Sign in to follow this  
Nmenth

Cartoon and Conquer #41

Guest Rabbit

I really liked this one. In general, I am entertained by comic situations where the enemy doesn't kill each other, they just put up with each other.

Not to ruin a good joke or anything, but since you brought it up, I'll elaborate a little...

In the original script, the Rocket Soldier said "Shooting each other at this range would get messy, so stay on your side." I thought it made the punch line too long and detracted from the joke, so I combined his last words in with the Infantryman's and dropped the explanation.

If they met on the battlefield, they would happily kill each other and sleep well that night. However, on their own time when not taking orders from higher command, most of them don't really feel bothered to put forth the effort. Kind of like the Christmas truces of World War I, the troops themselves don't really hate each other that much, they just follow orders and kill when they are told to.

Ultimately, they can't kill each other as this is a linear comic where death would be permanent, so I wouldn't kill off one of the characters without a long story arc to go with it and a good reason to get rid of the character. Also, the purpose of this comic is to be funny, not elicit pathos, so it would be difficult to kill one of the cast and still make people laugh without doing injustice to the character.

If they met on the battlefield, they would happily kill each other and sleep well that night. However, on their own time when not taking orders from higher command, most of them don't really feel bothered to put forth the effort. Kind of like the Christmas truces of World War I, the troops themselves don't really hate each other that much, they just follow orders and kill when they are told to.

Theirs not to reason why,

Theirs but to do & die.

:)

On a totally unrelated issue, Nmenth your comics are sexist. You are discriminating against the female gender, if you don't add more positive female role models soon, feminists will descend from the heavens....

And they're be those fat ugly lesbian feminists, not the cute naive lithe ones. ;)

Nmenth your comics are sexist. You are discriminating against the female gender, if you don't add more positive female role models soon, feminists will descend from the heavens....

I thought about female, non-Caucasian, and left-handed characters, but you can blame the games for that. It's not my fault all their soldiers are right-handed white males (and the occasional female they throw in is far from non-sexist). I sometimes think one or more of the always-masked infantry are non-white, but since they never take their helmets off, it can never be confirmed.

Also, I will not submit to politically correct tokenism.