Sign in to follow this  
Iran

PortableRA Beta

I know the enemy-exploring-for-you stopped when an infiltrated dome was sold or destroyed, so I assume the same applies to these info screens.

Just tested this radar nonsense on a craptastic test map vs 2 AI sides.

While visible enemy exploration is indeed cancelled, the info screens not only remain if the infiltrated Radar Dome is destroyed/sold, but also remain visible once any infiltrated side is defeated!

Edited by EchoLocation

Also, are there any plans to make portableTD(Tiberian Dawn)? Great work by the way, I bought Ultimate Collection from Origin and RA from there keeps crashing, you did the better job than EA.

Iran's version of Portable TD (or Portable C&C) is the closest he has done since it has the correct full sidebar (that Nyerguds did not fix in C&C v1.06c) but winds up having other issues/enhancements not fixed yet: http://cnc95.tk/

But however, I would recommend Nyerguds version of C&C v1.06c as of now since that version has most issues/enhancements fixed.

@Iran, for the next official release of PortableRA, any chance you would enable the following units to be played in a skirmish such as a Phase Transport and a Helicarrier and hopefully if the AI works with those units?

Edited by zocom7

You can use them with a modified AFTMATH.INI file, the AI uses Phase Transports.

cnc95.tk is FunkyFresh's, not mine.

Huh, he put your incomplete sidebar hack in there? :huh:

I don't get it, Iran. I thought you modified C&C95 with the complete sidebar and made it portable for the release, but the website is FunkyFresh's?

i made miniTD some time ago cause some people requested it :P Its using nyers patch, iran made the sidebar and mousewheel scrolling patch

I created the missing shp file for the highres sidebar yesterday, so it should be pretty complete now (no more graphical glitches)

Also, hifi added irans sidebar to his spawner version of cnc95 yesterday which means its now also working in the cncnet5 client

So something tells me pretty soon I want Nyerguds's C&C patch v1.06d one day if Iran's modified sidebar/mouse scroll feature is to be included. (along with hifi's modified sidebar resolution)

Edit: Yay, my 2100th post. ^_^

Edited by zocom7

I don't get it, Iran. I thought you modified C&C95 with the complete sidebar and made it portable for the release, but the website is FunkyFresh's?

Yea were can I get the sidebar version?

New suggestion, Iran. :idea:

Is is possible you could implement a keyboard function in-game to both C&C and Portable RA to speed up or slow down the game? Blizzard did that to the first three Warcraft games by simply pressing the "-" sign to slow down the game and "+" sign to speed up the game. No C&C game has that keyboard function implemented... ever. I never really like to get to the pause menu and change the game speed setting manually. Even all recent C&C games cannot change game speeds in-game unless you modify it in the skirmish menu which should apply to both campaign and skirmish.

However, if this were to happen in a MP game, whenever an online player speeds up or slows down the game with a keyboard function should apply the speed for that game be equal to both players.

Is is possible you could implement a keyboard function in-game to both C&C and Portable RA to speed up or slow down the game? Blizzard did that to the first three Warcraft games by simply pressing the "-" sign to slow down the game and "+" sign to speed up the game. No C&C game has that keyboard function implemented... ever. I never really like to get to the pause menu and change the game speed setting manually. Even all recent C&C games cannot change game speeds in-game unless you modify it in the skirmish menu which should apply to both campaign and skirmish.

Handy.

However, if this were to happen in a MP game, whenever an online player speeds up or slows down the game with a keyboard function should apply the speed for that game be equal to both players.

Such is the case with later C&C games, duh.

The sidebar was a proof-of-concept for Nyerguds to add to his patch.

Adding keyboard shortcuts to speed down and speed up the game isn't hard, but I'd make it work offline only.

The next update will have fixes made by allen262 for multiple singleplayer missions. Does anyone feel like creating new savegames for the campaign missions that were fixed?

Edited by Iran

I will test them, but I am unable to do so for a week or two - if you do not mind that time frame. Or is it simply the savegames (at which point in the missions?) you require?

Also, while at it, how do you enable the DOS icons mod? I would like to test the missions in full nostalgia :P would that require a recent build?

All the missions are tested. I just need to have new savegames for the fixed missions.

DOS should require a recent build I haven't released yet, I'm working on getting one out of the door soon. I'm actually gonna add support for the DOS interface to the config tool tomorrow.

I'm debugging a bug just now where the AI sells the Allies Tech Centre and from looking at the code the Soviet Tech Centre whenever it needs to raise power or raise money. From looking at the code:

[21:25:33] <iran> so either the comparison is wrong and westwood didnt want SPEN, SYARD, FCOM, FIX etc NOT to be sold
[21:25:43] <iran> or they wanted ATEK and STEK to be sold
[21:27:17] * austere has quit (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
[21:30:24] <iran> while the game code explicitly builds the ATEK and STEK
[21:31:04] <iran> I assume it's either a bug or they wanted the AI to exploit the bug where selling a tech center makes you keep the tech acquired from selling it
ATEK and STEK are the Allied and Soviet Tech Centre respectively. Anyone have any ideas what's going on?
If I patch it so ATEK and STEK have a higher priority so they're less likely to be sold I need to patch 4 bytes to 2 from the current value of 1. The bytes at 0x006019A5, 0x006019A9, 0x00601991 and 0x00601995. Actually I need to patch the game so custom priorities are retrieved for both function if the index is 6 (for ATEK) and 10 (for STEK).
If I patch the game so SPEN, SYARD etc also don't get sold (the multiplayer AI never builds them) I need to change some 'less than' logical comparisons to 'less than or equal'.
For raising money, the priority on those buildings is set 1, the highest priority is 4 set on the Con Yard, then 3 on Airfield and Advanced power Plant then 2 set on Helipad. For raising power Power Plant and Advanced Power Plant have priority 3 and Conyard priority 4, the buildings listed above have priority 1.
Edited by Iran

Can you make a mulitplayer option for 'fast ore regrowth'. Im sick of short matches with large players/AI. Maybe x3 growth? Would be enough for 7 AIs on a small map. And Im sure others would like the option too.

Sadly I can't.

Yeah I recognized the ore running out issue and investigated a mod map setting that increases the growth rate. Extract the maps from the .MIX file, rename them to .MPR, open the map file with a text editor. Then remove the '[Digest]' section and whatever it contains. It should be at the end of the map file look like this:

[Digest]
1=ZkcT/ffp4yrQ2AWUi3c9aGi6dao=

Then find the '[General]' section and add:

GrowthRate=.20

You might need to tweak the value. Alternatively you can modify RULES.INI and change the GrowthRate value there. It controls the rate at which Ore Mines spawn new ore and how long it takes for ore to spread, it might also affect actual ore 'growth'.

Edited by Iran

Sadly I can't.

Alternatively you can modify RULES.INI and change the GrowthRate value there. It controls the rate at which Ore Mines spawn new ore and how long it takes for ore to spread, it might also affect actual ore 'growth'.

If your patch becomes the 'defacto' patch for online play, could you use this RULES.INI value somehow? Would that avoid the desync issue?

You could ask if FunkyFr3sh is okay with adding this as an option to his lobby and I can add code to support it. Basically ask for an option to set the ore regrowth rate.

Can you make a mulitplayer option for 'fast ore regrowth'. Im sick of short matches with large players/AI. Maybe x3 growth? Would be enough for 7 AIs on a small map. And Im sure others would like the option too.

not sure if that is a good idea, cause settings like this can fill the whole map with ore if you try to use it on maps that werent made for it :P but you can add it to maps like iran said

I was thinking about adding an option which will change the game so that when capture an enemy CY and they are a different side from you get all technology in the game, even after the CY is destroyed. You still have the tech tree requirements though, i.e. before being able to buy Mammoth Tank you need a Tech Centre.

I did some experimentation with this by memory patching the game under a debugger and I was able to build every side's tech by patching the right spots in the game's code, but I'm not sure how well it works. Most importantly I need to figure out how to detect when you capture an enemy team's CY.

That requires effort and I'm willing to add support for this feature if enough people are interested in it.

Sounds like a good option to me. Too many times have a captured a structure, only for some little **** to appear out of nowhere and blow it up before I can make any worthwhile use of it.

I was thinking about adding an option which will change the game so that when capture an enemy CY and they are a different side from you get all technology in the game, even after the CY is destroyed. You still have the tech tree requirements though, i.e. before being able to buy Mammoth Tank you need a Tech Centre.

Is this the same logic as when you loose your own CY (and find a MCV) later? Do you keep your previous researched tech?

I'd just love to see the shared buildings head aches done away with. Nothing more pissy than trying to capture an enemy AIs WF even if you have the CY.

No it's different. When you capture an enemy building a variable for that object which contains the original side that built the unit is still set from the looks of it. So the game checks if you have a Soviet CY when you're allies by checking the original owner variable set. When you get a MCV this "original owner side" variable is set to your side I guess.

In C&C95 you get the full tech tree after capturing an enemy CY, but if you repack the CY into a MCV and then deploy the CY again you lose the tech you acquired, I'm wondering how that works.

For a report of this bug see:

http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=2420.0

Edited by Iran