Sign in to follow this  
Iran

PortableRA Beta

The latest commit.

Ok, before I set to work, if I were to do a git rebase so it's all one contiguous history would you use it?

"- When loading a saved mission when in-game and every-other subsequent load of a mission, the music does not play (random music option enabled, don't know if it makes a difference). The second, fourth, sixth load of a mission etc music plays fine."

Fixed, this was an issue with the game itself and how it starts playing songs when loading, the fact that the game normally always plays Bigfoot at the start of a match or after loading a game masked the issue.

"- Tanya can't C4 the tech centers on missions, only fires her pistols."

Seems to work fine for me in Allies mission 1, what mission is this and could you create a savegame?

"- On allied missions with enemy AI sub-pens if you capture a SP so the AI has no naval buildings, the constant sonar pulse thing happens (not sure if this is really a bug)"

This should only happen when the AI has no other buildings. Is this the case?

"- Poor mission description in final soviet mission"

What needs to be changed? The idea is that you destroy the Radar Domes, then attempt to capture the Chronosphere (which will blow up) and then destroy all Allied stuff. The part with the Chronosphere blowing up is part of the game's plot though the blowing up itself is pretty random and confused me at first too.

"- Enable beta tesla tank in counterstrike missions only (would love this)"

Don't' really see the point in this as you can just enabled/disable the beta Tesla Tank option when needed. You can modify 'betateslatank.mix' inside 'redalert.mix' and remove ttank.shp to do this yourself.

"- Enable helicarrier in AI skirmish

- Enable phase transport in AI skirmish

- Enable parabombs in AI skirmish"

Can already be done with RULES.INI or AFTERMATH.INI mods. I added a RULES.INI setting to enable parabombs:

46. Added a new RULES.INI keyword ParabombsInMultiplayer= (yes/no) under the [General] section, when enabled it will make parabombs available in multiplayer (by default after an Airfield is bought).

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Iran

Ok, before I set to work, if I were to do a git rebase so it's all one contiguous history would you use it?

No.

These issues are all with V303P-I Beta 1v1 btw

"- Tanya can't C4 the tech centers on missions, only fires her pistols."

Allies Mission 3, the one with Tanya and the arty. The Technology centers are the 'three domed' buildings. Save game (should be right one) attached. Issue could be linked to the mission (Tanyas Tale?) where you send the spy into a Tech center to free Tanya and you see Tanyas pistol 'impacts' on the tech center as she kills people inside - just before it's C4'd.

"- On allied missions with enemy AI sub-pens if you capture a SP so the AI has no naval buildings, the constant sonar pulse thing happens (not sure if this is really a bug)"

This should only happen when the AI has no other buildings. Is this the case?

No, AI had a secondary base across the river with CY, REF and WF. Its Allies mission 12, the one where you spawn with 2 MCVs and you must clear the way for the allied navy to move up the Volga river and take out a bunch of TCs with SAMs on a small spit of land near the top. I have no save game for this though.

"- Enable beta tesla tank in counterstrike missions only (would love this)"

Don't' really see the point in this as you can just enabled/disable the beta Tesla Tank option when needed. You can modify 'betateslatank.mix' inside 'redalert.mix' and remove ttank.shp to do this yourself.

"- Enable helicarrier in AI skirmish

- Enable phase transport in AI skirmish

- Enable parabombs in AI skirmish"

Can already be done with RULES.INI or AFTERMATH.INI mods. I added a RULES.INI setting to enable parabombs:

Yea I understand ini editing myself, I just though for your average joe who can't be arsed using notepad these would be little helpful additions that may otherwise go unnoticed.

As for the beta TT in the CS missions, is there a way to edit a separate ini file for a given mission and change the "image" tag similar to adding special rules for multi-player maps? This is why I thought the option would have been easy to implement.

Only other issues that spring to mind;

- On the mission map select screen (map with red/blue and attacking arrows) the mouse cursor starts off screen and takes some erratic movement to locate it.

- Print-screen gives a black image. (I remember there was a way to screen shot in-game, you just had to adjust the image with the games palette)

I'll keep reporting with more issues if they come up.

Edited by r34ch

Well did it anyways: https://github.com/Ericson2314/CnC-Red-Alert/commits/foriran you might not like it, but let's say hifi wanted to work on ra1 again. Restarting the version control history in this case defeats the purpose of version control.

Also, I noticed you don't have config.inc, imports.inc, and string.in in version control, yet they are needed to build. should I just use hifi's?

Edited by Sonarpulse

Tanya issue: Can't reproduce it with the savegame. Are you able to reproduce loading this savegame without playing any other maps first? I think this might be a memory corruption issue with a map modifying Tanya so she shoots buildings or w/e.

"- Print-screen gives a black image. (I remember there was a way to screen shot in-game, you just had to adjust the image with the games palette)"

If you're running CnC-DDraw press Ctrl+S and it makes a screenshot.

"- On the mission map select screen (map with red/blue and attacking arrows) the mouse cursor starts off screen and takes some erratic movement to locate it."

I'll fix this, noticed it before but I thought I fixed this already.

"As for the beta TT in the CS missions, is there a way to edit a separate ini file for a given mission and change the "image" tag similar to adding special rules for multi-player maps? This is why I thought the option would have been easy to implement."

Could you explain this? My apologies but I don't understand what you're trying to say.

"Yea I understand ini editing myself, I just though for your average joe who can't be arsed using notepad these would be little helpful additions that may otherwise go unnoticed."

That's true but on the other hand if they enable these options they can't play online which might confuse these same kind of people.

"No, AI had a secondary base across the river with CY, REF and WF. Its Allies mission 12, the one where you spawn with 2 MCVs and you must clear the way for the allied navy to move up the Volga river and take out a bunch of TCs with SAMs on a small spit of land near the top. I have no save game for this though."

If you feel like could you try reproducing this on this mission? Might also be that there are two Soviet teams on the map with different colour schemes but I have no idea.

I've updated my fork of your work (https://github.com/Ericson2314/CnC-Red-Alert/commits/foriran).

I fixed about 20 NASM warnings, re-committed the missing .inc files, and split the makefile into two to help separate the patch from the patcher as hifi desired.

Also, Is extpe used for anything in a normal build? It doesn't look like it.

Edited by Sonarpulse

It isn't. It was used before to extend the normal 3.03 EXE but it didn't work correctly so I'm using CCHyper's extended EXE for RA95.

Tanya issue: Can't reproduce it with the savegame. Are you able to reproduce loading this savegame without playing any other maps first? I think this might be a memory corruption issue with a map modifying Tanya so she shoots buildings or w/e.

When exiting the game and loading that mission, she can C4 just fine. It seems to happen between the first allied mission and the 3rd when playing through. (For reference, the tech center mission is the top attack arrow on the mission select map)

Could you explain this? My apologies but I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Ignore that, my grasp of the basic modding of the game is rusty. I just hope you change your mind on the beta TTs in cs only option :P

If you feel like could you try reproducing this on this mission? Might also be that there are two Soviet teams on the map with different colour schemes but I have no idea.

I have attached a save file. If you kill the last SAM on the island, all the subs are pinged. If you build a sub first though, this doesn't happen. I forget how I managed to have all subs pinged, including my own.

-I've also noticed the cursor icons (attack, repair, c4 etc) flickering more noticeably the slower the game speed. At normal speed the flicking is terrible, the C4 is most noticeable. At fastest speed the cursor icon doesn't seem to flicker.

And here is a crash dump after completing the alt allied 3rd mission (bottom on the mission map) - tanya with no arty

Edited by r34ch

On Allies mission 12 you're playing against both USSR and BadGuy, they use the same colour so you don't notice this. That's probably why it's messing up. I guess I should change the sonar pulse when a player only has vessels logic so it doesn't happen in single player?

Not sure what the issue with Tanya on that mission is. If you restart the mission (when you load the savegame and get the bomb cursor) you get the attack cursor, but I can'tfind any map settings that could cause this change in attack cursor.

Edited by Iran

Hello Iran will your Standalone Patch add INI Options to add new Weapons, Warheads and Projectiles? What about Wall Placement? Will you change it so, that you can build walls faster?

Keep up the good work! :)

Hello Iran will your Standalone Patch add INI Options to add new Weapons, Warheads and Projectiles? What about Wall Placement? Will you change it so, that you can build walls faster?

Keep up the good work! :)

Neh I won't.

FunkyFr3sh gave me a test map where you play as Soviets and get a Tanya with an enemy Technology Center on the map...the attack cursor still apears. Looks like the behavior is hard-coded but doesn't work if a map is loaded from a savegame for some reason.

Edited by Iran

Just ignore the numbering.

I made the automatic sonar pulse when a team only has submarines only be applied in multiplayer. I also added a fix for a game crash while calling TechnoClass::What_Weapon_Should_I_Use().

I reverse engineered Arda's infantry range exploit fix and the fix for the ore mine not spreading ore directly below the cell it occupies (because it uses the C&C1 Blossom Tree foundations). These fixes won't be enabled because they desync online but might be enabled for CnCNet v5 probably and maybe skirmish.

I know what causes the Tanya issue, I'll see about fixing it.

I've also reverse engineered Arda's fixes for the instant Service Depot repair exploit, building crew leaving a building one cell too high for Tesla Coil and Iron Curtain and exploits with naval yards/sub pens to an extent where I can make my own copies.

Edited by Iran

I made the AI build naval in multiplayer:

Z3aF3Ee.png

Pretty useless as the AI doesn't use naval units.

Added a fix for what FunkyFr3sh calls 'magic build'. Essentially the fix is for this exploit:

; Fixes exploit where the game doesn't refresh whether build location is buildable if you don't move mouse cursor while trying to place a building
; Allowing you to build on a spot that's no longer in proximity as long as you don't move your mouse cursor

Just a couple mission specific 'bugs' this time. In soviet mission 9 on Elba Island (the lower one on the map select screen, save game attached) the allies have a load of flamethrowers for some reason. It looks like they can build them from their barracks.

JOZjIgP.png

I also hear the chain-link fence crush sound, yet none are on the map?

- I've noticed you can't force fire on ore

- The new sandbag crush sound sounds like the concrete wall crumbling sound. Can you use the C&C95 sandbag sound instead?

- Is it possible to 'fix' parabombs and paratroopers? The area you click your cursor is the where the last rifle man / parabomb will land. Is it possible to make the 'middle' bomb / infantry land where the cursor is?

As another luxury feature, when currently selling vehicles on the repair depot they must they be damaged. Is it possible to disable that check?

Finally a crash dump. It was after completing soviet mission 9 and alt tabbing just before the FMV. IIRC when I alt tabbed back, the winning FMV completed and the game crashed just after.

Edited by r34ch

I finished code to allow players to build off allies. This will not be included but it will probably be included with CnCNet v5.

"Just a couple mission specific 'bugs' this time. In soviet mission 9 on Elba Island (the lower one on the map select screen, save game attached) the allies have a load of flamethrowers for some reason. It looks like they can build them from their barracks."

Probably just how the original map works. On one of the Soviet missions you get 2 APCs loaded with units too (it's the mission where you need to pass a bridge with Convoy Trucks).

"I also hear the chain-link fence crush sound, yet none are on the map?"

I fixed the sound for it, might have something to do with it.

"- I've noticed you can't force fire on ore"

Can't do that with the original game either I'm afraid. Pretty dumb if you ask me.

"- The new sandbag crush sound sounds like the concrete wall crumbling sound. Can you use the C&C95 sandbag sound instead?"

The sound I'm using was probably intended for that, it's filename is telling me. I'll check out the C&C95 sandbag sound.

"- Is it possible to 'fix' parabombs and paratroopers? The area you click your cursor is the where the last rifle man / parabomb will land. Is it possible to make the 'middle' bomb / infantry land where the cursor is? "

Probably not, you could ask CCHyper for it. The current logic is really annoying yes.

"As another luxury feature, when currently selling vehicles on the repair depot they must they be damaged. Is it possible to disable that check?"

That's a pretty stupid check, I'll see about removing it but I will only enable this logic in skirmish, because the game will desync with 3.03 online. I'll have to find the check first though.

The crash you had is probably CnC-DDraw related, the game tried reading from a buffer for some graphics frame buffer stuff but the pointer was NULL. I've seen this crash only one time before (from another crashdump submitted) and I'll add a check that might fix this crash. Thanks for sending it to me.

Thanks for the feedback, I already fixed a few things you mentioned and I'm looking into a few more things. Sadly I don't have the time at the moment to implement most of your feature requests as I'm kinda busy fixing various issues here and there and I'd like to get a patch released soon.

Edited by Iran

Probably just how the original map works. On one of the Soviet missions you get 2 APCs loaded with units too (it's the mission where you need to pass a bridge with Convoy Trucks).

True. I guess I can understand soviet APCs / chinooks as they're transports, I think there are a couple soviet missions that have them. I just hate how it seems a daft WW oversight to include allied flamethrowers in one mission without any clear purpose.

Don't worry about features and minor bugs etc, just posting them for reference as I play through.

Another odd (intentional?) bug is soviet mission 11, overseer. If you capture the allied repair depot you cannot repair the heavy tanks. You can however repair the migs and yaks.

Edited by r34ch

Also, I think we should move this thread (and Arda) to the command and patch sub-forum, as we clearly are finally getting a definitive fan patch for Red Alert.

Also, I think we should move this thread (and Arda) to the command and patch sub-forum, as we clearly are finally getting a definitive fan patch for Red Alert.

I agree, once Iran completes his first standalone release maybe lock this thread and give a redirect to the new thread. Some details on the project as well as to the direction of the patch since i'm still a little confused myself about the entire situation. From what I gathered; currently bug fixes and features which won't desync with 3.03 - and once CnCNet v5 is online, all the Arda / AI skirmish ini features properly implemented into the one patch?

Anyways I just saw this list as well. I don't know what Iran / AlexB has addressed, so one place to keep everything up to date would be good.

Iran and AlexB should be upgraded to 'command and patch' users also :P

Edited by r34ch

I just fixed the issue where the casualties number in the single player score screen would be shown in the wrong colour for a side sometimes.

"Don't worry about features and minor bugs etc, just posting them for reference as I play through."

Please keep posting them, I didn't know about the Repair depot vehicle selling logic requiring the vehicle to be repaired. Just to be sure it's possible to place a fully repaired vehicle on the service depot?

"Another odd (intentional?) bug is soviet mission 11, overseer. If you capture the allied repair depot you cannot repair the heavy tanks. You can however repair the migs and yaks. Save game attached."

Not sure if it's intentional but it's because the Heavy Tanks are team "BadGuy" (another Soviets team) which you have control over, while you play as USSR. I modified the map so the tanks are USSR and I'm able to repair them then. There's no reason for your team to be BadGuy in this mission so I assume it's intentional to not be able to repair on the Service Depot.

In other news, CnCNet reached a new player record a few hours ago with 166 players online on RA1, making it one of the most popular C&C games played online.

Yes, I want my my patch to be compatible with 3.03 online and I will add fixes that desync online to skirmish once I have the time. I hope CnCNet v5 will use my fixes.

Anyhow I'll see about releasing my patch stand-alone first, I'm gonna fix all the stuff I have on my todo list first (from the last few days) I was hoping to be able to release the patch itself by now but I guess I'll wait and get some more fixes in first.