Sign in to follow this  
Alex06

Sean Decker EA Russia Interview

According to a Russian interview with EA's Sean Decker, vice-president of Play4Free, the following information has been revealed about the new Command & Conquer "Free To Play" service:

• The game does not require Play4Free funds, but might and paid content might be offered, though it all depends on what the consumers demand.
  • The game will only ship with 2 factions at launch: GLA and EU.
  • C&C Free To Play is a service, which will ship with 1 game, or rather, universe: Generals 2. Other universes will follow eventually.
  • As a service, it won't be focused on a single universe, timeline or story, but will, eventually, include all of these.

You can watch the interview here:

The video is in English, but dubbed over in Russian, so it's hard to understand clearly what both the interviewer and Decker are saying.

GLA and EU only?

We can't even get a half completed game these days! To bad they didn't stick with Generals 2 being a full game... :(

Guest Rabbit

I sure hope it's at least balanced.

I am really beginning to wonder if they have a solid plan beyond the first three weeks after launch. There are so many "might be or might not be, we haven't decided yet" cropping up regularly in interviews, it's not funny anymore.

- The game will only ship with 2 factions at launch: GLA and EU.

As I predicted.

Meh. Still not all that excited for this. Granted it F2P so not like much hype is needed, but still...a online only RTS with no singleplayer or skirmish co-op (yet) really doesnt interest me in the slightest. RTS PvP never has. I still think this is just a move to compete with End of Nations.

It's too bad people cannot boycott this F2P game and also should have called this future C&C game an epic fail already. Only two factions to play (GLA vs EU) = mediocre = another Tiberium Alliances with only two factions to play.

Edited by zocom7

It's too bad people cannot boycott this F2P game and also should have called this future C&C game an epic fail already. Only two factions to play (GLA vs EU) = mediocre = another Tiberium Alliances with only two factions to play.

C'mon! How many factions have you got in 1st Command and Conquer? How many in 1st Red Alert? And so on... Generals changed C&C mechanics by adding 3rd faction, but in most of time there were only 2 factions!

Also i wonder how you can call game "mediocre" while you haven't played it yet?

Not that it really matters, but Yuri's Revenge had three factions before Generals did.

As for C&CF2P only having two, it is because Generals had three than its sequel should also have at least three. This is also justification for calling it mediocre before even playing it, we already know they are intending on delivering us a partial game.

Not that it really matters, but Yuri's Revenge had three factions before Generals did.

As for C&CF2P only having two, it is because Generals had three than its sequel should also have at least three. This is also justificaton for calling it mediocre before even playing it, we already know they are intending on delivering us a partial game.

Do i have to mention popular RA2:YR rule on WOL servers "No Yuri" and whole imbalance? ;)

Strange argument, 'coz this game is something totaly different... but, ok i fully understand whole "whine action" against BioWare Victory based on erroneous argument, that new C&C should have be similar to archaic applications from 2003.

I would like to mention, that many of C&C fans in 2003 said same things against C&C Generals. So i just give game a chance untill i will have constructive reasons to be against such... facilities to gameplay.

Edited by Traymen

Do i have to mention popular RA2:YR rule on WOL servers "No Yuri" and whole imbalance? ;)

...which is not actually a written rule, but more of a players' preference?

Strange argument, 'coz this game is something totaly different... but, ok i fully understand whole "whine action" against BioWare Victory based on erroneous argument, that new C&C should have be similar to archaic applications from 2003.

We want mechanics that were proven many times to have worked splendidly. Blizzard made barely any changes to the core gameplay in StarCraft II, thus continuing working on the formula they've had since '94, and the people loved it. Is this what you'd call a big step backwards?

Here's a rough English text based translation from the video......

can you please tell me about new game Command and Conquer, why is the game called simple CnC?

we planning to make CnC into real gaming service which can last some time. we want to imerge players into the game

world and to unlock all the universe of command and conquer. the game will look like red alert or generals but will be

something of the both. we decided to open a generals branch and then open other branches

is it true that new command and conquer will be free to play and what does it mean to players?

it simple means that anybody can play command and conquer you don't have to buy it in the shop or online

and anybody can try it. we want that new type of players could submerge to new CnC Universe and free to play is the right way to do it.

will the be the shop in the game for the miro-translations?

yes it will be and we planning to make such a shop but the game itself will be free to play. so it means you can play CnC

as much as you like and free

what can you buy in the shop?

in this time i cant say what will be in the shop because right now we researching the possibilities. we currently testing

new things. if our customers would like new product we always can see in to it

when is the release date?

again, up to this time i cant say the exact launch date. just like any other online services our game will be launched by

the stages so we can have certain level of quality. we planning start with the closed beta which anybody can be part of it

by visiting site command and conquer right now

so when does closed beta start?

again i cant tell you the exact date but if you visit the site you can be one of the first

what can be presented at the launch date?

in the beginning of the game there will be two factions in the series of generals EU v GLA but with time we are planning

to add another one

and at last can you please tell something to the russian gaming community?

we waiting for you in the new game of command and conquer which will use frostbite 2 engine with realism of BF3

come there will be some fun

thank you for the interview

Found it here http://www.commandan...ll=1#post117118

Completely irrelevant. Yuri had three factions first. And the "No Yuri" rule is as stupid as the "No France", "No Korea", or any other faction exclusion rule I've seen in multiplayer games. If you're any good, you should be able to counter any faction.

I would like to mention, that many of C&C fans in 2003 said same things against C&C Generals.

What "same things" are we talking about here? That it shouldn't be free to play? Have only two factions? I wasn't very active in the community back in 2003, but I thought the big complaint was that Generals wasn't Tiberium or Red Alert.

Oh no, Sonic, tell me you didn't just post that AWFUL translation!

Here, mostly the same, with better English and without any weird non existent additions in the first question (again, better English):

1. Tell us about the new game C&C. Why is it called just Command & Conquer?

A: We plan to turn it into a real gaming service that will last for a long while.

We want players to get familiarized with the game world and ultimately expand to all the C&C universes.

The game [Meaning the Service] doesn't focus on any specific plot line, say only Generals or RA.

But will, ultimately, contain all of them. We've decided to start with Generals and in the future expand to the other plots.

2. Is it true that the next C&C is Free to Play? What does it mean to Players?

A: Simply put, anyone can play C&C. You won't have to buy the game in a physical or digital store.

Anyone who'd want, will be able to try out this game. We want a whole new generation of gamers to dive into the universe of C&C.

And Free 2 Play is a great way to accomplish that.

3. Will there be a Microtransaction Store within the game?

A: That's right, we plan to make such a store. However the game itself will be free 2 play, so anyone will be able to play it.

4. And what would that store have to offer?

A: At this point in time, I can't say exactly what the store will sell, since we are currently studying various possibilities and options.

We are constantly checking for new ideas and options, and if our clients, the player, will want specific options or things to buy, we'll always be open to consider and add such things.

5. When is the launch planned for?

A: I can't say exactly when the launch will be, however as most online services, the launch will be in several stages, so as to meet a certain must have goal of quality.

We plan to start with a closed Beta, which anyone who fills out the form on the site might participate in.

6. When will the closed beta start?

A: Again, I can't say exactly, but if you register today, you'll be one of the first.

7. What is planned in the game for launch?

A: First the game will contain two factions from Generals, EU vs GLA.

However, with time, we plan to add a new faction.

Oh no, Sonic, tell me you didn't just post that AWFUL translation!

Well how's he supposed to know it wasn't good? He acquired it from elsewhere and had to trust whoever translated it to have gotten it right.

Yuri is an add-on which was released on very "rush hour". I never had opportunity to play as Yuri in MP, 'coz every single time i got banned for takin' this faction. Speeders "Mental Omega" is far better balanced than Westwood YR.

What concerns Generals and whine from 2003 - same situation is here. First of all, you don't have to pay for a game. Secondly, new factions are totally optional, but we will se how balanced they'll be. From right on i cannot say a bad word against EA, 'coz noone in Community knows how gameplay looks like. I just want to give this game a chance.

Edited by Traymen
  • Downvote 1

Yuri is an add-on which was released on very "rush hour".

Everything made after RA: Aftermath was rushed.

I never had opportunity to play as Yuri in MP, 'coz every single time i got banned for takin' this faction.

Banned =/= kicked out of the room. As Nmenth said, people just tend to make their own childish little ways. This is a preference, not a rule.

Speeders "Mental Omega" is far better balanced than Westwood YR.

That's a mod, not a game. It is irrelevant to this topic.

What concerns Generals and whine from 2003 - same situation is here.

Nope. I wasn't there in 2003, but I can assume that people bitched about Generals being made by EA instead of Westwood. People like that still exist (residing mostly on Youtube), and we're not among them. We do not hate EA for not being Westwood, we hate them for the decisions they make. They seem to listen to the fans' wishes and throw them out of the window with this F2P **** that rarely works out properly. The trouble is that whenever EA experiments on its own with games created by other (older) studios, things don't turn out that well.

(for the record, we = the part of the community that is enraged with C&CF2P, with myself among them)

First of all, you don't have to pay for a game.

That doesn't mean we can't criticize it based on the information we currently have.

From right on i cannot say a bad word against EA, 'coz noone in Community knows how gameplay looks like. I just want to give this game a chance.

Aren't P2W and the absence of singleplayer a good indication on what the game should look like? The game's officially called "Command & Conquer", for crying out loud. And I don't know about you guys, but I only accept one game with that name.

Plokite... I noticed that you, again, managed to slip in the phrasing of P2W.

Why?

Based on what saying or evidence or logic?

The game is NOT called C&C.

The Service is called C&C. The Service will then contain various installments.

Why?

EA's history. There is currently no evidence that EA won't turn it into P2W other than their word (which is about as reliable as a parachute made entirely out of osmium).

Why?

And based on what evidence or logic do you expect your precious EA to do otherwise?

The game is NOT called C&C.

The Service is called C&C. The Service will then contain various installments.

Same ****. It's a product that will carry the name of the 1995 title that brought us all here. They're sending a message like this: "You liked C&Cs from 1995 to 2009? Well that's great. Let us bring you something that will destroy everything the franchise by rebooting it in a way we see fit (as your complaints are "very" important to us)".

And based on what evidence or logic do you expect your precious EA to do otherwise?

My precious EA?

Sorry, but that question of yours is completely irrelevant.

I was remarking on your use of P2W as a done fact in your attempt to prove that the game already looks bad or indicate as much.

You are using completely fabricated speculation to indicate something??????

How does that work, exactly?

Further more, same goes for the SP remark.

But, I will still answer your irrelevant question - I'm basing this on the fact that they are talking about e-sports. Something that can NOT have P2W!

Might be a non competitive mode with P2W. I'm personally fine with that. But as long as they put esports as a goal, I don't think there's much to worry about.

I'm also basing this on the fact that this is not an afterthought move on EA's part. They talked about Games as Service a E3 this year. Heavily.

And if anything, then this is the first time that C&C is not just a side product, but part of the company wide strategy, which includes all their biggest franchises. Which is the exact opposite of what they did when they forced C&C4 on Arena.

Same ****. It's a product that will carry the name of the 1995 title that brought us all here. They're sending a message like this: "You liked C&Cs from 1995 to 2009? Well that's great. Let us bring you something that will destroy everything the franchise by rebooting it in a way we see fit (as your complaints are "very" important to us)".

No, it's not the same ****.

A service is not just a game.

If you'd like to actually understand and not go on a tangent, I refer you to EA's E3 2012 press conference . THey talked about what that means a lot.

I would like to end this flood of posts full of anger and hate against other opinions. We all want the same - good, classic C&C game.

I am not entirely sure, but EA have only one (?) F2P game called Battlefield: F2P. I have never played it, so i can't give any feedback about how does it work, but the same i can't say about this game. Our knowledge is restricted by "leaks" and very limited news publications.

Until I won't see some "beta" or full gameplay movie, i won't say a bad word about this title.

Sorry, but that question of yours is completely irrelevant.

You asked me a similar (but opposite) question and now you find it irrelevant? Hmmmm...

And if anything, then this is the first time that C&C is not just a side product, but part of the company wide strategy, which includes all their biggest franchises.

Notice the double meaning in this?

Which is the exact opposite of what they did when they forced C&C4 on Arena.

I sure as hell hope so.

I'm also basing this on the fact that this is not an afterthought move on EA's part. They talked about Games as Service a E3 this year. Heavily.

(...)

If you'd like to actually understand and not go on a tangent, I refer you to EA's E3 2012 press conference . THey talked about what that means a lot.

Stress on the word "talk". It's easy to talk about something, but hard to accomplish it.

I am not entirely sure, but EA have only one (?) F2P game called Battlefield: F2P.

I know of another. And I don't think it remained popular all that long.

I've explained why it's irrelevant.

In the next sentence.

My own question was directed at that one issue. Again, to remark on the usage of unfounded, baseless speculation to sustain an indication.

And no, I don't see the double meaning there. Please enlighten me.

I am not entirely sure, but EA have only one (?) F2P game called Battlefield: F2P. I have never played it, so i can't give any feedback about how does it work, but the same i can't say about this game. Our knowledge is restricted by "leaks" and very limited news publications.

EA has a whole bunch of free 2 play (play 4 free) games: Battlefield P4F, Battlefield Heroes, NFS World, Wrath of Heroes, etc. http://www.play4free.com/

NFS World is pure p2w game. BF P4F and BF Heroes are not p2w but they're very close to that formula.

Edited by mirza044