Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

Two things that still need some work in RA1

There are two things that still need some work in RA1:

1. The installer

Both SonarPulse and Alex06 are working on RA1 installers to work on all versions of Windows as well as an installer tool that can merge main.mix files altogether into one. But the other thing that has yet to be integrated into RA1 is the RA1 Lost Files from RA1 Retaliation that has the other video files for Counterstrike and Aftermath. The testing beta version of Arda..... needs an update.

2. Running RA 3.03 patch with no-cd, high-resolution support for movies and in-game, and full sidebar

So far Vistha is one of the two users to apply both of these to work. However, even though RA1 is cracked and can be played without a disc, it doesn't work on another partitioned hard drive with a different OS when the original RA1 is installed into that current OS on that partitioned hard drive because of the registry and the files that are needed to be played. But C&C1, C&C Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 can. As for the RA1 movies, they need to be stretched out to max resolution, just like what Nyerguds did in C&C1. As for that CnC-DDraw into RA1, I expect that to work similar to what Nyerguds did to C&C1. The last time I tried running RA1 v3.03 with CnC-DDraw winded up crashing the game.

The only file I don't have to worry about is the combined main.mix file (modified with the RA1 Mix Editor for DOS) because it works on all recent versions of RA1.

Edited by zocom7

i thought alexb already added support for lostfiles on arda :/

Combine The Lost Files and Arda

Arda does not include the additional The Lost Files videos itself. You can download The Lost Files from the internet freely.

To enable the additional videos, just copy the mix files included with The Lost Files (TLF-MOVS.MIX and TLF-MISS.MIX) to the game folder and rename them to SC-MOVS.MIX and SC-MISS.MIX respectively.

You should vist redalert1.com and redalert95.tk ... ra1 does not need any registry keys anymore :)

But the full sidebar is really needed, it currently exist in arda only and its not possible to play with it online since no one use arda online :( Already asked alexb about it, but hes not really interested in doing anything for the online gamers :( I hope Vistha continues his work, there is plenty of players on cncnet and its getting more and more and we really need some improved high res

Hi FunkyFr3sh,

please mind that you are getting Arda for free. Requests like "Don't do X, because we have other requirements" and "Remove feature Y, because RA becomes incompatible to people playing without Arda", aren't really things I'd like to consider, because they eliminate the fun I have coding Arda. It's not like I'm locking players out, but why should I try to please people who don't even use Arda? Is it my fault they don't use it? I wouldn't gain a damn thing if they would.

"Not interested in doing anything for the online gamers"? Really? They are free to download it also, but I won't feed it to them. I don't even remember when I talked to any of the online players in the last few months.

In the last weeks I found out what most of the important functions and do and what most of the fields in the classes are about. I succeeded to add new stuff to savegames and to send arbitrary network events. Even before the last update I worked on the AI. It's fun to push around bytes like this. Nothing of this is what online players find remotely interesting.

I specifically marked Arda as being incompatible so it wouldn't collide with non-Arda players. Sure I could rip out all the new stuff and create a compatible version for online play. It could contain hi-res + longer sidebar + the health-on-mouse-over. Then it would be more like a cheat, because players using Arda got an unfair advantage. I could even add auto-repair, map reveal, activate all spy effects, and whatnot without other players noticing. The only thing that wouldn't work is the bugfixes, because if one player doesn't use Arda, the game would still be over. This really isn't what I had in mind. For fairness reasons, Arda should be incompatible to the original version, even if it added of the "real" cheats.

Aside from this rant, Arda already supports the TLF videos, and it is multi-language, even if only the 3,3 MB package is used. It doesn't require the registry keys like CStrikeInstalled, because they can be read from an INI file.

Oh and when you mentioned that you worked on the AI what do you mean by that? Is it about that one suggestion that they should build nuke silo's? :P

Possibly that or more. Who knows... ;)

I removed the aircraft check to build a radar more quickly.

• Upvote 1

Possibly that or more. Who knows... ;)

I removed the aircraft check to build a radar more quickly.

thumbsups.png

This is excellent news. For too long has the AI sat around with it's thumb up its ass waiting for players to use aircraft before bothering with the second half of the tech tree! The only thing really missing now (unless I've missed it) is the 'AI Paranoid' flag being re-enabled for Skirmish/Multiplayer. That could really stir things up in a LAN game.

As long as the Paranoid is optional... Sometimes I enjoy a Free For All game of AI Players! ^^ And hopefully we can properly ally with them for 3vs3's or 2vs2's in skirmish! :D