Sign in to follow this  
dollyriva

Cannot install patch 1.03 - 4 on Win 7

Installed TFD minus Renegade.

Downloaded 1.03 rev 4. Disabled user accounts/anti-virus. When I click it to run and then click start installation I get this error: 'Cannot install this program a required file is missing'.

I tried re-downloading it 3 times on 2 different browsers. Tried different hosting sites. Have put the installer in the same director as the C&C and outside. TFD is not installed on 'C:\Program Files' but on another HD under D:\EA Games.

System is Win 7 64-bit Professional.

Any suggestions?

attached screen shot.

post-9052-0-03731300-1353120572_thumb.jpg

That message would indicate a corrupt download.

You said you tried have you tried downloading from different sources, so I'm not really sure how it has happened this many time.

System is Win 7 64-bit Professional.

Might be the catch. May sound funny, but try to run the patch installer in compatibility mode for WinXP.

I have had no troubles in 32 or 64 bit windows 7. Try running as admin, and disabling UAC.

On another note, it works fine on 64 bit Windows 8 Pro.

Tried compatibility mode. Tried downloading to a flash drive and starting it from there. Downloaded it on Windows XP 64-bit through VMware and ran it on that OS. Disabled UAC.

It still gives that message "file missing". It is tooo quick to jump to that screen. I am out of ideas.

Figured out the problem. I have 2 hard drives on my computer: 1 SSD 128GB in the C: and 1 500GB in the D:. Had installed TFC on D: and when the patch was trying to run it could not locate the game because of that. I installed the game on the C: and it worked fine after that. Wish there was a way around that however because I would have preferred not to put it on the D:.

If you know how to use the registry, it should be sufficient to move the files where you want them and tweak the keys there.

Huh. The patch should work fine on a different disk. I never installed on the C drive.

Too bad, it doesnt even work for me, I tried disabling UAC, Compatibility mode, running as administrator, putting it into the root folder of TS, what else should WE do? And how the underworld can a few people NOT have this problem?

what do i have to edit in regedit to get this install working? ive got the exact same problem. dont want to install games on my ssd. all games are on a different hdd

8 hours ago, knifepo1nt said:

what do i have to edit in regedit to get this install working? ive got the exact same problem. dont want to install games on my ssd. all games are on a different hdd

If the game files are exactly where the installer placed them, then you don't need regedit. Just run the 1.03 patcher as administrator.

Thanks for the reply. I'm running the 1.03 rev 4 patcher, as admin, getting the same issue as above (Cannot install the program, a required file is missing). the game is installed on my F drive, windows is on C. ive been trying to follow the guide on this site

Reinstall TFD.