Sign in to follow this  
Iran

Looking for custom maps and missions (packs)

I'd like to make a compilation of everything Red Alert 1 related, and as part of that I'd like to collect all custom maps and missions ever made for Red Alert 1.

Edited by Iran

Aye it has a lot of missions and map (packs), but site hasn't been updated in almost 10 years now?

There hasn't exactly been a productive mapping community for RA1 in the past 10 years...

I am making a build system for RA at https://github.com/Sonarpulse/CnC-Red-Alert The default branch you see is my mixer project, but that is just the first step. I will use that with some makefiles so I can assemble the mix and patch red alert in one fell swoop. From there it should be easy to use git to manage community content.

Thanks, I was already planning to use version control. The simple plan is to have two separate repos for multiplayer maps and missions, with every map under it's own folder alphabetically, except for maps that are popular and have many variations. A folder structure like this:

Alphabetical -> A -> Alphine Blabla
Popular -> P4 -> P4 2k12

Where the final folder for a map contains a preview image, text file with author's description if any, the actual map file, and a text file with my description including what modded settings are used.

One annoyance is that getting a full map preview requires running a VM in a custom high resolution so the whole RA-ED screen is filled, then making a screenshot.

I will start working on this once the essential features I want to add to my patch are completed, once I patch cnc-ddraw so the video resize hack works for Red Alert 1 properly, once my config tool is updated in accordance with my patch and once my custom build is done. My custom build is pretty much done though and the config tool only needs 6 or so hours of work.

Writing the patch itself is harder but I'm pretty close to finishing my essential features. Including having custom missions display in the in-game menus if a command-line switch is used, I just need to find the place where the game loads the actual map to play for the Counterstrike and Aftermath missions dialog, I already modified the Counterstrike menu so it displayed the names of the custom missions I want etc, but I wasn't aware it uses a separate system to load the actual maps. :/

Sounds good! Do you overwrite your history in your fork of 3.03p? If not I will try to pull your changes into my repo.

BTW your fork isn't currently listed as a fork on github. You may want to change that for neatness's sake (or I am just OCDing).

Aye, I'll properly fork it once I'm ready to merge features back into hifi's patch.

Okay, thanks to FunkyFr3sh's help I'm able to make full screen map previews. A few maps from cnc-comm.com have been categorized. I have the following uncategorized maps:

-Everything from cnc-comm.com (not much)

-Maps from the Frenchy cncsaga 'Tactical Operations' un-official 'expansion'.

-Maps from the old Defcon 6 compilation cd.

-Maps from cncden.com

The project's page is located at:

https://github.com/I...chiving-Project

Here's an example of a map's folder:

https://github.com/I...e Villages v1.3

The RA Tech Center recently went down (ra.afraid.org), does anyone have a mirror for the files it has? :/

If you have any RA1 multiplayer maps or know where I can download more of them, please say so.

Edited by Iran

Hi, sadly that site doesn't mirror the map/mission downloads. :(

Wait what? ra.afraid.org is gone? :| Holy crap.

It has been down for 2 or 3 days now. :/

I should've saved that site ages ago. Knew not even that one would last forever -_-

Well I'm gonna assume at least a few people in the community has all the maps it had.

I'll see if I can contact PuMa or some of the other old RA1 fans.

Thank you that's appreciated, you've done so much for the RA1 community and continue to do so.

I've made map previews of all the original game's multiplayer maps (not including expansions), there's a ZIP you can download here for easy viewing:

https://dl.dropbox.c...ap Previews.zip

I'll be adding these to my project once I have a description for all of them.

Edit: Added them!

Edited by Iran

Red Alert Archive (ra.afraid.org) is online again!

Well, then let's back it up! It's downtime should be a warning to us. The thing is hosted by dynamic DNS anyways.

All that needs to be backed up are the files on it, archive.org has the site itself archived. Still would be nice to have backups for that other stuff.

Iran, are you looking for missions and campaigns to integrate in your patch in the future? I have a campaign thats maybe 90% finished ive been working on since '05. It is a Mod/Campaign though so not sure how that would work.

Not integrated but as a bonus feature hosted on the site and as option for the 170~ MB installer there.

So Iran, you're doing what Chimas is also doing on C&C95, putting all custom made mission maps by other players into one huge pack, so they can be playable in one pack. I thought about going for this too, but that time has come and gone for me.

Since it's been too long (last time I checked), I haven't heard of an update for this custom mission pack lately.