Sign in to follow this  
Iran

PortableRA Beta

r34ch found new mission bugs. allen262 made some generic missing icon cameos so I have cameos for all infantry units, he also made bug fixes, and fixed some stuff for the DOS interface mod. Nyerguds MIGHT take a look into porting the RA1 DOS font for the interface mod. FunkyFr3sh has been doing some important work on his RA1 online program and I'm taking a small break.

My attempt to fix the Radar Dome crash didn't work so I'm trying out something more drastic, I'll see if the crash still happens when the animation that's played when the radar goes low power is disabled. I need to fix an issue with difficulty levels and the spawner and add some features that FunkyFr3sh wants.

Something that's bugged me since the first time I discovered it:

Would it be possible to locate what causes this issue and fix it? It might break 3.03 compatibility (in which case it could be an option much like forcing The Aftermath), but it can become incredibly annoying to be told that apparently my Spy Plane and Paratroopers are constantly and mysteriously unlocking some 'new' technology which was so hidden that I still can't see it on the Sidebar.

I've never had this before, what were you doing that might have caused it? Were you playing under any special options and does the same thing happen with previous patches of RA95?

No special options or modified rules or anything like that -- play as Allies in a Skirmish, and capture a Soviet Construction Yard. Build a Helipad and an Airfield (in either order -- you can even have the Helipad before capturing the ConYard), and then have fun being told "New Construction Options" time and time again!

It's been a problem with the game for as long as I can remember, even before V2.00; the first time I encountered it was during the Allied campaign after capturing an Airfield.

Can you make me a test mission for this bug?

-----

Some updates: I fixed some issues with the spawner code for FunkyFr3sh's lobby, I also added a few things for it like game statistics dumping into a file after a spawner game is done (with help from hifi's and similar code hifi used for doing this with the C&C95 spawner). I added some fixed missions made by Allen262 after r34ch reported issues. I also added the missing cameo icons, made by EchoLocation and Allen262. One thing I've noticed is that the cameo icons for the ant units suffer from weird graphical corruption when used ingame.

I fixed a few bugs with the code handling adding extra music and I re-enabled the logic where if a music file isn't found it isn't displayed in the in-game music list. The potential fix for the Radar Dome crash I enabled a while ago didn't work so I added code to disable an animation that might be responsible for the crash..

I need to fix a few AI issues (make them buy dogs and stuff) and add more code for spawner games (for FunkyFr3sh' lobby), and fix some other issues.

Can you make me a test mission for this bug?

Sure thing, here you go:

http://filesmelt.com/dl/AirbugTest.mpr

Skirmish map: set bases off, credits/units to 0, and use the pre-placed stuff to acquire income. There are some pre-built enemy Airfields on the map; you can capture those if the AI player isn't Soviet.

Edited by EchoLocation

EchoLocation the bug you reported is a pain in the dick to fix.

I fixed a bug that caused the sidebar to glitch up a bit; kinda hard to explain and there might be other sidebar related glitches. If this fix fixes all these sidebar glitches (which hamper gameplay) I only need to fix the radar dome crash and I've fixed all severe RA95 issues. I've integrated support for a DOS interface mod and all the mission fixes allen262 made, thanks to r34ch for reporting quite a few of them.

Edited by Iran

EchoLocation the bug you reported is a pain in the dick to fix.

I guessed as much :P

Thankfully it's not a severe enough issue to make the game crash though.

Well I made that post after working about 5-6 hours on it non-stop and I somehow figured out what was going on, I just tested it and it seems to confirm my suspicion. I got a patch but I don't know if it affects anything, one thing I've noticed is that Hinds and Transport Helicopters will spawn on or fly next to an Airfield when a Helipad is available; if you're allies in that situation that is.

Just to be sure, in the situation you described when you try to buy a Hind or Transport Helicopter, once it's ready it shows a "Ready" text over the cameo like what happens when there's no more room for a tank to exit any of a player's Weapons Factories? Cause that's what I'm getting at the moment.

I think this can desync with 3.03 online so I'll have to make sure I don't always apply this patch, just in single player, skirmish and in spawner games (the system Funky uses to start games).

Correct, and then clicking it again when 'ready' just cancels the build while responding with "unable to comply, building in progress".

I did some extra testing and the patch I did changed the game so if there's an open space on the Airfield, helicopters will spawn on that instead of the Helipad. Too much of a change IMO so I'll see if I can find another solution.

A small problem I have noticed, when installing portableRA it tries to create the Start Menu entry, however when I go to Start Menu there is no "Red Alert" folder? I am using Windows 7 32-bit. I thought the whole point of portableRA is being, you know, portable? Why even use the installer instead of .rar or .zip archive(like most portable apps do)? I am using portable applications and games on my work computer where we are not allowed to install anything, if I haven't noticed during the installer dialog about Start Menu entry and it would actually create it - it would get me into trouble, as I would just delete openRA folder from the desktop,leaving Start Menu entry behind :(

Also, are there any plans to make portableTD(Tiberian Dawn)? Great work by the way, I bought Ultimate Collection from Origin and RA from there keeps crashing, you did the better job than EA.

Edited by kebabpizza

I don't think RA1 uses registry entries at all. Try installing it on your home computer, copy the installed files on a USB stick and bring it with you to work (don't tell your boss I told you this ;) )

"PortableTD", although it does not exist under that particular name, can be found here.

It comes with both a ZIP and installer, the installer has al the other stuff you'd need to download as seperate ZIP files integrated (e.g. music) and is better compressed than the ZIP file. It's also easier to use for people not familiar with how computers work (broadly speaking).

Nyergud's TD doesn't use the registry either AFIAK. If you want to be really adventurous you can patch your own binary with the source at https://github.com/cnc-patch/ra303p (just run build.cmd). It's up to you to ensure your mix archives are correct, however, and well i doubt Iran or anybody else wants to "support" players who got the patch this way, if many were to do this.

Edited by Sonarpulse

Well, it installs the registry entries like the old game did, but the actual game never uses them. I think they were mainly there for Westwood Chat.

RA95 only uses registry entries for WOL, so you can just copy the game files around with no issue.

Actually RA 3.03 originally uses them to check if Counterstrike and The Aftermath are installed. I assume you had to hack that out.

You're right it did that, I completely forgot. Yeah It uses two REDALERT.INI keys now, one for each expansion.

Has anyone screen this radar info screen before?

red_alert-2013-05-27-20_18_55.png

Actually, yes. It reminds me a lot of the information you got when clicking a Radar Outpost in dune II :P

Isn't that just the info from sending a Spy into an enemy Radar Dome?

Edit:

Without actually having any Spies available? Sorcery!

Edited by EchoLocation

Wait, sending a spy into a radar dome does that? I thought it just revealed the map wherever that enemy scouted...

Yep. Not entirely sure if it does the same thing in missions (because usually you have to send Spies into some specific structure or whatever), but in Skirmish and other Multiplayer games you can check exactly what your enemy is up to. Can infiltrate several RD's and cycle through the info panels. Not an entirely useful feature, but pretty cool all the same.

Can't remember what happens if you destroy the RD after though.

Never knew about that, I'll have to try when I got some time. I figured this was some unused code.