 2, because it isn't - due to the fact that it won't be buyable, but we said that all the PR will be focused on the holiday season after gc - so this is the last chance to slightly begin to bring Generals 2 back to our minds before they focus their promotion on other titles another time.

btw. I have a nice recommendation, our friends at cncsaga.com delivered some facts, why Generals 2 will not be at GC12 - and their points are definitley noteworthy!

Sorry for my bad english :)

We will see who is right this time :)

Edited by moby3012

Hi Moby3012,

the german caption is "5 reasons why the lack of news will end on GC", the teaser paragraph says "We explain why the lack of information will end" and the first paragraph says "why the GC in Cologne will be the place where the lack of information is stopped" which all contradict your above explanation. No subjunctive mood -- you're stating it as a fact at least three times even before the theses start. ;)

I very well remember that UF was certain G2 would be announced about a year ago. In retrospection, you were correct, but when you made that announcement, the signs could have meant anything. If you know more than you write, like from certain sources inside the company, mention this and do not come up with dozens of faux guesses to hide the fact you know. If you are right, state a single fact and its source. It would be enough and leave no doubt. If you don't, you are right for the wrong reasons, which in my eyes doesn't make your future predictions (like this one) any more credible. That's why I don't believe neither G2 will be shown nor G2 will not be shown, even though one of them must be true.

I don't know whether you are right or wrong because I just see no obvious evidence that you are wrong (even though I think most of the theses don't make sense). But I suspect that if you turn out to be correct on this matter, you would be wrong about the reasons you are giving in the article on why you were right. We will see.

Edited by AlexB

I have to admit, that the headlines are formed in a very sharp way to catch the eyes - but they were not intended to be presented as facts. Maybe I will focus more on the particular wording of my headlines in the future.

But, as I saw you are german, so you should be able to understand the article the way it was intended. It is written in a personal style and the theses are definitely formed as what they are - vague ones. The whole article btw. only reflects the discussions held in our community within the past few months and summarizes them in an optimistic way within these 5 theses - nothing more. ;)

Maybe we will deliver another article "5 reasons, why Generals 2 will NOT be at gc", but I am an optimistic guy on that and I wish that it will be shown on GC so if there is a public demand for such an article - someone else has to write it :)

I am the author of this article. Yep your right AlexB, these are 5 vague thesis, and there is some kind of misunderstanding in the translation. We didn't say in this article, that Generals 2 WILL BE at GC12 - we just said - it has to be there - slight difference ;).

I've change the headline here. I agree there is a lot lost in the translation. The Google and Bing translators are ok but not 100% perfect.

Anyway I feel that Generals 2 could be Gamescom this year. C&C is huge in Germany, it just seems like a logical place for its first public outing. And if we nothing about Generals during Gamescom it mean we get anything about it until the new year I'd say. Because I get the feeling Generals 2 will have a Q4 2013 release date.

I don't give it a lot of chance.

i hope it will be and i hope this is not a move to get some traffic, but even that, could lead the company to make a dessision and BE there and give us some news, because all i see now is just CnC TA online all the time..... :(