Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

Is it necessary to buy a 4GB video card?

I highly doubt if there is a PC game today requiring at least 1 GB of 3D video memory, except at the recommended level according to this other thread:

http://www.xtremesys...ry-at-1920x1200

I am certain that future games using Frostbite 2 Engine and Unreal Engine 4 may require 1+ GB of memory. IMO, GTA IV recommended video card should have at least 2 GB of VRAM.

My old GeForce 220 GT 1GB card was able to run most old game apps perfectly and smoothly at 1080p resoultion (even all Call of Duty and Half-Life games since they run on outdated game engines), except on Deus Ex Human Revolution, GTA IV and Company of Heroes which ran with some lags on 1080p resolution. Even there are some 4GB entry video cards such as the GeForce 640 and GeForce 630 have low pricing but they use DDR3 memory. A 4GB video card using GDDR5 memory is even better but more costly.

So the question is, is it really necessary to buy and use a 4 GB card? A 4GB video card on Windows XP is better than not getting exactly 4GB RAM in 32-bit systems. A 4GB video card on any recent Windows OS has unlimited possibilities.

Edited by zocom7

Until games actually require 4GB cards, you might want to save up money while playing with reduced graphics for a change.

No its just overkill for the sake of being over ****ing kill. 1GB video cards are more than sufficient for most purposes.

1GB is plenty for gaming but 2GB is a better margin for games these days. You really want to make the most of things.

if you are running a 3 monitor eyefinity / nvidia surround, then 4GB is a must for games like battlefield 3.

On ultra with only 2x AA it uses 2600MB of vram, it goes over 3GB at 4x AA. Again, this is a game resolution in excess of 5760 px

I'm pretty much sure the GT220 can barely saturate the 1GB VRAM.. With regards to topic; only buy GFX cards with high VRAM if said card is fast enough to utilize more (resolution and textures do play a role).. By the way, a GT630 is just a GT440.. If you want 2GB, get at least a card comparable to or faster than the GTX650Ti, anything less is generally a waste and the high VRAM is essentially a marketing gimmick (a GDDR5 512MB will beat, and is more costly than, a GDDR3 1 or 2 GB of the same graphics chipset)..

I have nVidia 450 GTS and it's enough for now.