Sign in to follow this  
Iran

PortableRA Beta

Tagaziel sometimes finds things out of nowhere. It is believed to be authentic.

Not really a bug I guess, but in CS Fall of Greece 2 - Evacuation the mission can be won by simply steamrolling the AI, rather than evacuating the civilians to the technology center. Also, the technology center doesn't have the attack cursor over it. This was on a first play of the mission.

Another question, Iran. Can PortableRA be run under Origin and C&C Ultimate Edition, even though the original RA is installed into those areas?

Waiting for some other people to do some fixes for me and I need to investigate a few things, FunkyFr3sh has been working on an external client for MP that uses IRC as protcol (kinda like how WOL and Wchat are modified IRC protocols), I need to add support for hifi's latest spawner code because of this.

Just a random screenshot.

RA0TCWk.png

Wow, desert camo missile silo <3

Allen262 (who also did the winter and desert theater conversions) made a fix for the Soviet mission 13A mission which is badly bugged. Could someone test it for me? Here's a download link:

http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2240.0;attach=2396

I might be able to add support for short game mode (from later C&C games). Myg is working on a tool that generates map previews, this is helpful for selectable spawn locations for Funky's external MP client.

Edited by Iran

Allen262 (who also did the winter and desert theater conversions) made a fix for the Soviet mission 13A mission which is badly bugged. Could someone test it for me?

Does it appear in the expansions area or do I have to load the save from the single-player. And if I load the save (from the bugged version), will it load properly?

Also short mode would be sick :3

Sexy progress.

Edit: Also if another background is needed

command_and_conquer_alerte_rouge_006.jpg

Edited by r34ch

Was the desert terrain included in Portable RA for map editing, Iran?

Not yet, the latest version I released contains the needed code but not the graphics files. I'm still testing them and I noticed an issue with the desert terrain (trees ghosting through shroud, kinda hard to explain). But yeah the standalone map editor I updated yesterday allows you to build DESERT and WINTER maps if you use the included, hacked RAED program that replaces TEMPERATE and INTERIOR support with those two theaters.

I'll release them with my next update.

r34ch: It's a replacement for the original mission. To have it appear in the custom missions menu rename it to something in between cmu0ea.ini and cmu999ea.ini

The launcher background is also used by Arda's launcher. I've found some of the original real life pictures of backgrounds used by Red Alert, I might use those.

Edited by Iran

Here's some more screenshots, a quick 2vs1 game in progress in skirmish on the new Desert map created by GiftS.
OxdDH5g.png
P7c1t3Z.png

2ERcF5i.png

Edited by Iran

Yea that mission works perfectly. Now could you fix the allies building flamethrowers in soviet mission 9 :P

Another bug - If selecting an enemy unit or structure and mousing over the minimap, you get the mini (no) movement cursor.

Iran does the new Desert Theater cause out of sync errors ?

@Bullet: No, but if you play with players who don't have support for it, their game will crash when the map is being loaded.

Did you get any Radar Dome crashes with my new EXE?

@r34ch: Sadly I don't understand how to fix this, I looked at this code before because if you have a Ore Truck selected and point your cursor over an Ore patch in the minimap it shows a "can't move" cursor too, instead of attack cursor (even though the Ore Truck will still harvest the Ore patch if you click on it with the minimap).

Nice to hear the fixed mission works, I'll add the fixed version right now.

Allen262 was able to fix the tree ghosting issue with the desert terrain.

Edited by Iran

Allen262 was able to fix the tree ghosting issue with the desert terrain.

Cool. Do you have an idea when the patch will come? Or do you update the dl link at your site with newer versions?

Probably 3-4 weeks from now. if you want to play/create desert maps I can upload the graphics MIX files, the latest version on my site (from a month or so ago?) already has the code support.

I forgot to reply to this:

"Not really a bug I guess, but in CS Fall of Greece 2 - Evacuation the mission can be won by simply steamrolling the AI, rather than evacuating the civilians to the technology center. Also, the technology center doesn't have the attack cursor over it. This was on a first play of the mission."

I think the mission briefing states this, I remember with my last play-through of the mission I also just destroyed the base and somehow knowing I didn't have to evacuate the civilians if I did just that.

BTW, thanks for spending so much time testing and the feedback. I appreciate it a lot.

I have a few things on my todo list which have been on it for a bit now and are easy to fix but require some help from other people (like the Technology Center cursor bug and invisible ant Queen). I took a small break the last few weeks but I'll start working on these things again. My problem ATM is lack of extensive testing, a lot of players that download my patched....game build just use it to play online and so things like the Ant Queen issue didn't show up.

There's two things I might take a look into:

-Adding a special GUI window to my launcher to support map making/editing more properly. With this I mean a simple system that will list a bunch of maps, allow you to create a new map with custom settings (size, theater, and common mod settings/triggers like infinite ore). When you supply a map name as command-line argument to RAED it will load the map, instead of the startup map list window, this makes it possible for my launcher to launch RAED with a selected map or newly created map quite easily :). I'd lalso ike to have my launcher load the correct RAED EXE, so DESERT and WINTER maps get loaded with the hacked RAED that supports those theaters, etc.. FunkyFr3sh already made a C# program which supports a bunch of this logic and released the source code for it.

-Writing a external client launcher for skirmish games: If Myg finishes his tool that creates map previews of maps (and shows the spawn locations) it would be worthwhile for me to write this. I'd need to add some code to force selectable difficulty and country settings per AI player and add support for Hifi's latest spawner code with "enhancements" to support RULES.INI settings and features my patch adds as additional options per match. Extra options like MCV Repack, normal Red Alert 1 build speed with Aftermath enabled, faster ore regrowth rate, short game, all RULES.INI AI settings(!), selectable object limit (e.g. 9999 instead of the default 500 for tanks) and other things. This would require no playing around with RULES.INI files, they would be match specific options (with an option to use the default, for when your RULES.INI or map modifies settings and/or you just don't care). The GUI for this external client will look a lot like the Yuri's Revenge skirmish screen, with more options. If I actually make it FunkyFr3sh's MP client could benefit from the code for the client.

Edited by Iran

Writing a external client launcher for skirmish games: If Myg finishes his tool that creates map previews of maps (and shows the spawn locations) it would be worthwhile for me to write this. I'd need to add some code to force selectable difficulty and country settings per AI player and add support for Hifi's latest spawner code with "enhancements" to support RULES.INI settings and features my patch adds as additional options per match. Extra options like MCV Repack, normal Red Alert 1 build speed with Aftermath enabled, faster ore regrowth rate, short game, all RULES.INI AI settings(!), selectable object limit (e.g. 9999 instead of the default 500 for tanks) and other things. This would require no playing around with RULES.INI files, they would be match specific options (with an option to use the default, for when your RULES.INI or map modifies settings and/or you just don't care). The GUI for this external client will look a lot like the Yuri's Revenge skirmish screen, with more options. If I actually make it FunkyFr3sh's MP client could benefit from the code for the client.

Awesome. I still haven't bothered to port forward my router so I just play AI skirmish and campaign. I remember in Retaliation for PSX there was a

of each map in the menu which was nice, but having the options of later C&C games would be awesome.

Hopefully one day you guys could pool clients and make a single all in one launcher. That'd be the holy grail of all this imho :D

Ah, well the actually creating a minimap bitmap thing isn't hard, it's just that I have no experience writing a bitmap before and doing operations like scaling it lol.

My client wouldn't compete with Funky's: Funky's is for online MP play and mine (if I write it) would be for offline skirmish play. I could simple add buttons for both to my launcher.

I fixed the invisible queen issue and also got the info to fix the issue cursor bug with Technology Center (won't take long), the fixed Soviet Mission 13 A has been included and the DESERT.MIX and WINTER.MIX files have been moved inside MAIN.MIX (they were loose in the folder before). I mentioned the misplaced tile issue on the last Soviet mission to Allen262, the other issues are probably not fixable (the bridge one also happens on a few Allies missions according to Allen262).

If anyone experiences this issue with the sidebar glitching up, please create a save game and check if reloading the savegame causes the sidebar issue to persist (after first loading another map and checking if sidebar is working again there). If the savegame has the bugged sidebar please upload it so I can attempt to debug it.

On the AM mission Time Flies, the AI builds waaaay too many ore trucks.

4IKndQN.png

Despite there being two REFs (none in the other AI base) the trucks clog up this one. You can see at least 11 here.

Also, in this mission there is the option of destroying or capturing the first radar dome.

If you choose to destroy it, you won't see the 'hidden' APPs and will have to attack the normal way. When you get to the second dome, you see an infantry unit (GNRL?) run to a chinook and get airlifted away. If you capture it, you can kill the 4 'hidden' APPs in the bottom left, which then automatically kills the second radar and SAMs, meaning the infantry unit wont spawn. If you shift to that island you will see the chinook still waiting.

What is the importance of that unit to the mission? If he lives, does the AI get more reinforcements or something?

I played that mission like a month or so ago and I didn't get the Ore Truck issue. This might be related to the GRNL.. Can you reproduce the Ore Truck issue? It's quite interesting, never heard of it before either.

Not sure what the importance of the GRNL is tbh, you can add a map reveal trigger to the mission and maybe you can notice something.

Edited by Iran

Ha its an awesome bug, here is the second play through, capturing the radar dome first again.

2xHEtf0.png

What you don't see are my demo truck reinforcements about to disembark and auto attack the enemy trucks, nuking half my base in the process :D

Edited by r34ch

When I try to merge my Original and Counterstrike mix data I get these conflicts:

http://pastebin.com/JRu4C3h9

So as you can see counterstrike changes the first missions of each campaign, and changes some videos. (tutorial.ini, mission.ini, and missions.pkg aren't really conflicts.) How should I handle this?

what are the changes between the first missions? I know bmap.vqa is different from normal Red Alert (and they forgot to include the right palette so the video shows up with glitched colors).

I checked the mission and I could find no significance to the GRNL escaping lol, the chinook he's in moves to the north east Soviet base. I checked the autocreate teamtypes and there was no maximum set for the Ore Truck trigger that creates 2 Ore Trucks once the Soviet base becomes active, it has the same priority as the other highest priority team types. I set a maximum of one of this teamtype being allowed to exist concurrently, maybe that fixes it.

Nice find, r34ch.

scg44ea.zip