Sign in to follow this  
Phillip Causey

Problem with CnC Ultimate Collection

My First Decade disk got broke, so i snagged CnC Ultimate off Origin, but when I try to launch CnC95 i get a program is not responding and crash to desktop.

Q6600

4gb DDR2

Windows 7 64bit

Any help would be appreciated, also just an off topic question does the TFD 1.04 patch work on this collection?

I don't think it's been adapted to the Origin version yet. My patch hasn't been, anyway... I'll really need to get on that -_-

Did you install my patch on it? It hasn't been specifically adapted to clean up the Origin version in the same way TFD needs to be cleaned up, but it should work on it nonetheless.

I see. This could be due to the fact the Origin version applies a global all-user compatibility mode on C&C95, which conflicts with the cnc-ddraw system I use (which doesn't work well with compat mode). The patch installer and config tool are made to disable normal, user-controlled compatibility mode, but that all-user crap can only be disabled through the Registry Editor.

You can probably get the game running by disabling CnC-DDraw, by opening CCSetup in the game folder and unchecking the checkbox.

Or, if you don't mind digging into the bowels of Windows, you can use regedit to disable the all-user compat mode on C&C95.exe. It should be in they key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers". Deleting the value corresponding to the path of the Ultimate Collection C&C95.exe there will probably do the trick.

I solved the issue, i got into storage and found my CnC 95 gold edition CD's and just installed it the old fashioned way lol.

Huh? The C&C95 installer doesn't run on 64 bit systems... it's a 16 bit program :|

Well, you never mentioned using a virtual machine.

This could be due to the fact the Origin version applies a global all-user compatibility mode on C&C95

Origin set different compatibility mode for each game. For C&C 95 it is "Windows 95", and also are signed "Run as Administrator" and "Limited colour set on 8-bit". Same settings for "RA 95" - probably due to same graphic engine.

However, i may add, that mods which uses own launcher don't work properly on EA platform. Windows won't show any information to encountered problem - just black screen.

You can probably get the game running by disabling CnC-DDraw, by opening CCSetup in the game folder and unchecking the checkbox.

It resolves the problem and patch runs on Origin. Thanks! :)

Origin set different compatibility mode for each game. For C&C 95 it is "Windows 95", and also are signed "Run as Administrator" and "Limited colour set on 8-bit". Same settings for "RA 95" - probably due to same graphic engine.

That's not the issue. Normally, compatibility mode is a user-level setting. Origin sets a global all-users version of it, however, and on XP there's no way to disable that without editing the registry directly. I believe Vista and higher do have an extra option under compatibility showing global compatibility settings.