Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

17 Years of Command & Conquer

Wow! Can you believe it's been 17 years of awesome (and some not so awesome) Command & Conquer gaming? August 31st marks the 17th anniversary of the day this historic franchise began when Westwood Studios released the original Command & Conquer on August 31st 1995. It was a game that arguably defined the genre that we call "real time strategy".

CRUSn.png

Even though it's the anniversary of Command & Conquer's release, it's great to have a retrospective look back at the franchise as whole.

Feel free to share your favourite moments and memories from any of the past Command & Conquer games with us in the news thread.

Still needs 9 hours 'til the anniversary here, but I'll play along.

As much as I like to play different games, I can never forget C&C, especially not Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge.

Ah, the game that got me gaming. I'll never forget the first time my Dad finally said "Yes" and let me on the computer to play this. Think in light of this, should load up The First Decade and give the game a run through.

I started playing a bit of Tiberian Sun the other day. In comparison to all other games in the entire franchise, I have to say that one really has not aged well. That said though, it still still has the most difficult campaigns of all C&C games. Even if they're arguably not all that fun to complete.

That said, my most favourite C&C moment probably came in the form of a certain piece of Renegade Marketing. With the news of the release date potentially falling back further, they took it upon themselves to have Havoc visit Westwood. It was great to see that despite all the politics that were going on during that time, that the team could still poke fun at themselves.

I thought the most difficult campaigns in all C&C games is the first C&C.

I thought the most difficult campaigns in all C&C games is the first C&C.

Depends on your play style I guess. I had a really rough time with the double sided attack mission where you have to steal an Orca Fighter in order to attack a civilian village... on the PlayStation 1.

With the news of the release date potentially falling back further, they took it upon themselves to have Havoc visit Westwood. It was great to see that despite all the politics that were going on during that time, that the team could still poke fun at themselves.

I still have that flash video on my PC. In any case, lets all relive that one since we're sharing certain C&C moments:

Edited by AZ-Stalker

Watches video... tears up...